Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1 Day in Paris ?

• 04-03-2012 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

We're planning our holidays and have a day spare, we plan to go into Paris for a look and feel of the place...
    We're staying out near Disney so will be able to get a train in and back...

Considering the limited time I have a few questions...
    What would you recommend as "must see/visit" on the day..?
    Hop on/off bus tickets... worth it for one day ??

Any suggestions welcome

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

bbam wrote: »
    Hop on/off bus tickets... worth it for one day ??

Yes. Probably the best way to get the most out of the city in a short amount of time, esp. as you'll have spent so much time on your feet in Disney.

The 40min boat ride from Pont Neuf (€10) is also worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭baker59

I thought the boat ride (took one near invalides) was terrible. Saw everything I was going to see anyway and the engine was too loud I couldn't hear the speaker.
    For one day.... I would recommend walking from Concorde to the Louvre through the Tuileries gardens and then down to Saint Michel and Notre Dame.
    At night time, go up Montparnasse tower. I think it was open until about 11.30pm, great view of Paris at night.

Also, if going to the Eiffel Tower, never get off at the metro station recommended, Bir Hakim, it's much nicer to approach it from Trocadero.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Also the wait to go up the tower may take up too much of your time if you only have just the 1 day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

A little secret for you - Bus 72 goes from Porte de Saint-Cloud to Hôtel de Ville goes around most of the sites in Paris for just one euro fifty one way, no hop on hop off but for that price its worth it for your whistle stop tour:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Ponster wrote: »
    Also the wait to go up the tower may take up too much of your time if you only have just the 1 day.
    Yea we'd reckond that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭OkayWhatever

Would you cycle around??

I was in Paris February last year and we hired out the 'Velib' bikes. They were so handy! Cycled around to all the main sites to see and saw a lot more too because we weren't underground on a Metro! Plus it was great fun too!

Saw some amazing things that we never would have seen otherwise. There's plenty of stations around too so you don't have to look too far to find a place to drop your bike off, or pick one up!

http://en.velib.paris.fr/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

Getting on a bustour is probably the best, as you're not going to have time to do much (you're quite a long way out of Paris at Marne-la-Vallée) - definitely go into the Tuileries Garden and Place de la Concorde where you can see all the way up to the Arc de Triomphe and looking the other way the Louvre. A peep into the courtyards of the Louvre and the Palais Royal. Try and get to the Ile de la Cité for Notre Dame but you won't have time to queue to get into the Sainte-Chapelle or the Conciergerie or to go up the towers of Notre Dame. Walk through the garden along the south side of Notre Dame, go across the small bridge and see if you can't manage to get an ice-cream at Bertillon's on the Ile Saint Louis. Definitely Trocadero for the view across to the Eiffel Tower (beware of pickpockets).

Advertisement