Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Location of advertisements

Options
  • 04-03-2012 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

I think that it's sneaky that boards place an ad link right under the page selection at the bottom right hand of the screen. The amount of times I have launched an ad by accident when using a touch pad must be in the hundreds, I hope boards don't get paid for ad revenue based on links from the site because if they are they are seriously misleading their partners in business

Anyone else find this really annoying? I frequent about 10 forum sites and this is the only one that does this
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Why complain...just install AdBlock+. Problem gone.

I can't understand why everyone doesn't use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Ludo wrote: »

I can't understand why everyone doesn't use it.
    Servers gotta get paid for somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Ludo wrote: »

No Adblock plus on mobile devices. It is quite annoying btw (do this a lot on the iPad), and fake clicks is considered cheating by some advertising companies (leading to lost revenue/banned).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Neil

The main site isn't built with touch devices in mind, i'm afraid this won't get a look in as we're not supporting the current User Interface on www.boards.ie as it is due a redesign in the coming year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

The main site isn't built with touch devices in mind, i'm afraid this won't get a look in as we're not supporting the current User Interface on www.boards.ie as it is due a redesign in the coming year.

what's the story with being signed in on mobile touch site and ads coming up in the middle of forums? I

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Neil

Subscribers have the option to turn them off but at the moment you have to login into your userCP and edit options.

Remove banner adverts? - tick remove.

guess I won't be getting that gold plated swimming pool anytime soon :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Subscribers have the option to turn them off but at the moment you have to login into your userCP and edit options.
    Remove banner adverts? - tick remove.
    I didn't mean ads in general, I just mean ads in the middle of threads/forums.
    That used to only happen (on desktop site anyway) for not logged in folk, but is happening on boards touch when logged in. Its showing journal ads.
    guess I won't be getting that gold plated swimming pool anytime soon :pac:

Wouldn't be the first Neil on Boards waiting for that :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Nok1a wrote: »
    I think that it's sneaky that boards place an ad link right under the page selection at the bottom right hand of the screen. The amount of times I have launched an ad by accident when using a touch pad must be in the hundreds, I hope boards don't get paid for ad revenue based on links from the site because if they are they are seriously misleading their partners in business

Anyone else find this really annoying? I frequent about 10 forum sites and this is the only one that does this
    A lot of forums insert ads disguised as posts in the thread - bloody sneaky (albeit clever) way of doing it and I always feel raped after being tricked into reading them.

Ads on boards aren't that intrusive - not that I see them much as I contribute towards Neil's swimming pool every year..:D

Advertisement