Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Courier work

Options
  • 04-03-2012 2:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 323 ✭✭

Hi, just posting to find out some info, I'm thinking of getting into courier work either on a pushbike or a moped, just looking to find out roughly what take home pay would be, and would I be classed as self employed for tax purposes. Any help would be greatly appreciated cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

pay is **** u literally have to work your ass off.you could be cycling from donnybrook to as far as the phoenix park which was the area for push bikes, god only knows how many times a day you would have to do it
    you'd want to have one great bike like the one's you see other couriers on which are very expensive
    iv done it on a mountain bike and was very hard on the legs.it was €1.40 a drop no basic wage for anyone starting off
    they ask you do you want to sort your own tax or they can do it for you which i later found out loads of couriers claim the dole and worked at the same time as i was wondering why they were doing it for such a small wage.
    i left after a few months i signed off the dole to do it and on a very good day id get what the dole payment was at the time
    luckily one drop i had made the manager noticed how worn out i was an asked was it worth it and offered me a job at his company and that was the end of that would never do it again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 323 ✭✭emigrate2012

cheers,I'd say thats bout all I need to hear to put me off it,nice one for the info.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

Did it for a day for one of the main companies. Only way to make money is know where all the usual businesses that use you are and know your way round Dublin like the back of your hand. That way you can do 2 or 3 drops at a time and make some dough. I made feck all because I spent most of the day trying to hear what the boss was saying on the walkie talkie and trying to find obscure doorways hidden down sidestreets. And it rained literally the entire day. I could see the potential in it if you had the required knowledge but the soaking put me off and I went back to working in a cosy office.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

cheers,I'd say thats bout all I need to hear to put me off it,nice one for the info.

Are you sure? Sounds like you had your heart set on it. Follow your dreams

• Registered Users Posts: 38 paulysoprano

Worked in it for 5 yrs might have to go back dreading it fecking mortgage, it wasnt as bad when we were getting a basic now most of it is on commission, Stay away from it pal.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Yillan wrote: »
    Are you sure? Sounds like you had your heart set on it. Follow your dreams
    Do you mean follow your username? :D

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Did it for two years and hated every second of it. Money was savage (although this was in 2002) could pull down 800/1000 a week no bother but i had the right motorbike and know the city inside out. Have a friend who did it for 16 years and only quit last month said it's gone to hell with feck all work and the price of petrol. His last weeks pay packet was 280 euro and that was before petrol etc...

Avoid i'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭bycikas

could someone working as courier tell me, how many packages courier get to deliver per hour/day? :) just wondering how many you get and how many you actually are able to deliver on city/nation level

would appreciate details :) you can send pm if you want. thanks

Advertisement