Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to get silky smooth legs?

• 04-03-2012 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

Hey!

I'm going to be getting my legs out soon (with hesitation!) so I'm wondering what people do/use to get silky smooth legs? What lotions/tips/tanning products would you all recommend?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

I exfoliate using "flake away" by Soap and Glory, shave with hair conditioner, and use baby oil after. I swear by my little routine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Exfoliate: either S&G's flake away, or exfoliating gloves from Boots with any old body scrub I have lying around.

Shave: hair conditioner is a brilliant alternative to shaving gel, especially if you're like me and always have half a bottle left after the matching shampoo is gone! But I recently discovered Venus Spa Breeze razors which don't require shaving gel, they're fantastic. Don't last too long though; I know disposable blades aren't meant to last for ages but I can usually get a bit longer out of them! The gel bars tend to disintegrate and crumble off as they dry within 2 weeks or so. It's probably a good thing as it forces me to change blades more frequently, so I'm not irritating my skin with blunt blades. Worth a try anyway.
    http://www.gillettevenus.com/en_US/products/disposables/disposables_spa_breeze/index.jsp

Moisturising: I have a healed burn on one leg that I'm using bio-oil on to try and get rid of the ugly purple mark. I've started using it on both legs now instead of just the damaged area. I've been using it for less than a month and I think it's just as good as any body lotion/cream/butter I've had before. Smells delicious too! Apparently it's good for aging skin; I'm only 24 but it can't hurt to ward off stretch marks early ;)
    Before I got the burn mark I was using clarins silky-smooth body cream. Expensive, incredibly moisturising, gorgeous smell and a lovely product to treat yourself too once in a while! I'll definitely return to it once the burn mark fades enough.

Can't help with the tanning thing, I've decided to embrace my milky Irish complexion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Shave with a new razor in the shower, the heat will open the follicles and you'll get a closer shave. Exfoliate, I find the exfoliating gloves are better for this as you can just lather up and wash at the same time. If you rinse your legs with cold water after the shower it will close the follicles too and your legs will be nice and smooth. I moisturise after (liberally - so my legs are all white :pac:) with Nivea body lotion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I use Boots Botanics Sugar Scrub in the shower once a week. It's oily so it's very moisturising. It can leave an oily layer on the skin for awhile afterwards but as I use it when I'm just going to be at home for the night it doesn't bother me.

I also use a body brush to dry brush my skin every day. I then use an Aveeno moisturiser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭IsaMtq

heap on loads of baby oil every night before bed - or any oil - sunflower seed oil is good too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

All the above, and also use a moisturising shower cream instead of gel, or even something like E45 bodywash. Don't exfoliate immediately after shaving as this could cause irritation, especially if you're using a body scrub. I use a loofah though, find it more affective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Exfoliate with a pair of scrub gloves and Aldi's macadamia oil shower cream.

Shave with my trusty Mach 3 and hair conditioner, as others have said.

Moisturise with Nivea's Q10 firming oil. I've only recently discovered this and it's AMAZING.

Tan with St. Moritz mousse applied with a mitt. It's about a fiver in Penney's and it's the best tan I've found. Goes on like a dream, doesn't smell like buttermilk and fades very evenly. You need to put a layer on and then rinse it off the next day. And obviously, don't moisturise immediately before you apply the tan or it won't "take".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

For soft, smooth skin, I use a body scrub, whichever one I have. I then use a body butter (I have dry skin, so find them better than lotions and creams).

I get my legs waxed every 5-6 weeks so they are smooth for about 3-4 weeks.

As for tan, I don't usually wear tan, but Dove Summer Glow is nice, it's not a tan as such, it just gives a very, very, very light colour. There are two type - one with shimmer and one without, I prefer the one without shimmer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Missy Moo Moo

Exfoliate before you shave, works a treat! I use hair conditioner too like other posters, I'm forever buying conditioners and when they don't work, they get used on the legs! Currently I'm using Lush American Cream, was a disaster on my hair but I love the vanilla smell.

For exfoliators, pretty much any Soap and Glory one, they're all excellent. Moisturise after every single shower, once you get into the habit, it'll become second nature. I've tried pretty much every body lotion out there and the ones that have worked have been kiehls creme de corps and clarins moisture rich body lotion. Expensive, but they both made a huge diference!

On days when you shave, you could always put a light layer of aloe Vera gel under your body lotion to soothe. This can be picked up cheaply enough at any health food store, or else you could use baby oil gel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Great tips here - thanks folks! :)

Just a point: I used a particular exfoliating scrub straight after shaving my legs a few months back, and had an allergic reaction (temporary severe eczema type thing) to the exfoliator. Now using it straight after shaving wasn't what caused the reaction alone, as I got the skin condition everywhere, but my legs were far, far worse than anywhere else, and for much longer - and I'd attribute that to the fact that the skin was more sensitive due to just being shaved. So be careful about exfoliating straight after shaving - maybe give the skin a while to "seal" or whatever.

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    Great tips here - thanks folks! :)

Just a point: I used a particular exfoliating scrub straight after shaving my legs a few months back, and had an allergic reaction (temporary severe eczema type thing) to the exfoliator. Now using it straight after shaving wasn't what caused the reaction alone, as I got the skin condition everywhere, but my legs were far, far worse than anywhere else, and for much longer - and I'd attribute that to the fact that the skin was more sensitive due to just being shaved. So be careful about exfoliating straight after shaving - maybe give the skin a while to "seal" or whatever.

Hi Dudess,

You should never exfoliate after shaving- Before shaving works as you're prepping the skin for the hair removal but your skin is gonna be extra sensitive after shaving and exfoliation will just irritate it further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I generally wax my legs with Veet Gel Wax. I find it much gentler than regular waxes but it still removes even the tiniest of hairs. If I'm between waxes and can't wait, I'll use conditioner and a razor blade. The razor I have at the moment is a Wilkinson Sword lady razor. It and the replacement blades were half price in Boots recently.

For exfoliator I currently use Soap & Glory The Breakfast Scrub. It has a yummy brown sugar and maple syrup scent to it. I'd also recommend Clinique Sparkle Skin (the blue one in the tub.) It has a super fine grain in it that is perfect for buffing away dry patches.

Moisturiser is Soap & Glory The Righteous Butter. It's luxurious and creamy without being too thick or oily. It also has a lovely scent. S&G products are 3 for in Boots right now.

Once a week I use Lush's Argan Oil body conditioner. It is so lovely for that dewey fresh, soft feeling! Towards the end of my shower I slather it all over, leave it for a few mins and then rinse it off and pat dry.

I use He Shi Liquid Express Tan. It's like water so you can buff it in quickly and easily and it dries in about 5 mins. I put it on at night and shower it off in the morning. It has gold/brown tones to it rather than orange so even if you want to go darker you shouldn't look tango-ed! I generally only apply it once a week for a natural looking golden glow, then I just moisturise regularly during the week to keep it from drying out.

I generally wax my legs with Veet Gel Wax. I find it much gentler than regular waxes but it still removes even the tiniest of hairs. If I'm between waxes and can't wait, I'll use conditioner and a razor blade. The razor I have at the moment is a Wilkinson Sword lady razor. It and the replacement blades were half price in Boots recently.

For exfoliator I currently use Soap & Glory The Breakfast Scrub. It has a yummy brown sugar and maple syrup scent to it. I'd also recommend Clinique Sparkle Skin (the blue one in the tub.) It has a super fine grain in it that is perfect for buffing away dry patches.

Moisturiser is Soap & Glory The Righteous Butter. It's luxurious and creamy without being too thick or oily. It also has a lovely scent. S&G products are 3 for in Boots right now.

Once a week I use Lush's Argan Oil body conditioner. It is so lovely for that dewey fresh, soft feeling! Towards the end of my shower I slather it all over, leave it for a few mins and then rinse it off and pat dry.

I use He Shi Liquid Express Tan. It's like water so you can buff it in quickly and easily and it dries in about 5 mins. I put it on at night and shower it off in the morning. It has gold/brown tones to it rather than orange so even if you want to go darker you shouldn't look tango-ed! I generally only apply it once a week for a natural looking golden glow, then I just moisturise regularly during the week to keep it from drying out.

Love the sound of the Lush body conditioner- that's just been added to my ever increasing wish list!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

I exfoliate beforehand with Body Shop Scrub and then I moisturise afterwards. I'd always use decent blades too.

Even with all this,I still end up with really itchy legs!I come out in a bit of a rash and it's really tough not to scratch.:(

Any idea what I'm doing wrong or any products that might work better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

I've really sensitive legs, I always make sure the bathroom is very hot and the water is hot, I gently exfoliate with mitts and then shave my legs with a really rich lather with a moisturising shower gel.
    I like St. Ives collagen elastine for after my shower, I always make sure to keep my legs away from a chill after shaving them, if I close the pores on my legs too fast the get very itchy.
    body butters for night time are lovely too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I exfoliate beforehand with Body Shop Scrub and then I moisturise afterwards. I'd always use decent blades too.

Even with all this,I still end up with really itchy legs!I come out in a bit of a rash and it's really tough not to scratch.:(

Any idea what I'm doing wrong or any products that might work better?

Is there a lubricating strip on your razor blades? You could well be allergic to that. Try changing to a different brand and see if that makes any difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Missmiddleton

Slather on a bit of "the Righteous Body Butter" by Soap&Glory straight after showers and especially after shaving. Locks that moisture right in there.

Advertisement