Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to find Bats and Bat roosts (pipistrelles), Help!

Options
  • 04-03-2012 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Does anyone know of any pipistrelle bat roosts in their area, (I need to know exactly where they are roosting). I would be willing to travel, but ideally roots between mayo and limerick would be ideal.
    I am a postgrad student conducting research on the Bats. I am comparing the Diet of two cryptic (morphologically similar but reproductively separate) species of Pipistrelle; the common and soprano pipistrelle. I need to collect droppings from each species, on 5 of 6 different occasions throughout spring-summer-autumn.
    Both species of pipistrelle are very common throughout Ireland, and if you have had bats in your house they are generally pips.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,273 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

hmez3 wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any pipistrelle bat roosts in their area, (I need to know exactly where they are roosting). I would be willing to travel, but ideally roots between mayo and limerick would be ideal.
    I am a postgrad student conducting research on the Bats. I am comparing the Diet of two cryptic (morphologically similar but reproductively separate) species of Pipistrelle; the common and soprano pipistrelle. I need to collect droppings from each species, on 5 of 6 different occasions throughout spring-summer-autumn.
    Both species of pipistrelle are very common throughout Ireland, and if you have had bats in your house they are generally pips.
    Thanks.

Can't say for sure what species they are but plenty of bats roost around Moore Hall between ballinrobe and castlebar. Was out there one night with a bat detector and there were several species around. They roost in the ruins of the house and also the buildings out back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 hmez3

Thanks Mickeroo,

I only live about 20 minutes from Moore Hall so I should be able check them out soon enough. I have a bat detector also, so I will use that first to see if they are the right ones. Hopefully they will be in their summer roosts by now.

I might also mention that the bats will not be disturbed, my research is non-invasive and droppings will be collected from unterneath bat roosts at night, when the bats have left the roost to hunt.

Thanks for you help! :)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,273 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

No worries, good luck with the research!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

• Registered Users Posts: 7 hmez3

I have been in contact with Bat conservation Ireland and the NPWS before and they were very helpful in getting samples in the past (lesser Horseshoe mostly). But I would just like to make some of my own contacts as well instead of pestering them to take time out of their busy day to help me with my research.

Ideally, it would be great to find someone who has bats roosting in the attic of their house, leaving droppings on window sills or on the attic floor.
    Easy access - no disturbance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭bombadil

PM sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

hmez3 wrote: »
    Thanks.

check any nursing homes... plenty of old bats in there :D

Advertisement