Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right from the start. Unable to run for a minute ----> To a Marathon.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

PM don't be too hard on yourself, a PB is a PB and you have gained valuable racing experience amongst a busy crowd. You also have something to improve on next time around.

If you are ever in doubt about your distances you can always double check against a site like mapmyrun which is pretty accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Ooops - I've left this a bit too long and had to rescue it from 8 pages back. :D

The continued story so far goes like this ...

Monday 2nd
    11.29km (7 mile) LSR 1:12:11 total time. I had felt a bit sore (groin area) after the 5 mile race and although there was no pain on the run I did have some discomfort later.

Wednesday 4th
    5.14km ran at a consistent pace just under 6 min per kilometre. Happy enough with the pace but again slight niggles with the groin. Total time 30:39

Thursday 5th
    5.07km ran at what felt like the same consistent pace but with 5 x 100m sprints thrown in along the way. Total time 30:51 - slightly slower than the previous days non sprinting. :confused: This time though the groin was noticably sore very soon after and I felt pain any time I had to close my legs. I decided to rest up and give things a chance to heal.

Monday 9th
    First run in a few days after the rest. LSR of 7 miles in 1:16:08. As sods law would have it my groin feels grand but I now have a sore knee :mad: Probably over compensated for the groin and sub conciously and ran awkwardly. Tomorrow is a rest day for me anyway so fingers crossed all will be ok for Wednesday.

On the good news front - weight has started to come off again :) I've had quite a few weeks of a weight loss plateau but 2lbs have come off in the past 2 weeks. Am down to 201 lbs now so with a bit of luck will be celebrating being under 200 in the coming couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭zarkov

I've just been reading your log with great interest. Some of the other beginners threads get a bit intimidating after a few pages. I spent the last few months walking and 'learning how to run' to build up fitness and loose weight after years of in-activity (currently 234lbs). A home-grown C25K in other words. I jumped into the HH novice 1 program on week 2 (last week) with the intention of seeing how I get on and with one eye on the end of October.
    I ran my first LSR (7m) yesterday evening after spending most of the day dreading the thoughts of it - sulked all day. Did it in 1h 17m. I can do the weekday 3m in around 30mins and I can manage a mile in 8m 25sec (full tilt). I'm not sure what these times really mean in the context of a marathon but I'll keep at it. Keep the posts coming.

zarkov wrote: »
    I've just been reading your log with great interest. Some of the other beginners threads get a bit intimidating after a few pages. I spent the last few months walking and 'learning how to run' to build up fitness and loose weight after years of in-activity (currently 234lbs). A home-grown C25K in other words. I jumped into the HH novice 1 program on week 2 (last week) with the intention of seeing how I get on and with one eye on the end of October.
    I ran my first LSR (7m) yesterday evening after spending most of the day dreading the thoughts of it - sulked all day. Did it in 1h 17m. I can do the weekday 3m in around 30mins and I can manage a mile in 8m 25sec (full tilt). I'm not sure what these times really mean in the context of a marathon but I'll keep at it. Keep the posts coming.

Hi zarkov - thanks very much for that. Sometimes these logs feel like you are rabbiting on to yourself and it's great to know that other people are actually reading them.

What's also great is to hear from someone who is in and around the same level as me - I totally get what you mean by the other logs being intimidating at times. Sometimes it can be off putting to read another "beginner" who appears to be capable of running at double your speed for 5 times as long :D Congratulations on your progress so far - I know how much of an effort you have put in to get to where you are.

As for the one eye on October - are you thinking about running or have you entered the DCM ? It's still too early to call times for me - anything from 4 to 5.5 hours is in the cards for me. (Best case super human scenario is 4 hours - worst case a 5.5 and most likely somewhere in the middle)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Hi PM, am new to boards, your thread caught my eye, well done on what you have achieved. I am really interested in trying the couch to 5k. I tried it last year, and enjoyed the bit I did, but had to give up for various reasons. Now I am anxious to get started again. I rem from my previous attempt, that I was able to do about half of the running in each minute in my first week, so I just stuck with the first week until I was able to do the full minute. I am not fit, I could do with losing a bit of weight, not a huge amount. I get a bit intimidated when I see how quickly others move through the full programme. Is it better to stay at my own pace, i.e it could take me three/ four weeks to be actually completing the intervals on week one (if that makes sense). Any advice welcome, I intend to get started tomorrow evening. (Oh and how do you dress for running in this weather?)

• Advertisement

LynnGrace wrote: »
    Hi PM, am new to boards, your thread caught my eye, well done on what you have achieved. I am really interested in trying the couch to 5k. I tried it last year, and enjoyed the bit I did, but had to give up for various reasons. Now I am anxious to get started again. I rem from my previous attempt, that I was able to do about half of the running in each minute in my first week, so I just stuck with the first week until I was able to do the full minute. I am not fit, I could do with losing a bit of weight, not a huge amount. I get a bit intimidated when I see how quickly others move through the full programme. Is it better to stay at my own pace, i.e it could take me three/ four weeks to be actually completing the intervals on week one (if that makes sense). Any advice welcome, I intend to get started tomorrow evening. (Oh and how do you dress for running in this weather?)

Hi LynnGrace

Welcome to boards. :)

What I would say to you is this - try slow down the intervals if you can't do them. Even if that means your "run" is more of a slight jog a fraction faster than running. That's preferable to repeating a week IMO. It will give you the satisfaction and continued motivation to progress rather than repeat. Obviously if you need to repeat a session or week then do so.

Try not to be intimidated by how fast others may go through the program and for that matter how fast or slow they may be when running. The only person to compare yourself with is yourself. You're already a huge improvement on yourself the moment you stand up off that coach and decide to run. That's a great start. Running an extra 10 seconds is an improvement. All the little improvements come together and before you know it you're running a 30 minute session and beyond. The couch to 5k programs are ideal for this. I was in your shoes back in January. I'm now training for this years marathon. Enough little steps = miles of improvement. :)

If running outdoors I run in shorts and running top - if it's raining I have a very light jacket (was originally a rain gear for cycling) that I throw over to keep myself as dry as possible. I find that once out there the cold / rain really isn't an issue as my excercise keeps me warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Ooops - I've left this a bit too long and had to rescue it from 8 pages back. :D

Although it seems silly to follow ones own thread it does make it much easier to find to update!

Ha Dazza21ie - you're right of course. I am a follower of the thread as such - I was just reading through other logs when I found my own so far back. :)

Wed 11

Approx 6k in 36 minutes.

A nice run today - Endomondo went a bit haywire and told me I had done my second kilometre in 4 min :D (turned out it lost GPS at one stage and had placed me a good distance from where I was - then when it found me again calculated as if I had ran there and back) It was on unfamilar territory around the blanchardstown centre area so I wasn't sure how far or at what pace I was running until I double checked the maps etc later. Knee held up well. Slightly sore towards the end but nothing too bad.

PM thanks so much for the encouragement! All I did so far was a walk on Wed evening between the showers. I am making a start today. I know from my last attempt that my run was barely faster than my walking pace, but I enjoyed it, and felt I was achieving something-for me. I am being realistic, I won't ever do a marathon, but I hope to enjoy my attempt at couch to 5k.
    Best of luck, you are doing fantastic. This thread is very encouraging.

PM thanks so much for the encouragement! All I did so far was a walk on Wed evening between the showers. I am making a start today. I know from my last attempt that my run was barely faster than my walking pace, but I enjoyed it, and felt I was achieving something-for me. I am being realistic, I won't ever do a marathon, but I hope to enjoy my attempt at couch to 5k.
    Best of luck, you are doing fantastic. This thread is very encouraging.

I'm not letting you awy with that one :D

Would you like to run a marathon ? Because if you would like to some day then you are being the total opposite of realistic to say you won't ever do one. The truth is you are more than capable of doing it. It would require hard work and determination but you CAN do one.

The danger of saying I can't do this or that is it sets you up for failure. I could never do a marathon --> If I can't do a marathon well I probably can't do a half marathon either --> you know what I probably can't do 10k either that's very far ---> Oh can I even hope for a 5k etc etc etc Even if you don't particularly want to run a marathon (that's a personal choice of course) don't think to yourself that you couldn't if you wanted to.

Start with your best foot forward - You are capable of some day running a marathon. To get there will take time. When you can run for a minute then you aim for two minutes, then 5 minutes then 1 kilometre then 2 kilometres then 5 kilometres etc etc etc because with that mentallity you are saying to yourself I can do this because only last week, month I did the guts of it and this is only little bit more.

When you get on that treadmill, or take that first step outside today - step out with a can do rather than can't do attitude. I promise you it will make things easier, more enjoyable and a lot more satisfactory.

Good luck and let us know how you get on !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 RunMummyRun

Well done, you have been my inspiration for starting a thread on here.

I'm new to running myself, started in February, aiming for the half-marathon in September!

Well done, you have been my inspiration for starting a thread on here.

I'm new to running myself, started in February, aiming for the half-marathon in September!

That's very humbling :o Thank you very much.

I will be following your own log with interest. :)

Thursday 12th - Just when you thought running was doing the same thing day in day out.

6.2km in 38 min 44 secondsI had a great run yesterday. I love running in new places (not neccessarily never been there before but never having ran there before) I parked up in Westpoint in Blanchardstown and decided I would take a jog towards Castleknock and do some sort of loop back to Blanchardstown. I didn't have a set run in mind. Again that can keep things interesting. I got as far as the railway bridge over Castleknock and saw a wide path leading along the canal and a spur of the moment right turn was taken with the idea I would run along the canal for a while and then head back to Blanch centre.

The nice wide paved path gave way though to a mucky yet rough trail which got progressively narrower and narrower to the point that it was at times hard to see the path. Either side of the path was outgrowing bushes and leaves and I really had to concentrate to keep my pace steady, adjust the footsteps to land on smooth ground, kick down jagged branches etc. I ended up running the guts of a full kilometre through the undergrowth without really noticing that I had ran so far. My heart was thumping, adrenaline was flowing and I came out the far side at coolmine feeling like I had just broken a world record. Such a great buzz - and I am going to investigate some cross country running at some stage.

Friday 13th

8.88km in 55:31

Another unplanned run this one. I was scheduled to run 5k on my training plan but work got in the way this morning. I was under some time pressure this evening too but I did have my running gear in the car. Decided to run home instead of drive. Didn't overly push myself but still ended up with a horrific stitch which had me close to tears at one point. Walked some of it off and got my ass in gear again but the stitch was still painful.

I turned the final corner to my house and found my 6 year old waiting for me at the end of the street. This felt like coming home to a heroes welcome. She runs up to me and challenges me to a race back to the house. For the first time ever I didn't have to fake the loss - I couldn't keep up with her I was that sore from the stitch :D

The great thing though was how quickly my body recovered from the run. Within 40 seconds of finishing the stitch was gone, I wasn't in any way shape or form out of breath and my heart was beating as normal. That to me is a sign of an increasing fitness level and stitches aside I was delighted with the run home.

Well done PM! Bet your six year old was delighted with the win :). To answer your question to me, no I don't want to run a marathon. But I do want to get fit, lose a bit of weight and enjoy my running. I started yesterday as planned, intend to do Mon, Wed and Friday. I was able to do about two-thirds of each running piece, and am pleased to be off to a start. I think posting here will be good cos I have to keep coming back to say how I got on. Even that thought got me out and started yesterday evening. I had said I would start so I wanted to come back and be able to say it here. Keep up the good work PM.

Well done PM! Bet your six year old was delighted with the win :). To answer your question to me, no I don't want to run a marathon. But I do want to get fit, lose a bit of weight and enjoy my running. I started yesterday as planned, intend to do Mon, Wed and Friday. I was able to do about two-thirds of each running piece, and am pleased to be off to a start. I think posting here will be good cos I have to keep coming back to say how I got on. Even that thought got me out and started yesterday evening. I had said I would start so I wanted to come back and be able to say it here. Keep up the good work PM.

She was :D

That's the beauty of the forum - it does motivate you to follow through on your training. I've had more than one occasion where what actually got me out the door was having to announce to everyone I hadn't ran (or not post about the run which is the same thing!)

Congratulations on the start.

:o Had a really bad week, walked most days but nothing very taxing. Am starting out again this evening with Couch to 5k, and then back into my Mon, Wed, Friday pattern. The rain last week always seemed to arrive just as I was thinking of going out. I know I will have to get into going out even when it was raining. I will, I promise!

Since my last post I have been away. Managed to squeeze in my required runs (well runs included an awful amount of walking) due to extreme heat and hills. Am back home now and ready to knuckle down again. :)

:o Had a really bad week, walked most days but nothing very taxing. Am starting out again this evening with Couch to 5k, and then back into my Mon, Wed, Friday pattern. The rain last week always seemed to arrive just as I was thinking of going out. I know I will have to get into going out even when it was raining. I will, I promise!

I used to hate the rain - would actively avoid it. Then I ran the Samsung night race in typhoon conditions. After that the bog standard rain was actually refreshing. :)

How did you get on since ?

Haven't had a great week at all :(

Went out for my LSR on Monday and lasted about 2 kilometres before I came close to passing out on the side of the road (through illness rather than over doing the run) I therefore had to call a halt to the run and walk home feeling sorry for myself !

Gave it a couple of days off and went out for a run on Wednesday which went a bit better. 7k done in 46 minutes. It was a very start / stop run with plenty of walking breaks. The kind of positive was that the walks were more of a fitness letting me down scenario rather than a medical collapse letting me down. smile.gif

We received some bad news on Wednesday though - my uncle passed away after a sudden illness. This meant a trip down the country to a funeral and running took a back seat.

I'm scheduled to be running next Mondays 10k Dun Laoghaire bay race. I'm going to be chasing a PB and hoping to break 1 hour. (Best and only official 10k time was 67 minutes in the Samsung night race - I know I can beat this but would love to break 1 hour) Preparation has been less than ideal though so fingers crossed on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Sorry to hear about your uncle. I'd say you've had a tough old week. Hopefully your residual fitness will see you through the 10k....might be for the best that you had an easy week and you'll go out on Monday and smash your PB!! :)

• Advertisement

This was my 3rd preparation race of the year having ran (or more accurately jogged wink.gif the Samsung 10k night race in just over 1 hour 8 minutes and the Irish runner 5 mile in just shy of 48 minutes. I was chasing a PB obviously and was hoping to squeeze in under an hour. That said the last couple of weeks had been a bit of a write off running wise as you would know.

Turned up to the starting line and was struck by how well organised the start was. Plenty of toilets available, no queues for them, loads of marshalls about, a big open area for a group warm up and a very well observed / enforced wave system.

The race started on time and straight away I felt that the waves themselves were a lot better observed than my previous 5 mile run. This may have ultimately been a bad thing for me though personally as with very little out of pace runners to navigate I ended up doing the first 2k at 5:30 pace - much too fast for me. In fact by 3K despite slowing down dramatically I was close to throwing up mid run. So began 7K of running interspersed with walk breaks (especially from 3k - 5k which was an uphill struggle to say the least) which wasn't the plan nor the ideal strategy. My previous 10k time of 1:08:11 was at a slow and steady non stop run with no walking so I was a bit out of sorts with the too fast start. Add into it my endomondo app crashing I had no idea how I was doing pace wise until I saw the timer at the 5k mark which I went through at 32:35

The course itself was tough going up until that 5k mark and I was surprised to see 32:35 up there. I thought I had blown it completely and was encouraged by the fact I was still on course for a PB all be it that hopes of breaking 1 hour were as good as written off. Tried a bit too hard to make up for time lost on the uphill on the next downhill stretch and it's fair to say it was counter productive.

Support along the way was very good. OK it wasn't 10 deep like the Olympic marathon biggrin.gif but every single junction had spectators at it encouraging us along. At St Catherines Park 3 lunatics had brought a sofa out to the end of their driveway and were sitting there with a bag of cans each supporting / heckling the runners. I had my number chanted as I was on one of my slow downs as I passed them. I called them a shower of bastards but it was all in good spirit. Halfway down Castlepark Road and I was really feeling the strain. Overheated and thirsty I could have kissed the family who had set up a makeshift water station outside their house. If anyone here knows them please give them my heartfelt thanks. It was very much appreciated.

At this point I was at 8k and knowing that the end was nearly there I became aware of a group of us that were leap frogging each other up and down the positions as bursts of energy or dreaded slow downs came into play but staying close by all the same. Suddenly we were in Glasthule and just about to turn left onto the seafront where 2 ladies had been waiting for someone just behind me (shortly to be in front of me) I had a bit of a giggle as they announced to her that they were going to run with her to the finish not realising that the finish was not where the race had started and had a kilometre to cover with her. Their friend was saying to them not to bother (and to be fair to her they were only slowing her down) so they abandoned their effort and she ran off into the distance. I had no chance of keeping up with her !

The little hill at Teddys ice cream shop was cruel and I ended up having my final little walk there. I wanted to be strong for the finish ! and took off with a bit of pace towards the finish. One of the runners I had noticed earlier in that little group took a fall about 400 metres out. I don't know if she tripped over the foot of the barrier or stumbled and then fell into it but God bless her she had only hit the ground and was back up running. I didn't see her after but I hope she was ok.

I came in sight of the finish and saw the clock was heading for 1 hour 4 minutes - I was determined to get there before that and dug deep. My mother wife and daughter were waiting for me just before the finish and I could hear them screaming at me which was very encouraging. I landed with a clock time of 1:03:45. My chip time came in via text and I was delighted to see I came in at 1:02:51 a PB by over 5 minutes. Not the hour smashing time I would have loved but a good time for me.

I have one negative about the event and it has already been stated here. The queue at the end for the water / yoghurt etc was disastrous. I was shattered and couldn't wait to get a drink. I ended up turning around and heading for the shopping centre to buy one. It's the only reason I gave the race a 4 out of 5. If it was marks out of 10 it would have been a 9.

I will be back next year for definite - hopefully I will have broken that 1 hour mark before then but if not I will be gunning for it then. I'd also like to next year to beat the following who managed to beat me this year: bloke running with buggy, bloke in chipmunk suit and worst of all bloke running backwards. biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Great running PM :D With a better prep you would deffo have gone under the hour. You should be well pleased with yourself! Really enjoyed reading your race report too:D

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

^ ditto, great report and well done! :)

Thanks guys. Much appreciate the feedback. :)

The rest of this week calls for a 3 mile, 6 mile and 3 mile run. Took yesterday off after the race but wasn't quite in the mood / place for it this morning so decided to leave it until this evening and nearly postponed again but sucked it up and got on with it.

5.5k done in 35:50 - this was my first run in over 3 weeks that was completed without a walk break. I think I needed that badly as confidence and enthusiasm for this years DCM was starting to wane.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zooming

PM are you doing the half in September?

zooming wrote: »

Yep - am signed up for the 10 mile and half marathon races (although race might be a bit of a stretch in terms :))

Ran home from work thursday tonight - total distance of 9km. About 600m shy of the scheduled 6 mile but will take it. Had a couple of elective walk breaks on the way - with a subtle difference that I had planned a couple of 100m walks along the way and took the first one in particular even though I didn't desperately need it. Conquered a bitch of a hill non stop (it's a 22 metre climb in 1 kilometre according to google earth) after 7k. Covered the 9k in just under 59 minutes but didn't feel shattered at the end. I know it's relatively slow but it's a good time for a comfortable mid distance run for me.

zooming wrote: »

Yep - am signed up for the 10 mile and half marathon races (although race might be a bit of a stretch in terms :))
    I think you are doing great! I was aiming for the Dublin full in October, but a family event has been scheduled on that exact day and I'm unable to get out of it. I was a bit annoyed but decided that it must be a sign that I wasn't ready for the full just yet. I'm doing the half in September, I'm sloooow running at an average of 11.40 mm so I'm hoping to do it in slightly over 2hrs 30.

Progress ??? report.

Went out for my LSR yesterday evening / last night (it was night before finishing tongue.gif) Ended up with 18k done which is my furthest ever distance. I also took my first 2 sets of gels which I think I did benefit from energy wise along the way.

There is though a set of negatives with this. I struggled and struggled badly from the halfway point on and literally limped home half running / half walking. Total time of 2 hours 15 minutes for 18k would be heading towards a well over 5 hours time in October.

Pace wise I went out at a slow pace - covered the first 7k in 47 minutes so circa 6:45 per km which to be fair couldn't have been much slower without walking. By the time I got home it had fallen back to over 8:00 per km. The issue simply was that my legs couldn't take it. My breathing was fine, mentally I was fine, I felt like I had plenty of energy (the gels did help on this) but my legs couldn't do it if that makes any sense. Muscles and joints ached and the legs were wobbling / stopping before I even realised it. Even now the following morning I am in a lot of pain walking.

I've come to the unfortunate conclusion that I have jumped into this a bit too soon. I really should have given it a year running and losing weight before signing up for DCM. I knew it would be tough but I didn't realise how slow my progress would be and October seems very close at this point !

All that said I'm not a quitter and will be pushing on. I do think though that my goal will have to be just to finish the thing this year and begin worrying about times / running it all the way etc next year when I will be starting from a solid base rather than starting as a complete beginner to running.

• Advertisement

I know what you mean, I was gutted when I couldnt do DCM, but to be honest I think it was a blessing in disguise! Im going to concentrate on this half in September and work my way up to the full next year, I have my name in the ballot for London so who knows...
    I dont think people realise just how bloody far a marathon is!!!! Keep it up, you can do it!

Advertisement