Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right from the start. Unable to run for a minute ----> To a Marathon.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zooming

Whatever you decide, all the very best of luck to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

I only stumbled across this thread this morning. I'll admit I only read the first few pages and then skipped ahead to the last page.

PM - I'd listen to the advice about giving it a miss. I suffered a stress fracture myself last year while training for DCM. It did NOT show up on 2 separate x-rays that I had. It was only shown on an MRI as drquirky has already mentioned.

I had the pain for a while but I kept training on it.... I even set my PB for a 5k in last year's Rathfarnham 5k race.... I limped home afterwards. It was on the following week's LSR that I felt the extreme pain... The stress fracture was diagnosed the next day.

I know how disappointing it is to pull out of a race. Especially the marathon (I had no choice due to the boot I had to wear) - but there will be other races. Enter a spring marathon to focus on - and concentrate on healing injuries for the time being.

Best of luck whatever you decide to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Hi PM, have been reading a few of your posts on that thread awhile back, on Kurt's log and on here. I'm fascinated by it all. One on hand I'd like to see how you get on as you've built it up now :) but to be honest the experienced guys are right. Running 26.2 miles with a bad injury is insanity. You have to ask yourself why you are doing this? Why are you willing to put your untrained body through such unnatural stress? Plodding around in over 5 hours doesn't really prove much. We already know you can finish a marathon. How do we know this? Because ANYONE can run a marathon. It really is not that hard once somebody does a bit of work for it. Trust in yourself and get yourself well and have a proper crack at it when you are ready.

As for the training thing, I did a marathon a few years ago (in a previous running life) off pretty sh1t training. I got slated a bit in my log. I ran something like 320 miles in total over 5 and a half months, running only 3 days a week. I did run some good LSR's, getting up to 21.5 miles. I got through the marathon fine and didn't hit a wall, so yes it can be done, but to be fair I had run other distances the previous 2 years, and was 9 stone in weight at the time. Completely different story for somebody who is 16 stone (no offence). I was proud of myself at the time, but after the dust settled and I got into sprints there is not a single day where I look back at my under-prepared 4:07 marathon with any sense of achievement. You think it is the biggest thing in the world at the time, but honestly, something bigger will come along (whether it is a different marathon, or something else).

Again you have to ask yourself, why are you willing to go do this on Monday? Do the rewards outweigh the risks?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    Hi PM, have been reading a few of your posts on that thread awhile back, on Kurt's log and on here. I'm fascinated by it all. One on hand I'd like to see how you get on as you've built it up now :) but to be honest the experienced guys are right. Running 26.2 miles with a bad injury is insanity. You have to ask yourself why you are doing this? Why are you willing to put your untrained body through such unnatural stress? Plodding around in over 5 hours doesn't really prove much. We already know you can finish a marathon. How do we know this? Because ANYONE can run a marathon. It really is not that hard once somebody does a bit of work for it. Trust in yourself and get yourself well and have a proper crack at it when you are ready.

As for the training thing, I did a marathon a few years ago (in a previous running life) off pretty sh1t training. I got slated a bit in my log. I ran something like 320 miles in total over 5 and a half months, running only 3 days a week. I did run some good LSR's, getting up to 21.5 miles. I got through the marathon fine and didn't hit a wall, so yes it can be done, but to be fair I had run other distances the previous 2 years, and was 9 stone in weight at the time. Completely different story for somebody who is 16 stone (no offence). I was proud of myself at the time, but after the dust settled and I got into sprints there is not a single day where I look back at my under-prepared 4:07 marathon with any sense of achievement. You think it is the biggest thing in the world at the time, but honestly, something bigger will come along (whether it is a different marathon, or something else).

Again you have to ask yourself, why are you willing to go do this on Monday? Do the rewards outweigh the risks?

No offence taken - I'm actually down to 14.5 now but the compression top still isn't a pretty sight. ;)

Ha I'm nearly afraid to read my own log at the moment as it seems to be a procession of posters questioning sanity :D Just to be 100% clear - I'm very grateful for the advice and views from everyone here. I know that anyone questioning my choice to go ahead isn't doing so to belittle me and are doing so out of genuine concern.

There's a lot of questions in that post and they can all boil down to WHY ?

I'm going to lay it out here as best as I can.

Back in January when I started running I had come off the back of a health scare (Chest pains with a family history of heart attacks) Diagnosis was good - heart was ok but that I was unfit, overweight and stressed out and I needed to improve my lifestyle drastically. As a seperate issue myself and Mrs Messiah had been trying for a baby for many years. I was told by the fertility clinic that it would be beneficial to lose weight and get myself a lot fitter to increase the chances of a baby. So double the motivation to get off the couch and start something. The log here tells it like it is - I think you can see from reading back through it how much progress was made. I love running - love it (hate it too ;)) My progress fitness wise is a mirror image of my personal progress elsewhere. I feel good about myself, weight is coming off, fitness is improving, I'm nowhere near as stressed as I once was, haven't had a chest pain in months - and most importantly have a baby on the way. :):):)

As a seperate factor once I had decided to run the marathon I decided to raise funds for two charities (again mentioned in the log earlier so I won't bore people with the details) but these are charities very very close to home - both deal with cancer support. I've lost my closest family to cancer and have borne personal witness to and met a young girl who sadly lost her battle. But before losing it she was an inspration to those around her despite the suffering. The pain of a sore leg is nothing and I mean nothing compared to that. Doing this is a tribute to them and their memory.

From a personal point of view as well I am stubborn as a mule. I simply hate backing down from anything and only do so if my hand is truly forced. I'd view not running this as a personal failure and I've had my fill of them for one life too. :)

The above aren't excuses as such but they are my reasons. I know that there is a counter argument to all of those points, long term fitness is being risked, would those people want to see me hurt in their memory, it's not a failure to walk away with pride etc. I know all this. I really do.

I just don't see things as being as bad as some posters here fear. I know I can get around the course. It may not be too pleasant after the half way point. It certainly won't be in the best time I could have done without an injury / interrupted training but I will be over the moon with the achievement and always will view it as an achievement - even when I have hopefully moved onto better marathons and other things in life which are far more important again. I'm happy to do this and take the pain that comes with it. For me personally it will be worth it but at the same time I can also understand the viewpoints of those who think it is not worth it.

With all due respect, there is also the question of how selfish are you being by going ahead with it?

What does your wife make of you going ahead while injured? If you do serious damage to yourself while trying to complete DCM out of stubbornness - does that mean she will be stuck doing more (housework, minding the child etc. etc.) while she's expecting another baby? That's a lot to put on her - both physically and mentally...

Or even put yourself in her shoes. If the roles were reversed, would you be OK with her trying to complete the marathon on Monday?

Re: Charities - You won't be letting anyone down by pulling out due to injury - I'm sure there is a way you could transfer the sponsorship you've been promised to another marathon in the spring.

Fair play to you for doing something about your weight and health scare. I've been in that position myself on both counts and it can be worrying, embarrassing as well as scary.

I doubt anyone will be able to talk you out of it at this stage. I've read stories about people like David Goggins who ran 100 miles in under 19 hours with zero training because he wanted to raise money for charities close to his heart. He was left with broken metatarsals in both feet and a case of kidney failure from that race... But he's a freak of nature (and a Navy SEAL).

As I said I doubt anyone will talk you out of it. So I hope it goes well for you. Just remember it's not the be all and end all. There will always be other marathons.

• Advertisement

With all due respect, there is also the question of how selfish are you being by going ahead with it?

What does your wife make of you going ahead while injured? If you do serious damage to yourself while trying to complete DCM out of stubbornness - does that mean she will be stuck doing more (housework, minding the child etc. etc.) while she's expecting another baby? That's a lot to put on her - both physically and mentally...

Or even put yourself in her shoes. If the roles were reversed, would you be OK with her trying to complete the marathon on Monday?

Re: Charities - You won't be letting anyone down by pulling out due to injury - I'm sure there is a way you could transfer the sponsorship you've been promised to another marathon in the spring.

Fair play to you for doing something about your weight and health scare. I've been in that position myself on both counts and it can be worrying, embarrassing as well as scary.

I doubt anyone will be able to talk you out of it at this stage. I've read stories about people like David Goggins who ran 100 miles in under 19 hours with zero training because he wanted to raise money for charities close to his heart. He was left with broken metatarsals in both feet and a case of kidney failure from that race... But he's a freak of nature (and a Navy SEAL).

As I said I doubt anyone will talk you out of it. So I hope it goes well for you. Just remember it's not the be all and end all. There will always be other marathons.

At this point I have the full support of my wife to go ahead. She's seen me do the training runs etc over the past couple of weeks. She's happy that the physio has given the go ahead and that if it gets too much I will bail out. (We're organising contingency plans for a couple of points along the route) If I end up in a boot or cast at some point I will 100% be doing the same amount of work and child minding that is already done (we have one 6 year old already) And the thing is if the leg is fractured now it will be going into a cast either way. I understand the degree of injury may be exasperated but I have been running around this injury for a number of weeks now. I think it's as bad as it will get.

Absolute honest answer is if roles were reversed (and of course with her not being pregnant) I'd be concerned yes but I would give her 100% support to go and do it. Also I can put my hand on my heart and say if she asked me not to do it I would bow out. Last thing I want is her stressed out at this time.

At this point I have the full support of my wife to go ahead. She's seen me do the training runs etc over the past couple of weeks. She's happy that the physio has given the go ahead and that if it gets too much I will bail out. (We're organising contingency plans for a couple of points along the route) If I end up in a boot or cast at some point I will 100% be doing the same amount of work and child minding that is already done (we have one 6 year old already) And the thing is if the leg is fractured now it will be going into a cast either way. I understand the degree of injury may be exasperated but I have been running around this injury for a number of weeks now. I think it's as bad as it will get.

Absolute honest answer is if roles were reversed (and of course with her not being pregnant) I'd be concerned yes but I would give her 100% support to go and do it. Also I can put my hand on my heart and say if she asked me not to do it I would bow out. Last thing I want is her stressed out at this time.

Fair enough!

Anyway, I know exactly how you're feeling - this time last year I was contemplating going ahead with it myself.... on my crutches... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Think of it in these terms:

I reckon the most likely the result of you trying to get around the Dublin marathon will be an injury. That injury would mean you cannot run for an extended period of time. That period on the sidelines means a big risk of you becoming sedentary and putting the weight on again. That ruins all your hard work for the sake of a 5 hour plus walk. It's just not worth it under these circumstances. You are on a hiding to nothing here.

You seem intent of doing it so I hope you get through uninjured but really add to the advice not to risk it.

Further to this, the marathon is not the be all and end all of running/athletics. You can do great benefits to your health by running 5K's, 10k's etc and improving your times over those distances. Why people jump straight into the marathon I will never know. It's a distance that is very unforgiving!

Further to this, the marathon is not the be all and end all of running/athletics. You can do great benefits to your health by running 5K's, 10k's etc and improving your times over those distances. Why people jump straight into the marathon I will never know. It's a distance that is very unforgiving!

It's a lack of understanding on the part of a beginner. When you start off running as a complete noobie you can't run very far at all. You start off with maybe a couch to 5k program with a distance goal. Then as you get fitter / approach that goal you look towards a 10k. At that point you're equating further distance with further progress. To the outsider a marathon is a wow achievement and as a noobie runner you see it that way too. So there is a logical leap to aiming at the marathon as some sort of pinnacle of progress.

What you don't realise at the time (and I didn't for one) is that there are many more ways and achievements to improve fitness and progress at shorter distances. Indeed I think it's fair to say that heading for a marathon is an easier task than shaving 20% off your best 10k time. But running that marathon is percieved by a non runner as a much bigger task. And as a noob it takes time to get out of that mindset.

• Advertisement

It's a lack of understanding on the part of a beginner. When you start off running as a complete noobie you can't run very far at all. You start off with maybe a couch to 5k program with a distance goal. Then as you get fitter / approach that goal you look towards a 10k. At that point you're equating further distance with further progress. To the outsider a marathon is a wow achievement and as a noobie runner you see it that way too. So there is a logical leap to aiming at the marathon as some sort of pinnacle of progress.

What you don't realise at the time (and I didn't for one) is that there are many more ways and achievements to improve fitness and progress at shorter distances. Indeed I think it's fair to say that heading for a marathon is an easier task than shaving 20% off your best 10k time. But running that marathon is percieved by a non runner as a much bigger task. And as a noob it takes time to get out of that mindset.

See this is precisely what is wrong with this forum in general. People need to get out of that mindset. Who cares what people who have no interest in athletics think. Most of them think the mini-marathon is a marathon. Why do you care about impressing such ignorant people so much?

See this is precisely what is wrong with this forum in general. People need to get out of that mindset. Who cares what people who have no interest in athletics think. Most of them think the mini-marathon is a marathon. Why do you care about impressing such ignorant people so much?

I think you misunderstood me a little bit.

What I was referring to was in hindsight. When you start running and don't fully understand the sport you have the same mindset / point of view as that outsider and tend to make decisions based on that mindset.

For me personally - and again a read back through this log will show it, I started thinking about running marathons very soon after running 5k. It was a logical (at the time) goal - distance = progress. Greater distance = greater progress. I know now that this was flawed logic and actually it's because of this forum that I know it. :) But for me I had entered the marathon / committed to it etc before I realised that better progress / achievements (particularly on weight loss for me personally) could have been made on cutting times at shorter distances.

At this point I do not care at all what people think - I'm not trying to impress anybody but myself. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

For me personally - and again a read back through this log will show it, I started thinking about running marathons very soon after running 5k. It was a logical (at the time) goal - distance = progress. Greater distance = greater progress.

I was the same myself. Finished couch 2 5k, ran a 5k. Started running a little longer in training, ran a 5 mile race (the first time I ran 5 miles was in the race), and already I was think of the marathon. Ran a 10k, a 10 mile, a half, then the marathon. It's easier to say the distance is nothing special, it's the time that counts, when you've already done the distance.
    So... I don't think you're wise to do this marathon on Monday, but I know that any one race is going to mean less to me (or anyone else who has already run a bunch of races) than it does to you and so there's not a lot we can say to convince you. So if you must run on Monday, good luck. Take it very easy, and be prepared for the worst. Have money and a phone with you in case you need to step off the course and make your own way to the finish line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

I'm a little confused. Do you possibly have a stress fracture?

TRR wrote: »
    I'm a little confused. Do you possibly have a stress fracture?
    Basic situation is sore spot in shin which could be shin splints but because was localised to one spot the Physio sent me to doctor to make sure it wasn't a stress fracture. X-ray done showed no stress fracture but the radioloigist recommended getting an MRI done to be 100% sure as X-rays are not 100% effective spotting stress fractures.

My doctor basically said in this situation the X-ray report will normally say have an MRI as they have to cover themselves off. It came down to how sore the leg was. So he has said to rest up / no running for a couple of weeks after the marathon and if the pain does not subside we move forward with an MRI (which he thinks would take a couple of months on waiting list for anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

I stumbled upon this thread, and while I know you're going to be at the start line on Monday regardless of what I say I thought I'd throw in my story as someone who was in similar shoes to you.

I ran a half marathon last year on an injury on the basis that I had trained hard for it and was willing to take a few weeks off afterwards to recover fully. My physio suggested it wasn't fractured - well it may not have been before the race but it certainly was after 13.1 miles on the road! I got through it but it was agony and I wasn't satisfied with my time. It took me an hour to hobble back to the car and a couple of months before I could walk properly. I never had a pain free run again and 7 months later the weak bones re-fractured and started off a stream of investigations that led to the recommendation that I quit running for good.

Now my situation is different to yours, in that there were underlying medical conditions. However I was well trained for the race and it was a shorter distance - approx 1hour 50mins on my feet. Be very careful. Looking back I have nothing but regret for being so foolish, and all I have to show for it is a race time that I'm not even proud of. I miss running so much (and still lurk around here every now and then)

I wish you lots of luck and hope your risk has a happier outcome than mine. Sorry to have posted such a negative experience but just think about it and please stop if you feel sharp pain, it's only a race and there should be plenty more of them for you to run!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

runrabbit wrote: »
    I know you're going to be at the start line on Monday regardless...

...please stop if you feel sharp pain!

+1

I think this sums it up for me, just be very sensible on monday PM, if there is any doubt at any point, just stop. No shame in that whatsoever.

Hoping for the best possible outcome for you.

Basic situation is sore spot in shin which could be shin splints but because was localised to one spot the Physio sent me to doctor to make sure it wasn't a stress fracture. X-ray done showed no stress fracture but the radioloigist recommended getting an MRI done to be 100% sure as X-rays are not 100% effective spotting stress fractures.

My doctor basically said in this situation the X-ray report will normally say have an MRI as they have to cover themselves off. It came down to how sore the leg was. So he has said to rest up / no running for a couple of weeks after the marathon and if the pain does not subside we move forward with an MRI (which he thinks would take a couple of months on waiting list for anyway)

That last part is not true in my experience. I hurt myself on a Sunday afternoon. when it wasn't any better the next morning I went to VHI swift clinic where they did an x-ray (which didn't show anything).

They then referred me to the fracture clinic in the Mater Hospital - where I got an appointment for the Wednesday. I had another x-ray (again showing nothing) and then an MRI the same day.

So it took 2 days for me to get an MRI.....

If I were you I'd change my doctor and physio. They sound like cowboys. If they have suggested you can run when they are not 100% sure it's not a fracture then they are very foolish indeed. Drop me a PM when you're fcuked after Monday and I'll put you onto mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Again- not a matter of 100% effective/ covering themselves. X-RAYS DO NOT DIAGNOSE STRESS FRACTURES....If you have a stress fracture- it will not show up on the x-ray you NEED an MRI- honestly can't even believe you won't listen to sensible advise. My only hope for you is that you is that you do not get seriously injured and if you do that your stubborness doesn't divert medical attention away from others who actually trained for this race and may need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

drquirky wrote: »
    Again- not a matter of 100% effective/ covering themselves. X-RAYS DO NOT DIAGNOSE STRESS FRACTURES....If you have a stress fracture- it will not show up on the x-ray you NEED an MRI- honestly can't even believe you won't listen to sensible advise.

Drquirky, you have made this point already and it has been taken on board, you don't have to say it twice. PM is just stating what the doctor said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Jesus man you have my sympathy, you seem to be getting it from all angles. This is why I dont have a training log......people mean well for the most part but there comes a point where you have to draw a line and stop explaining yourself. Make a decision then keep it to yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Wow - all the cool people are on your thread....the fast ones, the slow ones, the bitter and the sweet*

*you all know which you are

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

you are argreeing with PS on the fact that a marathon is not the 'be all and end all'.....so, why are you attempting to complete it on monday if its not the be all and end all?
    you talk as if you understand that running shorter distanced can be a bigger achievment if done 'right'(?) but you are willing to ignore that and complete a marathon distance for what exactly? are you not better of, resting up and going hard at a 5k in spring?

seanynova wrote: »
    you are argreeing with PS on the fact that a marathon is not the 'be all and end all'.....so, why are you attempting to complete it on monday if its not the be all and end all?
    you talk as if you understand that running shorter distanced can be a bigger achievment if done 'right'(?) but you are willing to ignore that and complete a marathon distance for what exactly? are you not better of, resting up and going hard at a 5k in spring?

I think at this point I am going to follow Tunguskas advice and stop repeatedly explaining myself. :)

My decison is made. I do appreciate everyones concerns and thank everybody for them. I will of course report back afterwards. Until then it's goodbye from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

check in to see to good luck messages anwyay....you might think of the encouragement and advice you got form boards while out there...

drquirky wrote: »
    Again- not a matter of 100% effective/ covering themselves. X-RAYS DO NOT DIAGNOSE STRESS FRACTURES....If you have a stress fracture- it will not show up on the x-ray you NEED an MRI- honestly can't even believe you won't listen to sensible advise. My only hope for you is that you is that you do not get seriously injured and if you do that your stubborness doesn't divert medical attention away from others who actually trained for this race and may need it.
    I think at this point I am going to follow Tunguskas advice and stop repeatedly explaining myself. :)

My decison is made. I do appreciate everyones concerns and thank everybody for them. I will of course report back afterwards. Until then it's goodbye from me.

If you're determined to do it then you're right just do it. It's your call at the end of the day. Best of luck anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Back in January when I started running I had come off the back of a health scare (Chest pains with a family history of heart attacks) Diagnosis was good - heart was ok but that I was unfit, overweight and stressed out and I needed to improve my lifestyle drastically. As a seperate issue myself and Mrs Messiah had been trying for a baby for many years. I was told by the fertility clinic that it would be beneficial to lose weight and get myself a lot fitter to increase the chances of a baby. So double the motivation to get off the couch and start something. The log here tells it like it is - I think you can see from reading back through it how much progress was made. I love running - love it (hate it too ;)) My progress fitness wise is a mirror image of my personal progress elsewhere. I feel good about myself, weight is coming off, fitness is improving, I'm nowhere near as stressed as I once was, haven't had a chest pain in months - and most importantly have a baby on the way. :):):)

As a seperate factor once I had decided to run the marathon I decided to raise funds for two charities (again mentioned in the log earlier so I won't bore people with the details) but these are charities very very close to home - both deal with cancer support. I've lost my closest family to cancer and have borne personal witness to and met a young girl who sadly lost her battle. But before losing it she was an inspration to those around her despite the suffering. The pain of a sore leg is nothing and I mean nothing compared to that. Doing this is a tribute to them and their memory.

From a personal point of view as well I am stubborn as a mule. I simply hate backing down from anything and only do so if my hand is truly forced. I'd view not running this as a personal failure and I've had my fill of them for one life too. :)

The above aren't excuses as such but they are my reasons. I know that there is a counter argument to all of those points, long term fitness is being risked, would those people want to see me hurt in their memory, it's not a failure to walk away with pride etc. I know all this. I really do.

I just don't see things as being as bad as some posters here fear. I know I can get around the course. It may not be too pleasant after the half way point. It certainly won't be in the best time I could have done without an injury / interrupted training but I will be over the moon with the achievement and always will view it as an achievement - even when I have hopefully moved onto better marathons and other things in life which are far more important again. I'm happy to do this and take the pain that comes with it. For me personally it will be worth it but at the same time I can also understand the viewpoints of those who think it is not worth it.

Your plan to do the marathon is nothing to do with running. Enjoy the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Best of luck PM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Best of Luck on Monday PM,Looking forward to your race report:cool:

Advertisement