Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right from the start. Unable to run for a minute ----> To a Marathon.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

dna_leri wrote: »
    Your plan to do the marathon is nothing to do with running. Enjoy the day.

This is a fair point I guess. Best of luck with it anyway. Just be sensible and safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭MazzR

Really enjoyed reading your log and can't wait to see your report on the marathon! Best of luck!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭tenreds

Best of luck tomorrow PM hope everything goes to plan,enjoy the day and I'll enjoy reading about how you completed your first Marathon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Well.... ???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Well.... ???

Full report to follow (probably tomorrow - too tired now!)

But short form reads...

Started with 5 hour pacers. Lack of training over past weeks bit hard around Rialto and I drifted back. Finished in 5:36 Plenty of pain but the least sore of them all was the shin. The injury to the shin was hardly noticeable. Go figure :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

But short form reads...

Started with 5 hour pacers. Lack of training over past weeks bit hard around Rialto and I drifted back. Finished in 5:36 Plenty of pain but the least sore of them all was the shin. The injury to the shin was hardly noticeable. Go figure :)

Really glad you got it finished PM, heres hoping that the injury isn't as bad as first thought if you made it around. That's not a bad time considering your original goal, injury concerns and a real cutback in training near the end. Enjoy the moment and get yourself recovered now.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

But short form reads...

well done for finishing, you're one stubborn mofo. you're a marathon runner now, well done :-) not a bad time at all, we must have passed by each other near the end. congrats again

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Congrats PM! I'm glad you made it round in one piece, too!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

It's with some relief I can say well done! Now for pitys sake rest up and fix that leg :)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭MazzR

Congratulations!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Glad you made it safely. Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Delighted it worked out for you - congrats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Well done PM, totally deserved. Can i buy some of the HTFU tablets you take!!

tang1 wrote: »
    Well done PM, totally deserved. Can i buy some of the HTFU tablets you take!!

You might take them back for a refund. Was mighty close to wailing like a baby coming down nutley lane. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

But short form reads...

Ah fair play PM! Delighted you made it round in one piece. You're a crazy, stubborn, SOB, but you were the one person I was thinking about when I was out there today and was wondering how you were getting on.

Now forget about running for a while, rest up that leg and look forward to the birth of your baby. Best of luck with that to you and Mrs PM.

Where to start ?

I'm shattered here - absolutely shattered. I've never felt pain like yesterday, yet never felt as inspired as yesterday too. My target was to hang onto the 5 hour pacers as long as I could. No real time goal at all - just to finish in one piece. Training as regular readers here would know has been next to non existant for the last 4-5 weeks due to injury so the best case scenario was to simply get around.

I met Blockic for a gentle stroll towards the start line. As he is a souped up wave 1 attendee we had to part as soon as we got to the start area. I met up with my physio who taped up my leg to give me the best chance of getting around on the inured leg. After dropping my bag off I joined the back of Wave 3 and began gently jostling towards the 5 hour pace flags. I was nervous - very nervous - and the nerves grew to a point where fear was taking over. The kind of fear that you just want to run and find your family and hide from the world. I gave myself a mental slap in the face and got focussed on the task in hand.

The starting gun went off up ahead for wave 1 and all I could see was clothes flying left and right. It was like a cartoon fight where loads of objects and items are thrown out of the big ball of flying fur. Then wave 2 went off and pretty soon it was our turn. The first mile or so was a little congested but nothing near what I had expected. I was trying to conserve energy by not zig zagging around other runners but I was also afraid of losing the 5 hour group. By the time we got to O'Connell bridge everything had thinned out though and I was back behind the pace group. My wife and little one were waiting for me there and I handed over my jacket to keep going and grabbed a little hug off my daughter.

Things felt very good at that point. Only issue was the tape on the leg was starting to peel off. By the time we got to dorset street I had to stop and rip the tape off. No major problem though as the shin was holding up well. I was chatting with a couple of people along the way and ended up meeting / chatting with Curr33 for most of the NCR and Phoenix Park. Things were going very well and I at that point was thinking that I probably could see things out with the 5 hour group. I was wrong biggrin.png

I lost the 5 hour group around Rialto but in hindsight I had started to lose them at the Chapelizod water station. One minute I was talking to Curr33, then I veered right a bit to grab an energy drink. It should have lost me 2-3 seconds at most but when I looked up they were further away. It suddenly felt like an effort to keep up. The hill out of Chapelizod wasn't as bad as I feared at all. In fact I managed to just about catch back up to the group. At that stage though it was again a struggle to keep up. I knew we were about a minute ahead of 5 hour pace at that point which was probably a bad thing as I allowed myself the luxury of a 1 minute gap knowing that I would still be on for a 5 hour. The only good thing about Rialto though was my wife, child and at that stage my mother who had joined them had hopped a LUAS out and I again had some friendly faces and encouragement waiting for me.

Turning right at Crumlin and that long drag up to Walkinstown broke my heart. I spent that time looking at the 5 hour group taking off into the distance. My lack of training bit me in the ass at this stage and an enforced walk-run-walk-run strategy came into play. I was cold, tired, hungry and dejected and hating that hill. I got passed by two lads singing bohemian rhapsody at full voice and hated them too ! (When I later passed them out in bits at Milltown I had an evil giggle to myself) When I saw the half way sign in the distance I didn't know whether or not to be encouraged or dejected by the fact I was still only half way there. I remembered though that there would be cameras there and I didn't want to be seen walking so dug deep and managed to get up and around the turn at the roundabout before resuming my walk run strategy.

At this point I really started to appreciate the support from the crowd.(Not that there wasn't any up until then but you just appreciate it so much more when struggling) I had read here to put my name on my shirt and wow what a difference it made. At least 100 times on that course someone shouted my name and gave me encouragement to keep going. The amount of people standing on that course for hours on end handing out fruit, jellies and sweets to complete strangers was humbling to say the least. The fact they were still there for us at the tail end of the race was even more remarkable.

On the way into Terenure I passed the 16 mile mark and celebrated the fact that I was now into record breaking territory (previous record distance was 16 miles some weeks ago) I also lamented the fact it was 10 miles to go too. Pain was steadily building all over me at this stage but thankfully the shin I had been most worried about was ok. Into Terenure and over the mat a guy on the PA roared my name. I also saw my physio there who gave me some more encouragment. A few miles later and the long drag to Clonskeagh was in front of me. At this point it was more walking than running but trying to keep a fast walk when doing so. Mentally I was starting to fatigue as well. I could hardly think straight - felt in a bit of a daze. Just on the corner before turning towards the road leading to "heartbreak hill" there was a girl and her friend there who shouted my name and "let's be having you" Before I realised it I had shouted back Do we have time ? The crowd around laughed and I kept going but it clicked with me that I wasn't as bad as I thought I was mentally. There was some function still there. So when I got to the sign saying heartbreak hill I decided I was going to plough up it non stop. It wasn't anywhere near as bad as I expected it to be - for me walkinstown drag was worse. In fact trying to go down the steep hill of fosters avenue was harder.

Once again the family were waiting for me out on the course at the bottom of fosters hill having bussed it out. Brave face on smile.png little one runs a bit with me - I keep going but by the time I got to the UCD flyover I was done. I was literally seizing up out on the course. Nutley lane will forever more for me be associated with the worst pain ever. I wanted to stop, I knew if I did that I would not start again. I texted the family to say exactly that. I was hoping for some inspiration back to get me going. The text back simply said (my daughter) says she loves you, don't stop, don't let the leg beat you. Irony was the leg injury was the least of my concerns but that text had me close to tears yet full of joy at the same time. I remembered then that I had placed 3 pain killers in my pocket just in case the shin had gone during the race. Fished them out - sweat etc had melted and fused them into this hard salty mess but with a water station in front of me I threw them in. They tasted disgusting - truly disgusting but they seemed to help within a mile. (Could have been a placebo effect mind you)

I was delighted at that stage to be able to start putting together a string of small runs. Each time passing other runners. In fact the last 2 miles in I probably made up 100+ places constantly reeling in those in front of me walking because I was running half the distance. It felt good. Eventually got around to the finish area. I grabbed my little one by the hand and she ran the last couple of hundred metres home with me through a cheering crowd. It was a very special moment for me to cross with her - the tannoy announcer even mentioned her as if we were a group coming home.

Came home in 5:36 with an intact leg. Happy days biggrin.png I had the pleasure of meeting a few of our boards community up in mcgrattens afterwards proudly wearing my finishers shirt. A perfect end to a great day.

Special thanks at this point to all the volunteers, stewards and marshalls out on route, to all the pacers, to YoungAnne and the other mentors here on boards too and last but by no means least thanks to all of you guys here for being a part of this experience. I will be back next year for sure. smile.png

At this point though it's time to rest up - see how this controversial leg of mine heals. It was the least of my worries yesterday and is no sorer today than the rest of my body which is a good sign. I will not though get back on the road until things are definitely 100% better. I'm looking forward to running the marathon next year off a much better base, injury free and better prepared. A PB would be almost guaranteed which is always a good thing. Thanks to everyone who has posted in this log. Your support and concerns at all times were very much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Where to start ?

I'm shattered here - absolutely shattered. I've never felt pain like yesterday, yet never felt as inspired as yesterday too. My target was to hang onto the 5 hour pacers as long as I could. No real time goal at all - just to finish in one piece. Training as regular readers here would know has been next to non existant for the last 4-5 weeks due to injury so the best case scenario was to simply get around.

I met Blockic for a gentle stroll towards the start line. As he is a souped up wave 1 attendee we had to part as soon as we got to the start area. I met up with my physio who taped up my leg to give me the best chance of getting around on the inured leg. After dropping my bag off I joined the back of Wave 3 and began gently jostling towards the 5 hour pace flags. I was nervous - very nervous - and the nerves grew to a point where fear was taking over. The kind of fear that you just want to run and find your family and hide from the world. I gave myself a mental slap in the face and got focussed on the task in hand.

The starting gun went off up ahead for wave 1 and all I could see was clothes flying left and right. It was like a cartoon fight where loads of objects and items are thrown out of the big ball of flying fur. Then wave 2 went off and pretty soon it was our turn. The first mile or so was a little congested but nothing near what I had expected. I was trying to conserve energy by not zig zagging around other runners but I was also afraid of losing the 5 hour group. By the time we got to O'Connell bridge everything had thinned out though and I was back behind the pace group. My wife and little one were waiting for me there and I handed over my jacket to keep going and grabbed a little hug off my daughter.

Things felt very good at that point. Only issue was the tape on the leg was starting to peel off. By the time we got to dorset street I had to stop and rip the tape off. No major problem though as the shin was holding up well. I was chatting with a couple of people along the way and ended up meeting / chatting with Curr33 for most of the NCR and Phoenix Park. Things were going very well and I at that point was thinking that I probably could see things out with the 5 hour group. I was wrong biggrin.png

I lost the 5 hour group around Rialto but in hindsight I had started to lose them at the Chapelizod water station. One minute I was talking to Curr33, then I veered right a bit to grab an energy drink. It should have lost me 2-3 seconds at most but when I looked up they were further away. It suddenly felt like an effort to keep up. The hill out of Chapelizod wasn't as bad as I feared at all. In fact I managed to just about catch back up to the group. At that stage though it was again a struggle to keep up. I knew we were about a minute ahead of 5 hour pace at that point which was probably a bad thing as I allowed myself the luxury of a 1 minute gap knowing that I would still be on for a 5 hour. The only good thing about Rialto though was my wife, child and at that stage my mother who had joined them had hopped a LUAS out and I again had some friendly faces and encouragement waiting for me.

Turning right at Crumlin and that long drag up to Walkinstown broke my heart. I spent that time looking at the 5 hour group taking off into the distance. My lack of training bit me in the ass at this stage and an enforced walk-run-walk-run strategy came into play. I was cold, tired, hungry and dejected and hating that hill. I got passed by two lads singing bohemian rhapsody at full voice and hated them too ! (When I later passed them out in bits at Milltown I had an evil giggle to myself) When I saw the half way sign in the distance I didn't know whether or not to be encouraged or dejected by the fact I was still only half way there. I remembered though that there would be cameras there and I didn't want to be seen walking so dug deep and managed to get up and around the turn at the roundabout before resuming my walk run strategy.

At this point I really started to appreciate the support from the crowd.(Not that there wasn't any up until then but you just appreciate it so much more when struggling) I had read here to put my name on my shirt and wow what a difference it made. At least 100 times on that course someone shouted my name and gave me encouragement to keep going. The amount of people standing on that course for hours on end handing out fruit, jellies and sweets to complete strangers was humbling to say the least. The fact they were still there for us at the tail end of the race was even more remarkable.

On the way into Terenure I passed the 16 mile mark and celebrated the fact that I was now into record breaking territory (previous record distance was 16 miles some weeks ago) I also lamented the fact it was 10 miles to go too. Pain was steadily building all over me at this stage but thankfully the shin I had been most worried about was ok. Into Terenure and over the mat a guy on the PA roared my name. I also saw my physio there who gave me some more encouragment. A few miles later and the long drag to Clonskeagh was in front of me. At this point it was more walking than running but trying to keep a fast walk when doing so. Mentally I was starting to fatigue as well. I could hardly think straight - felt in a bit of a daze. Just on the corner before turning towards the road leading to "heartbreak hill" there was a girl and her friend there who shouted my name and "let's be having you" Before I realised it I had shouted back Do we have time ? The crowd around laughed and I kept going but it clicked with me that I wasn't as bad as I thought I was mentally. There was some function still there. So when I got to the sign saying heartbreak hill I decided I was going to plough up it non stop. It wasn't anywhere near as bad as I expected it to be - for me walkinstown drag was worse. In fact trying to go down the steep hill of fosters avenue was harder.

Once again the family were waiting for me out on the course at the bottom of fosters hill having bussed it out. Brave face on smile.png little one runs a bit with me - I keep going but by the time I got to the UCD flyover I was done. I was literally seizing up out on the course. Nutley lane will forever more for me be associated with the worst pain ever. I wanted to stop, I knew if I did that I would not start again. I texted the family to say exactly that. I was hoping for some inspiration back to get me going. The text back simply said (my daughter) says she loves you, don't stop, don't let the leg beat you. Irony was the leg injury was the least of my concerns but that text had me close to tears yet full of joy at the same time. I remembered then that I had placed 3 pain killers in my pocket just in case the shin had gone during the race. Fished them out - sweat etc had melted and fused them into this hard salty mess but with a water station in front of me I threw them in. They tasted disgusting - truly disgusting but they seemed to help within a mile. (Could have been a placebo effect mind you)

I was delighted at that stage to be able to start putting together a string of small runs. Each time passing other runners. In fact the last 2 miles in I probably made up 100+ places constantly reeling in those in front of me walking because I was running half the distance. It felt good. Eventually got around to the finish area. I grabbed my little one by the hand and she ran the last couple of hundred metres home with me through a cheering crowd. It was a very special moment for me to cross with her - the tannoy announcer even mentioned her as if we were a group coming home.

Came home in 5:36 with an intact leg. Happy days biggrin.png I had the pleasure of meeting a few of our boards community up in mcgrattens afterwards proudly wearing my finishers shirt. A perfect end to a great day.

Special thanks at this point to all the volunteers, stewards and marshalls out on route, to all the pacers, to YoungAnne and the other mentors here on boards too and last but by no means least thanks to all of you guys here for being a part of this experience. I will be back next year for sure. smile.png

At this point though it's time to rest up - see how this controversial leg of mine heals. It was the least of my worries yesterday and is no sorer today than the rest of my body which is a good sign. I will not though get back on the road until things are definitely 100% better. I'm looking forward to running the marathon next year off a much better base, injury free and better prepared. A PB would be almost guaranteed which is always a good thing. Thanks to everyone who has posted in this log. Your support and concerns at all times were very much appreciated.

What a super super report.

Forget about the time - you faced down 'the wall' and beat it.
    Loved the text, and the running with your little girl.

Well done to a member of the Marathon Club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

One word ...... EPIC !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

I will be showing this thread to my wife who is convinced that she doesn't have it in her to run a 10k. Really brilliant stuff.

guinang wrote: »
    I will be showing this thread to my wife who is convinced that she doesn't have it in her to run a 10k. Really brilliant stuff.

Mrs Guinang (for when you get here)

YOU yes YOU can do it. It takes time, it takes a bit of effort and it takes a bit of perseverance but progress comes little by little until one day you're suddenly there. Get out there and enjoy yourself. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Well done PM.:)
    I hung around the finish for a little bit yesterday & everytime I heard a siren in the distance I thought of you,tankfully everyones worst fears here did not come to fruition
    A++++++++++++ Thats some report,how do you remember all of that.I'm not very familiar with Dublin but just watched the youtube video of the race preview & I can't remember seeing a fraction of those places:eek:
    That must have been some feeling at the end running over the finish line with your daughter.
    Think this log has the makings of a film script in it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Glad you made it through dude. I was pretty sure I was gonna read about you in the papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Queenie_Jet

Well done, PM, seriously you are an inspiration to those of us plodding along - I did manage 2 halfs a couple of years ago but lost pretty much all my progress in '11 and the first half of this year - however this log has really helped me get back there and who knows, anything is possible right?
    Will be keeping it bookmarked!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zooming

You are an inspiration!!!

This log has been very quiet in the last few weeks - mainly due to the fact that there has nothing to report. :(

I've faithfully rested the leg post DCM no running at all - but now 5+ weeks later I'm still experiencing bouts of pain in the shin. I have put it off long enough but now it's time to head for the docs and see about getting an MRI.

It's been a frustrating few weeks - I really really miss running and have found myself irritable and short tempered with everyone and everything around me. I mentioned elsewhere on boards that running was a drug and apparently there is scientific evidence that it acts like one to the body ! I'm raring to get back into it but I won't be doing anything until given a full all clear from the doctors. I also have gotten myself a brand new Boards.ie running top thanks to Kurt Godel for organising an order. I will be wearing it soon !

I'm not 100% sure yet if I will continue this log here or possibly start a new one. This log serves as an honest account of one noobs journey from nothing to a marathon - with the added distractions of beginners mistakes (acting like an excited puppy :D) and silly / unrealistic race goals along the way that eventually turned into that marathon. It may be best to draw a line under it here and leave it as that story. Mind you by the time I get back into things this thread title may be appropriate again so perhaps we will go for a round 2 here. :p

I've been truly humbled in the past few weeks by the community here on boards. I've been put forward to lead the mentored novices thread next year and also nominated for poster of the year and new poster of the year in the athletics forum awards. That's mind blowing for me when I read back on how this all started and the ups and downs I've experienced along the way.

I'd like to say to everyone who has read this log, posted in this log with feedback and advice, journeyed with or led me in the mentored novices thread and to anyone who nominated or votes for me in the end of year awards a huge

Thank You

You guys don't know just how much you motivated and helped me. I will be back soon ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

The Messiah returns! :D
    I have put it off long enough but now it's time to head for the docs and see about getting an MRI.

Let us know how it goes lad.
    It may be best to draw a line under it here and leave it as that story.

Makes sense alright as it is and will be a great reference for new novice runners. Also, that thread title better not be appropriate again for you! When you are back fresh again with no injuries, sub 4:30 (at least) for DCM 2013 needs to be in the new training log title!:D

blockic wrote: »

Makes sense alright as it is and will be a great reference for new novice runners. Also, that thread title better not be appropriate again for you! When you are back fresh again with no injuries, sub 4:30 (at least) for DCM 2013 needs to be in the new training log title!:D

Ha that's the provisional goal time I had in mind. I gather you're in the mix for pacing duty next year - would be brilliant to run it with you if you're dropping back in and around my pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Ha that's the provisional goal time I had in mind. I gather you're in the mix for pacing duty next year - would be brilliant to run it with you if you're dropping back in and around my pace.

I'll apply for the 4:15 so!:pac: I'd love to pace next year alright. We'll see. I'm going to be running it easy anyway so if im not pacing, I'll gladly run it with you.

blockic wrote: »
    I'll apply for the 4:15 so!:pac: I'd love to pace next year alright. We'll see. I'm going to be running it easy anyway so if im not pacing, I'll gladly run it with you.

You $%£$er :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

fair play to ya for resting the injury...in the long run it is, without question better for you, a little fitness lost is nothing in the grand scheme of things! keep it up, and you will be back in no time...

Advertisement