Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up proxy server at home

Options
  • 04-03-2012 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to set up a home PC as a proxy server so I can connect to it from abroad and watch RTEplayer. Does anybody know the best way of going about this? I have been following the steps from here: http://www.linquist.net/geek/proxy but with no joy. Whenever I try connect using putty, nothing happens and it just times out.

Has anybody ever done this before? I thought it would be relatively simple but clearly I'm wrong! The PC I have at home runs windows 7 and connects to the internet through a UPC cisco epc2425 router.

Any help much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

If you have a spare PC sitting about you can Install a pretty basic Ubuntu system running openssh, once you get everything config'd [port forwards on your router, SSH confix ont he ubuntu box] you can connect & proxy your connection through it quite easily

I run the same setup from my house, make a point of running any unencrypted wifi connections through it

Advertisement