Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Siri. Totally useless?

• 04-03-2012 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Does anyone here actually use Siri on the 4s? I tried it out for messaging and stuff. It isnt very good is it? Ive probably got a culchie accent, maybe it cant understand me. Maybe thats the problem... Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I use it now and again, works for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

Tried it a few times myself....found it awful if not terrible! Can safely say I'm quite happy to live without it!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

Handy for setting alarms and timers and the weather, but anything more complex, such as dictating instead of typing, ends up with enough mistakes to make it not worth bothering with, and most complex questions seem to end up with an offer of a web search, rather than any actual results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Type 17 wrote: »
    Handy for setting alarms and timers and the weather, but anything more complex, such as dictating instead of typing, ends up with enough mistakes to make it not worth bothering with, and most complex questions seem to end up with an offer of a web search, rather than any actual results.

When I told, my mates 4S, that android phones, rock, it agreed with me wholeheartedly! So if nothing else, it seems to understand the blindingly obvious.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭Zamp

I think it's just a gimmick. Works fine for me but can't really find any practical uses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

Well, it’s still in Beta, so hopefully it will probably improve as time goes on. When it works as well as it is shown to do so in the ad, it will be amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Mercedes have announced it'll be used in their cars extensively, so it'll be very handy for sending text messages/and god forbid FB status updates as easily as making a phone call. They also mention it'll be used to control vehicle functions, but didn't really specify what.

I've an iPhone 4, and got a Spire running on mine so I could try Siri, and honestly I could live without it. Seems like a bit of a gimmick, but the speech recognition instead of texting is a killer app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭unnamed

It works well for me. I use it when jogging and driving, I get most of my messages sent then.

I think it will get a lot better when/if apps can use it. Reading out Facebook updates, sending and replying to emails, location support in Ireland, turn by turn directions.

But I wouldn't think of using it on the sofa when watching tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

I find the service is unavailble when I try to use it sometimes, which can be annoying.
    Though I tend to use to set alarms (when it works), if I had a car it would be alot more useful.

Going to be in the UK next week so looking forward to seeing how it works over there, being a tourist it should be handy for getting around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

The kids and I have a great time with Siri 😉 telling her how useless she is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Never use it and dont see any need for it at present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭DYLF

i use Siri every day. comes in very hancy for sending/reading texts when i'm driving or for changing songs when i'm driving...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

I've been messing around with the 4s since I got an upgrade from a 4, it is handy for some things but totally useless at others. Also if you ask it directions etc why can't it give you them in Ireland? I'm sure it will get better with time so I'd like to have it even though it's not being utilised 100% at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I loved it before my 4S got nicked. Didn't use it too often as I hadn't gotten used to it, but it was often handier than taking my phone out of my pocket while I was walking home. I could just say "Play me some Martha Argerich", and it would, or "Tell The Mad Hatette I'll be home in ten minutes", and it'd send her a text, no problem.

It had a bit of trouble with Irish names, though. I had to ring someone called Anne, so I said "Call Anne Smith". The response was "Sorry, I don't understand and Smith."

I guess it helps that I've always had a pretty neutral accent, despite growing up in the sticks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭ArtOfEscape

I find it does work well for me, but I'm not in the habit of using it very often. Mostly just to show off the shiny new phone!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Had a bit of fun with Siri last night, got some pretty good responses from 'Siri, you're a dope', 'Siri, make me a sandwich' and 'Siri, where can I hide a dead body?'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Me: "siri set me an alarm for 7am on weekdays recurring".
    Siri: "certainly creamy that's done".

me looks at the amount of taps it would have taken to do that, 8 taps and two flicks of a spinner to get it bang on at 7am.

Siri is great for those types of things and even more so if you have a disability and tapping and touching is difficult for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mariotr87

Even though I'm not a native speaker (which pretty much makes useless the dictation feature :)) I've found Siri to be extremely useful to play a specific album or playlist while walking. I use it for setting timers/alarms/reminders as well, much quicker than by browsing the menus. I would say it is a great feature, although I wouldn't buy the 4S just to get Siri.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I use it more and more to schedule things to do, as meetings then I just ask it what my day/week is like and I'm reminded of upcoming events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Brilliant for alarms, lists, calendar, sending texts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement