Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cringe

• 04-03-2012 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

"Poland and the ukraine are you ready for us" Am i the only
    one that cringes when i hear Daragh maloney say this on tv?

Why wouldnt they be ready? are we so cool and mad compared to other supporters...

But the one that tops it all has to be "Sure didnt we build America" :o

And the myth that we are big drinkers? no were not mabe 20 years
    ago but not anymore..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

risteard7 wrote: »
    ago but not anymore..

People in Ireland drink more now in general than they did 20 years ago and DEFINITELY more than they drank 50 years ago.

But I agree with general sentiment of your OP. Don't be wondering at yourself, Daragh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

So is this thread about Irish Football, or Irish Drinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭shancoduff

irish-stew wrote: »

I believe it's about being ashamed because some guy on TV is bigging up the fact that we're going to our first major tournament in how long. Maybe he should resign. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭acidskiffle

I cringe more at the fact that we allowed our hugely successful country to collapse and are now the laughing stocks of Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I suggest you are presenting a false dichotomy there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

"Poland and the ukraine are you ready for us"
    From the Polish side I can comment............

They aren't ready, stadiums are built (just about, but car parks & the areas surrounding them outside them are not. Roads that were meant to link the different cities won't be finished. A massive train crash last night (3rd in 6months) illustrates how bad public transport is here....(yea I'm an Irish immigant). Over 1000 people died on the roads here last year too. Massive scandal involving the food industry uncovered last week. Food producers, meat and fish mostly, it has been found out that they have been using industrial salt ( the type used on roads for ice & snow) in the production of their food stuffs for the last 10 years.

So to conclude you can't drive here, you can't take a train here, you can't eat any meat or fish, the stadiums won't be finished to the standards UEFA expected. The only thing I can guarantee anyone travelling to the games is that the beer here is great, the women love foreigners and the weather will be mighty....but no Poland won't be ready.

Also why do people call it The Ukraine? It's Ukraine, there's no "the"

From the Polish side I can comment............

They aren't ready, stadiums are built, but car parks outside them are not. Roads that were meant to link the different cities won't be finished. Massive train crash last night (3rd in 6months) illustrates how bad public transport is here....(yea I'm an Irish immigant). Over 1000 people died on the roads here last year too. Massive scandal involving the food industry uncovered last week. Food producers, meat and fish mostly, have been found out that they have been using industrial salt in the production of their food stuffs.

So to conclude you can't drive here, you can't take a train here, you can't eat any meat or fish, the stadiums won't be finished to the standards UEFA expected. The only thing I can guarantee anyone travelling to the games is that the beer here is great, the women love foreigners and the weather will be mighty....but no Poland won't be ready.

Also why do people call it The Ukraine? It's Ukraine, there's no "the"

Think you misunderstood, Mr. Maloney meant ready for the Irish fans specifically. Because we're so deadly, loike ya know? :)

That road fatality rate doesn't seem so bad, reckon Ireland's would be similar, if not worse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

shancoduff wrote: »
    I believe it's about being ashamed because some guy on TV is bigging up the fact that we're going to our first major tournament in how long. Maybe he should resign. :D

Whats the shame about one of our presenters being happy about the national side reaching a major tournament. He's only exclaming what probably alot of the country is feeling.

Think you misunderstood, Mr. Maloney meant ready for the Irish fans specifically. Because we're so deadly, loike ya know? :)

That road fatality rate doesn't seem so bad, reckon Ireland's would be similar, if not worse!

1000 people isn't bad? Jesus, that's harsh mate. Roads are crap here as well, single lane traffic all over the gaff. A "motor-way" might be two-lanes, if you're lucky, and there's no such thing as lights on a motor way after dusk, no cat's eyes or side reflectors. 'tis madness altogether.

Yea, we are deadly though ;) and most of the people coming here will have a great time, it's a lovely country even for all the stuff that's wrong with it. The general feeling though is that the Irish will be welcomed because we were so good to Polish immigrants. They are pretty happy that the English are playing in Ukraine though. Polish hooligans have sworn to take on the English if they play each other. The Ruskies won't be welcome (expect trouble), the Germans will be tolerated....but probably only because the German team have two Poles playing for them, Klose & Podolski.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭shancoduff

Whats the shame about one of our presenters being happy about the national side reaching a major tournament. He's only exclaming what probably alot of the country is feeling.

Yeah, but in risteard7's mind Irish broadcasters are the only ones who would inflict this on their viewers. Imagine turning on a TV in another country to hear the presenter doing the same.. he surely believes it wouldn't happen. Maybe he's never seen the BBC or been inflicted to the hyper-patriotic American channels.

• Advertisement

1000 people isn't bad? Jesus, that's harsh mate.

Only a few years ago, the road fatality tally topped 400 in Ireland for a single year.

Population of Ireland = 4.5 million
    Population of Poland = ~38 million

If Poland's tally was around 1000 for that year, then Ireland's road fatality rate for that year was much much worse. Ireland has improved greatly on this score in the last few years with ~200 fatalities per annum now. Working it out, that is STILL a higher rate of road fatalities than Poland, believe it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

Am i the only one that cringes

Possibly, I didn't even realise there were men in this country that use the worth cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

tvercetti wrote: »
    Possibly, I didn't even realise there were men in this country that use the worth cringe.
    Who said im a man?

believe it or not.
    I'm shocked at that tbh. I know Ireland made great strides over the last decade to get rid of drink driving. It's not the same here though. MAny many people still swallow half a litre of vodka with their sunday dinner with mammy and then drive home. A few weeks ago something like 2500+ people were charged over one weekend with drink driving in the area I live in which has about the population of Limerick.
    The thing too is that Ireland has really tried to cut down on road deaths, here people don't seem to give a toss, they just shrug their shoulders and say....."yea, that's Poland, we can't change it" and with that attitude sure how can anything ever improve?
    But I shouldn't moan, 'tis a beautiful country, nice weather most of the time and plenty of work. And if you were single out here you'd have the time of your life and all ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

tvercetti wrote: »

They are a fringe group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Methinks you people have never seen Polish drinking on a local (i.e. Poland) level.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

"Poland and the ukraine are you ready for us" Am i the only
    one that cringes when i hear Daragh maloney say this on tv?

Why wouldnt they be ready? are we so cool and mad compared to other supporters...

But the one that tops it all has to be "Sure didnt we build America" :o

ago but not anymore..

TBH.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056567191

Advertisement