Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how come there isn't more talk?

Options
  • 04-03-2012 6:41pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭

..about the Pan-Celtic coming to Carlow?It's a huge coup for the town and will bring in at least half a million and yet it seems no-one knows it's on??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

..about the Pan-Celtic coming to Carlow?It's a huge coup for the town and will bring in at least half a million and yet it seems no-one knows it's on??
    The wha Gay?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Ok, I rest my case:D:D:D

http://www.panceltic.ie/

"The International Pan Celtic Festival will be hosted by Carlow Town in April 2012. It is a great honour for the people of Carlow to host this prestigious event for the very first time. We invite you to join us as we celebrate the celtic cultures of Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Cornwall, Brittany and the Isle of Man. "

In the past it has been in Killarney and Dingle, it really is a big deal to have it coming to the sunny south east.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Matt Le Tissue

I thought it was strange there was so little talk about this on this page. It's a shame there's no camping. We were gonna try and get down for the whole week, but we'll have to settle for a day trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

ye should try band a group of ye together and approach a local farmer to see if he'll let ye all camp in a field of his.

or approach the manager in st' dympnas hospital and see if they will ye camp on the grounds there cos its right next to 7 oaks hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Only saw a billboard for this during the week. Have seen some articles about it in The Nationalist, but to be honest if it is such a bit deal (i have no doubt that it is), why is it not being advertised better??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Nead21 wrote: »
    Only saw a billboard for this during the week. Have seen some articles about it in The Nationalist, but to be honest if it is such a bit deal (i have no doubt that it is), why is it not being advertised better??

I ave to agree with this, only for the one or two posts from people here looking for a campsite for it I would not have known it was happening.
    The organizing committee really needs to get out there and make the locals aware of it. I have seen nearly no flyers, no posters, no radio ads, like some people I don't get the Carlow people or nationalist so would not have seen anything about it other than what was mentioned here on boards! :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Posters/billboard seem to be up now. There's one on the way into Fairgreen from Barrack st. and I saw another on the Dublin road.There was a song contest in the Seven Oaks last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

A major lack of advertising and knowledge of events in carlow is becoming a recurring theme. the few posters left in windows around the town really isn't enough

But where does a non-profit organisation advertsie?How do you hit a large no. of people cheaply?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

The majority of people don't know what this festival is about or what events are happening around it. Why not set up an information stand in the Fairgreen or on Tullow street? ...get some t-shirts printed and start telling people on the street....balloons, banners etc to draw attention.

I'm no PR expert but surely that would be a cheap way of telling people what's going on.

• Advertisement

http://www.panceltic.ie/programme.asp Flyer on what's going on over the few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Seen some welcome signs on the Kilkenny road by Munnellys garage . Written in the various languages of the different celtic groups. Looked pretty small i thought and one was almost hidden by a bunch of dandelions .

Given the start of the festival is not too far off there still appears to be little or no advertising of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Owryan wrote: »
    Seen some welcome signs on the Kilkenny road by Munnellys garage . Written in the various languages of the different celtic groups. Looked pretty small i thought and one was almost hidden by a bunch of dandelions .

Given the start of the festival is not too far off there still appears to be little or no advertising of it

Seen a couple of those signs on the Wexford road aswell so marketing seems to be starting to ramp up somewhat

I still think (as suggested by somebody earlier) that having an info
    Stand manned in fairgreen with leaflets etc would help and be low cost advertising method .

President Higgin is to open the festival, it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

oh dear god, please dont let him read any of his "poetry"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Owryan wrote: »
    oh dear god, please dont let him read any of his "poetry"
    It will be in Irish so wont sound so bad:D

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭tom traubert

And he did, last evening. I didn't go to Visual but I did go into Dinn Rí for a while for the opening night session. It was perhaps a little timid as these things go, but then again I had to leave earlier than I might have liked, and there's every possibility that the place is (celtic) rockin' now.

I know that a month or two ago it seemed that there was no pre publicity about it but if you're in Carlow full time I'd imagine you cant have escaped hearing about it by now.

I'm sure that the celtic traditions don't float everyone's boat but if you have any interest in music at all I'd urge you to at least check out a trad gig or two as the weekend comes around. There's a host of truly excellent musicians coming to town, particularly from Thursday onward, and there's free gigs a plenty. Go on, give it a chance if you haven't before. The details are available in all local media and on www.panceltic.ie

Advertisement