Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

How to unlock iPhone 4 - genuine

• 04-03-2012 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hey there. Not a iphone user so don't know what the story is with genuine unlocking. Missus's bro gave her his iphone 4 after he got an upgrade. I have the phone here, the unlock code he got from vodafone 2 weeks ago, what looks like his old vodafone sim and a her cut down o2 sim card.

o2 shop said you just connect phone to itunes and bada bing but nada happens. Cant find any info on o2 or vodafone sites on what to do. Anyone able to help out? :)

(have set her up an itunes account and have the latest version of itunes downloaded)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Unlock code? No such thing for an iPhone - it's all done through Apple-issued commands via iTunes.

If the phone was unlocked correctly by Vodafone (via Apple), then connecting it to iTunes with a non-Vodafone SIM, and doing a factory restore should perform the unlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭johnny b

snappieT wrote: »
    Unlock code? No such thing for an iPhone - it's all done through Apple-issued commands via iTunes.

If the phone was unlocked correctly by Vodafone (via Apple), then connecting it to iTunes with a non-Vodafone SIM, and doing a factory restore should perform the unlock.

I dunno, he just gave me a long code he got off Vodafone. Will give that a go now.. ;)

Plugged it in with her cut down o2 sim in it and itunes is telling me the sim card inserted is not supported :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

He shouldn't have gotten anything off Vodafone. Get back onto them when they are open and make sure they know they are dealing with an iPhone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Perhaps instead of a network unlock they sent the PUK code, 15 digits?
    Get onto them tomorrow and it'll be sorted

• Advertisement

He shouldn't have gotten anything off Vodafone. Get back onto them when they are open and make sure they know they are dealing with an iPhone.

Might be a PUK code - 15 digits long. Surely they ain't going to deal with me though as its his old bill phone and has nothing to do with me or her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

I put in an unlocking request with vodafone on their website. A couple of days later they emailed me telling me to connect to iTunes and do a restore. Followed the instructions in the email they sent and everything worked fine for me. After it was done a message appeared to say the iPhone was now successfully unlocked so happy days!:D

I never received any codes or anything like that from them for it either!!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Digidol

snappieT wrote: »

Hey, I just got my iPhone unlocked by Vodafone, I have a a Vodafone sim in at the minute and did a backup and restore in iTunes, has my phone been unlocked know or does it need a non-Vodafone sim to do it?

Digidol wrote: »
    Hey, I just got my iPhone unlocked by Vodafone, I have a a Vodafone sim in at the minute and did a backup and restore in iTunes, has my phone been unlocked know or does it need a non-Vodafone sim to do it?

Did a message show up in iTunes to say it was unlocked when you did it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

I put in an unlocking request with vodafone on their website. A couple of days later they emailed me telling me to connect to iTunes and do a restore. Followed the instructions in the email they sent and everything worked fine for me. After it was done a message appeared to say the iPhone was now successfully unlocked so happy days!:D

I never received any codes or anything like that from them for it either!!

same here, but i did not have to do a restore. Just connected to itunes , did a backup then unplugged. No onscreen messages either. stuck in a meteor and a emobile sim both worked. also used a voda sim.

• Advertisement

eirlink wrote: »
    same here, but i did not have to do a restore. Just connected to itunes , did a backup then unplugged. No onscreen messages either. stuck in a meteor and a emobile sim both worked. also used a voda sim.

From what I remember I had to back it up, restore to original and than apply my settings. A message came up for me saying it was successfully unlocked, so I clicked ok and everything was back to normal. I've tried O2 and meteor sim cards and the phone has worked fine with either of them in aswell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

eirlink wrote: »
    I'm afraid it doesn't happen like that. If it did, then it was unlocked before you started. A restore is required, the backup is irrelevant to the process.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

dodzy wrote: »
    I'm afraid it doesn't happen like that. If it did, then it was unlocked before you started. A restore is required, the backup is irrelevant to the process.

It can Happen exactly like that. I got mine unlocked a couple of weeks ago with Three, they don't send any messages, so I tried after 10 days with a meteor sim and it was unlocked. And I had tried other sims in it prior to requesting the unlock, but it was locked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

whiterebel wrote: »
    It can Happen exactly like that. I got mine unlocked a couple of weeks ago with Three, they don't send any messages, so I tried after 10 days with a meteor sim and it was unlocked. And I had tried other sims in it prior to requesting the unlock, but it was locked.
    How the hell does that work ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

whiterebel wrote: »
    dodzy wrote: »
    How the hell does that work ?

Dunno, but that's exactly what happened to me too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

was deffo locked prior to.... i brought phone into CW causi i did not have a microsim to try. they tried 2 sims and the phone was locked. they then requested the unlock from voda. next day i got an sms from voda saying unlock request was granted and to connect to itunes
    connected iphone, backup kicked in and i unplugged. switched off the phone and then tried to other sims...all worked fine.

also, my mate has a 3s on o2 and he got his unlocked also by same method. no restore necessary, just plugged it into itunes and tried other sim which worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I think carrier updates can come in via data connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Digidol

Digidol wrote: »
    Did a message show up in iTunes to say it was unlocked when you did it??

No I never got a message when I restored, although a message only shows on certain versions as far as I'm aware?

Just wondering can it only be unlocked using a sim from a network other than the one it was originally locked to?

A week later and still no joy. Rang vodafone. Was told they couldn't do it for me and all I had to do was get someone with a vodafone account to ring and give them the emei over the phone. Got someone to ring and vodafone told them they have to do it via website. They did it on the website. Days later still nothing so asked them nicely could they do it for me over the phone after I explained. Dude said he'd take the emei and still now on Friday nada. Pain in the hole

I applied to Vodafone to get my iPhone 4 unlocked, just because I could. :p Anyway, I got the approval e-mail from Vodafone but never received the message from iTunes that the phone is unlocked. I'm guessing it is but it just didn't tell me.

• Advertisement

Karsini wrote: »
    I applied to Vodafone to get my iPhone 4 unlocked, just because I could. :p Anyway, I got the approval e-mail from Vodafone but never received the message from iTunes that the phone is unlocked. I'm guessing it is but it just didn't tell me.

:p Poxy thing isn't even for me, it's for the missus! ( xperia arc ftw :pac: )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

I have bought a few phones over the past few years from eBay that were locked to Vodafone UK, Never had a problem using them with Vodafone Irl.

However, recently I bought an iPhone, similarly locked to Voda UK, but ot wont work in Ireland. tried to get help from Voda shop- no help :-( Original seller ignoring my requests for him to get an unlock process going.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Only thing you can do is buy an unlock on eBay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 vahaa

There can be many ways to get your unlock code. If your contract period is complete you can ask your cellular operator for the unlock code. But, they do make it very difficult for you to get the code. In order to unlock your mobile without vain, gEt the unlock code here prounlocking.com & unlock YOUR MOBILE ,I got my my unlock code and my phone was unlocked.this site was nearly perfect with google checkout and they were recommended highly in the cell phone forums.,
    Hope this helps.

Advertisement