Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

15 year sentence for violent thug

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

How long of a sentence is Sherlock giving for quoting an article?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

You mean 15 years suspended right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

Billy Barry's kids must be raging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

What happened the gang with the swords?

Was Barry part of the attackers even if the Garda thinks he wasn't? A sword was found with him

OP, any chance you'd leave the link up, there is a lot more to the article then your quote. I know you can't quote it but can you put in the link?

A lot of unanswered questions here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Sounds like he deserved his sentence

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

lividduck wrote: »
    Sounds like he deserved his sentence

He deserved far worse but glad to see he's been handed a good sentence,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

The toy show will never be the same.
    Seriously though,what a scummy thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Surprised at the length of sentence tbh, though the judge obviously took into account his priors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I think head stomping should be its own unique crime like attempted murder or something.

It's one thing to find yourself on the end of a punch and getting knocked out and quite another when some fcuking treacherous scumbag is stomping you and giving you brain damage while you're down and out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Surprised at the length of sentence tbh, though the judge obviously took into account his priors.

way it should be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

krudler wrote: »
    way it should be

Absolutely.

Though why its taken 7 convictions for assault for a long sentence to be handed down is questionable but either way Ireland is a slightly safer place to live tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

I knew that scene from American History X would come back to haunt us some day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

If I was in office i'd put into law if this scumbag does what he does and he has any offspring, they shouldn't get their childrens allowance.

Hit the family, instead of just the individual. Cut the sperm collectee's dole by half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Fairplay to the judge, had it happened in D4 he probably would have walked away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Hopefully this thug dies in jail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 NoJustice

Just to set the record straight, this man was attacked by 5 men with swords and I can honestly say that Billy Barry was one of those cowardly men that attack Michael John Butler, his mother and his girlfriend. Michael John was douing what anyone would half done, he protected himself and his loved ones. I do realise that the media have only giving a little bit of the story but whats new!! The reality is, is that Michael John was defending himself against thugs who attacked him and his family with swords. In the trial a taxi man who had witness Butler being attacked had said that he (the taxi man) had got such a fright that he drove off in fear of his life and that Butler was lucky to be alive as the 5 men (Cowards) swipped at him and his mother with the weapons as they were getting into the taxi. So before people judge and call this man a scumbag, ask yourself the question,, what wpuld you do in a situation like that were your life is in danger????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 NoJustice

Barry is a coward who tried to attack this man and his family with swords. Butler done what anyone in that frightening situation would have done. He reacted to protect himself and his mum. The media never gave the proper details of what happened on the night "but whats new". I sat in court for that trial and Butler and his mum along with his girlfriend are lucky to be alive. A taxi man witnessed Butler and family being attacked with swords as they were getting into the taxi and the taxi man said that he to feared for this own saftey so before you start making judgements about something you know nothing about, ask yourself this question, what would you have done in that situation??

NoJustice wrote: »
    Barry is a coward who tried to attack this man and his family with swords. Butler done what anyone in that frightening situation would have done. He reacted to protect himself and his mum. The media never gave the proper details of what happened on the night "but whats new". I sat in court for that trial and Butler and his mum along with his girlfriend are lucky to be alive. A taxi man witnessed Butler and family being attacked with swords as they were getting into the taxi and the taxi man said that he to feared for this own saftey so before you start making judgements about something you know nothing about, ask yourself this question, what would you have done in that situation??

And are they certain that barry was involved in this if they were wearing balaclavas?
    And I wonder how it all started? I mean I dont carry around a sword in case smeone pisses me off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭GombeanMan

Realistically, if there is evidence beyound all reasonable doubt of stamping on the guys head over and over again, this guy should be hung:mad: They chop hands off in the UAE for far less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Just to set the record straight, this man was attacked by 5 men with swords and I can honestly say that Billy Barry was one of those cowardly men that attack Michael John Butler, his mother and his girlfriend. Michael John was douing what anyone would half done, he protected himself and his loved ones. I do realise that the media have only giving a little bit of the story but whats new!! The reality is, is that Michael John was defending himself against thugs who attacked him and his family with swords. In the trial a taxi man who had witness Butler being attacked had said that he (the taxi man) had got such a fright that he drove off in fear of his life and that Butler was lucky to be alive as the 5 men (Cowards) swipped at him and his mother with the weapons as they were getting into the taxi. So before people judge and call this man a scumbag, ask yourself the question,, what wpuld you do in a situation like that were your life is in danger????

I'm telling you now, and I'm a man well used to violence (I've been working as a bouncer for over 20years now) that anyone who does that to a downed person is a fvcking scumbag.. And given the prick has six previous for assault, and you come on here justifying his actions - gimme a damned break.

I've seen enough head stomps in my time, and without exception I've been sickened by them.

Your friend is a dirtbag.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I think head stomping should be its own unique crime like attempted murder or something.

It's one thing to find yourself on the end of a punch and getting knocked out and quite another when some fcuking treacherous scumbag is stomping you and giving you brain damage while you're down and out.

It's assault with a deadly weapon in the US. The weapon being the shoe.

Anyway it mentions in the article that part of the sword used in the original attack was found in the victim's pocket. I don't know enough about to case to say whether I think the guy convicted deserves more than 15 years or should be let off. Someone attacks someone with a sword deserves all they get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I agree it should be a whole new level of crime. Instantly GBH or what ever that is called here.

Its funny how nojustice has sincle closed his/her account

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭knotknowbody

To be fair this is talking sh1t, Barry was down and out and posing no further danger to this violent multi-conviction thug, there was absolutely no need for the stomping and trying to justify it is inexcusable, fair enough if I felt threatened by someone I might deck them and put them down but I would not then go on to repeatedly stomp on their head, its even worse that he went away and came back, just proves it wasn't a spur of the moment panicked stomping but a thought about decision to go back and inflict brain damage on an unconscious person, I wish we had Capital/Corporal/Amputation type Punishment for the likes of this thug, cut off his legs between the ankle and knee would be appropriate I feel, if he thinks his feet are for kicking people then he shouldn't be allowed have feet.:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You mean 15 years suspended right?
    Surprisingly, 15 actual years of imprisonment. A rare but proper Irish sentencing.

Advertisement