Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with meter reader

Options
  • 04-03-2012 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

Not sure if anyone can help me here. The man who comes to read my electricity meter keeps letting himself into my house, he doesn't knock and wait for me to answer the door, he might shout hello but he'll just walk straight in as he's doing so. Also, he comes to the back door so he has to walk through the kitchen and living room to get to the meter whereas if he came to the front door he would only have to enter the porch as the meter is right beside the front door. As a single woman living alone in a rural area I find this quite disconcerting, do I really have to keep my door locked at all times when I'm at home, even on a Sunday? Are your meter readers allowed to let themselves into someone's house without knocking and waiting for the occupant to answer the door?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi Toxica,

Meter readers are employed by ESB Networks, and take meter readings on behalf of all electricity providers. Your best bet is to contact them directly on 1850 372 757, or send them an email.

The following links may be of use: ESB Networks' full contact details can be found here.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

Toxica wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone can help me here. The man who comes to read my electricity meter keeps letting himself into my house, he doesn't knock and wait for me to answer the door, he might shout hello but he'll just walk straight in as he's doing so. Also, he comes to the back door so he has to walk through the kitchen and living room to get to the meter whereas if he came to the front door he would only have to enter the porch as the meter is right beside the front door. As a single woman living alone in a rural area I find this quite disconcerting, do I really have to keep my door locked at all times when I'm at home, even on a Sunday? Are your meter readers allowed to let themselves into someone's house without knocking and waiting for the occupant to answer the door?

I think you should indeed keep the doors locked - as it might not be the meter reader next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

This post reminds me that our meter reader used to do the exact same thing in a small cottage where we used to live a little over a decade ago (I had forgotten about this until I read your post). Daylight was quite scarce and the front half door was always open. He'd just walk in and let himself in the spare bedroom to read the meter. It shocked me at the beginning but I chose to ignore it as it was the way it'd been done for a long time.
    However, this was more than 10 years ago, in a safe rural area. I wasn't worried about who'd walk in the door unannounced.
    If worried, I would contact the ESB indeed. I personally don't think it should be allowed nowadays.
    V

Advertisement