Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Tablet S?

• 04-03-2012 7:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭

Is the Sony tablet S any good? I'm interested in getting a tablet and thinking of android instead of an iPad. I like the idea of using a PS3 controller to play games with. Does anyone have one or have any experience with one? As far as tablets go, is it one of the best? Is the game downloadable list bi ie FFVII etc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭Dazzling D

I got one. Seemed to be the best android tablet - cheaper than the Galaxy, higher pixel per inch, universal remote built in, better form factor, content "throw" etc. I just got my PS3 controller paired up this week and it's ace on GTA!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Cheers, where can I find a list for downloadable games available?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭talkingpj

I love mine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭Departed

Dazzling D wrote: »
    I got one. Seemed to be the best android tablet - cheaper than the Galaxy, higher pixel per inch, universal remote built in, better form factor, content "throw" etc. I just got my PS3 controller paired up this week and it's ace on GTA!
    How much? can you read pdfs on it? How long battery? can you connect to wireless?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I've got one too, but don't use it much as I'm usually on the PC at home anyway working on project stuff. It is a good piece of kit though. Recently upgraded to ICS.

Battery life is very good. Can't say how long it lasts but I've never had it run out of juice. I got the Sony docking station for it so it lives there when not in use so battery is always fully charged.

You can read PDF's on it quite happily. It functions well as a magazine reader.

Of course if has wireless built in. It would be pretty useless if it hadn't.

The only downside I can throw at it, is that it is kind of on the heavy side. So when holding it for long periods, your hand/arm can get tired.

But to be honest if you can wait, I'd hold out for the Microsoft Surface. I think that is going to blow away everything that's out there at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Just got one recently, and I am really impressed with it, although I have nothing else to compare it as it is my first tablet. Love the IR, really easy to set up with almost anything.

Battery seems to last about 6-7ish on normal usage. Only thing about it is it uses the micro usb and has a unique charger also which can be a bit of a pain having to carrying around various cables etc. But that is my only complaint and maybe all the other tablets are the same.

I would def recommend it!

TinCool wrote: »
    You can read PDF's on it quite happily. It functions well as a magazine reader.
    Thanks for that info

Can you read any pdf? with kindle it must be bought from amazon.There are lots of out of copyright books on the web legally free. I have some and would want a tablet to read these, as well as purchased pdfs or ebooks from. My understanding is kindle would not allow one to read those. I also have a program to read purchased epub files, would that work on the Sony tablet?

J. Only thing about it is it uses the micro usb
    This is like the ones with the digital camera?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

i was thinking getting this tablet, but with the google tablet coming out im not to sure.

how does this tablet compares to the google nexus tablet, apart from the OS

ldr wrote: »
    i was thinking getting this tablet, but with the google tablet coming out im not to sure.

how does this tablet compares to the google nexus tablet, apart from the OS
    don't know, never heard of google nexus but was told this tablet is discontinued. not sure if that is true
    Good reviews of tablets here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Departed wrote: »
    J. Only thing about it is it uses the micro usb
    This is like the ones with the digital camera?

Yes

Yes
    different to my digi cam one though. can files be copied from pc with the mem card

ldr wrote: »
    7 inch? too small for me prefe the sony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Thanks for that info

Can you read any pdf? with kindle it must be bought from amazon.There are lots of out of copyright books on the web legally free. I have some and would want a tablet to read these, as well as purchased pdfs or ebooks from. My understanding is kindle would not allow one to read those. I also have a program to read purchased epub files, would that work on the Sony tablet?

As far as I know there's no issues with opening any kind of PDF, least I haven't come across any issues. If you can open it on a PC, then you can open it on the S1.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

TinCool wrote: »
    As far as I know there's no issues with opening any kind of PDF, least I haven't come across any issues. If you can open it on a PC, then you can open it on the S1.

...or any Android tablet.

I use ezPDF on mine. A couple of people have posted on this thread about the Nexus. That's a 7" tablet which is grand for lots of people. If you're reading an A4 PDF or magazine try it out before buying. I've a 10" tablet (Xoom) and it seems like a perfect size (nearly the same as A4)

Another app called Xinio has magazine subscriptions you can sign up to. I've noticed some of the magazines seem to be formatted for tablets (double the amount of pages and larger fonts) on that so it might be work well on a 7" tablet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Thanks for that info

I've no problem opening PDFs I didn't buy from Amazon on my kindle?

Advertisement