Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Velociraptor ate pterosaurs too

Options
  • 04-03-2012 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭

It seems that, like Saurornitholestes, Velociraptor was happy to feast on pterosaurs larger than itself- probably already dead ones, say scientists.
    This time the evidence is not just tooth marks or teeth found in pterosaur bones, but a bone from an azhdarchid found inside the belly of a Velociraptor:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0031018212000946?v=s5

Now, it seems that the pterosaur was much bigger than Velociraptor and that scientists believe the pterosaur was already dead because they (with their little square minds) can´t see the raptors actually hunting the azhdarchid. But let's consider how well armed raptors were, how Deinonychus seemingly hunted animals bigger than itself, and especially, how azdharchids seemingly spent a long time on the ground. It all suggests to me that raptors may have hunted pterosaurs once in a while.
    I've heard of house cats hunting VERY large birds, including birds of prey- why wouldn´t a Velociraptor attack a giant pterosaur?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I don't see why not. Surely if a few Velociraptor took the azhdarchid by surprise or it was injured, tired from a long flight or even grounded due to harsh weather (eg: a storm) it is not hard to imagine them taking it down as they had the tools to harm the azhdarchid, but it probably wouldn't have had much defense in a straight up fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Galvasean wrote: »
    I don't see why not. Surely if a few Velociraptor took the azhdarchid by surprise or it was injured, tired from a long flight or even grounded due to harsh weather (eg: a storm) it is not hard to imagine them taking it down as they had the tools to harm the azhdarchid, but it probably wouldn't have had much defense in a straight up fight.

A lot of animals attack birds (in this case flying creature) that are bigger than them. All you would have to do is wait until their landing or taking phases when they are most vunerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

steddyeddy wrote: »
    A lot of animals attack birds (in this case flying creature) that are bigger than them. All you would have to do is wait until their landing or taking phases when they are most vunerable.

Exactly. And I can totally see a raptor doing this with a giant pterosaur that's just taking off:

Catch-Me-If-You-Can-Cat-vs-Eagle.jpg

(Yeah the photo looks funny but is legit- its in an old book I have). The cat (in Japan I think) is actually trying to catch a friggin sea eagle.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Adam Khor wrote: »
    Exactly. And I can totally see a raptor doing this with a giant pterosaur that's just taking off:

Catch-Me-If-You-Can-Cat-vs-Eagle.jpg

(Yeah the photo looks funny but is legit- its in an old book I have). The cat (in Japan I think) is actually trying to catch a friggin sea eagle.:cool:

Thats a brilliant and funny photo and it illustrates that a predators instinct is to attack animals at their most vunerable.

I hope they did kill it. Those azhdarchid things freak me out!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/coturnix/2545340001/

• Advertisement

I hope they did kill it. Those azhdarchid things freak me out!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/coturnix/2545340001/

They were rather disturbing in Planet Dinosaur :D

This story made the newspapers the other day. They all go with the 'scavenger' angle too. I really do not see why everyone is so quick to jump to that conclusion. Dromaeosaurs are accepted to have attacked Tenontosaurus which would have been every bit as fearsome as an azhdarchid. Veociraptor itself is known for fighting, having famously died in combat with Protoceratops.

exfd-fighting-lg.jpg

This story made the newspapers the other day. They all go with the 'scavenger' angle too. I really do not see why everyone is so quick to jump to that conclusion. Dromaeosaurs are accepted to have attacked Tenontosaurus which would have been every bit as fearsome as an azhdarchid. Veociraptor itself is known for fighting, having famously died in combat with Protoceratops.

exfd-fighting-lg.jpg

Exactly! I don´t think anyone would say that an azhdarchid or a tenontosaur would be more of a challenge than a full grown American bison, yet lone wolves sometimes manage to bring them down, and this all without the formidable weaponry of a raptor:

267874_2071167136938_1177670810_32140367_1538879_n.jpg

268642_2071077374694_1177670810_32140079_8234792_n.jpg

And just in case anyone argues that raptors were bird-like and not as strong as mammals (the latter part I really don´t believe), let's remember that golden eagles are trained in central Asia to hunt wolves ten times their size.

Adam Khor wrote: »
    And just in case anyone argues that raptors were bird-like and not as strong as mammals (the latter part I really don´t believe), let's remember that golden eagles are trained in central Asia to hunt wolves ten times their size.

first I've heard of that. Link?
    I know harpy eagles' talons are strong enough to penetrate ahuman skull though. Freaky stuff.

first I've heard of that. Link?
    I know harpy eagles' talons are strong enough to penetrate ahuman skull though. Freaky stuff.

Well, I read about it in a book, but here's some info I found online:

http://scienceblogs.com/tetrapodzoology/2010/12/using_eagles_to_kill_wolves.php

eagle-vs-wolf-painting-Dec-2010.jpg

In the book I have, there is even a series of drawings showing how the bird attacks an adult wolf from behind; when the wolf turns around to defend itself, the eagle grasps its snout and uses its incredible strength to keep its jaws shut, neutralizing the wolf's only weapon.

Eagles usually don´t hunt wolves, but in North America, golden eagle attacks on coyotes (not insignificant game themselves, especially for a bird) are common and almost always end with the eagle's victory.

There are a couple other raptors that are just as formidable, including the African crowned eagle and the Martial Eagle, which are known to hunt antelopes and similarly sized prey. :cool:

• Advertisement

That's very impressive! :eek:

Advertisement