Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Machinist required

• 04-03-2012 8:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭

I have a motor in 60hz I need it to change to 50hz. What am looking for is a machinist to change the pulley in the motor( I think its called a pulley) to convert it to 50hz.

This needs to be 100% precisely done. I know I could buy another motor buts it's a lyrec motor and I want to keep it.

Any recommendations???

Best
    Peter

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭peter05

before anyone say's stick a converter plug onto it, I can't:) the motor still needs to operate at 60hz and by sticking a converter plug its speed will be running slow at 16.6% freq. difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Clarke Electrical Rewinds in Meath.. wouldn't consider going anywhere else..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

So basically you want to change they pulley on the front of the motor? You want that pulley to change in radius by 16%, so the speed of the system remains the 100% same.

What sort of pulley is it? v-belt?

Changing the pulley by exactly that amount is unlikely to give exactly the same speed. There's just too many variables in the system, the slip of the motor, motor load, belt tension/geometry etc...

Why do you need the speed 100% the same? If the existing motor is currently be run directly off 3 phase, its speed will vary with load, supply voltage etc etc...

You would be better off with a variable speed drive and setting it to exactly the speed required and let it do closed loop control on the motor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Can you clarify in my head - it's a 60 hz motor running on 50 hz mains supply and you want to change the size of pulley to compensate for the lower frequency?

I'll get in touch with clarke electric before sussing out a variable drive. I'll post back afterwards.

Thanks guys

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

stoneill wrote: »
    Can you clarify in my head - it's a 60 hz motor running on 50 hz mains supply and you want to change the size of pulley to compensate for the lower frequency?

Yup..... slightly confused here myself?
    If you want a motor to run at the same speed you get when 60hz is applied, then what you need is a converter, changing the pully seems like the more complicated and costly way about this.
    Can you give some more info..... is it a 220v motor or a 110v, what current does it draw and how many rpm's does it produce at the given frequency?

earpiece wrote: »
    Yup..... slightly confused here myself?
    If you want a motor to run at the same speed you get when 60hz is applied, then what you need is a converter, changing the pully seems like the more complicated and costly way about this.
    Can you give some more info..... is it a 220v motor or a 110v, what current does it draw and how many rpm's does it produce at the given frequency?

Ok, currently motor runs 110v 60hz 1800rpm. I need it to run @ 50hz without the loss of rpm, If i stick a 110v 50hz converter onto it, it runs slow because of the freq. difference between 50/60hz. The motor is still seeking the 60hz to run.

Hopefully that might make it a small bit understandable.

I have been in touch with clarke electric they have never done a conversion, but they are going to have a look see if anybody can.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 zebrano.96

have made new pulleys for machines before when i had access to lathes doing single to three phase conversions .don t do it anymore bought a converter much easier.easier way is to clock and re bush suitable pulley,but u need to find out rpm of motor and driving rim speed in mtr. min.and use formula to get back up to same mtr. min.will u lose torque by decreesing hrz :confused:converter easier

just read your pevious post properly.
    yes the rpm will drop with less hrz. but try not to think in terms of rpm and instead look at the rim speed of pulley this whats driving the belt in mtr min .check the rpm when running on lower hrz with strobe light or similar to get rpm and compare to original and the work out mtr min and this will give u the pulley size hope this helps ,still think inverter converter easier:)

Is there some industrial inverter converter i could find handy enough.
    I really don't want to go messing around with the pulley system, It would mean placing the motor in a different position. I can look into the inverter root more.

I don't think I'll have much joy getting it rewound.

Thank you for the input there.

It belongs to a cutting lathe for mastering for Vinyl records. So even if the motor is out by 1% it's useless

• Advertisement

talk to desert dave at drives direct .unsure myself about single phase drives, use single to thee phase myself on dual voltage motors .if its 1800 rpm i bet that pulley is small whats the diameter.belts can be got in lots of different sizes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Dont know much about this but i got all gears and pulleys produced by

Dublin Gear co at santry.

Advertisement