Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkzone Extra 300

Options
  • 04-03-2012 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Im looking to buy an extra 300 rc model from parkzone,can someome familiar with this aircraft advise me on what exactly do i need. They sort of come half built in the package with no radio transmitter, so i need to now what else i need to buy. And is there someone in ireland selling the parkzone models?
    cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Xpro wrote: »
    Hi,
    Im looking to buy an extra 300 rc model from parkzone,can someome familiar with this aircraft advise me on what exactly do i need. They sort of come half built in the package with no radio transmitter, so i need to now what else i need to buy. And is there someone in ireland selling the parkzone models?
    cheers

Hi

How experienced a flyer are you as the extra 300 is very fast and manouverable and if you're not too experienced, she'll be a handful to say the least. Its in stock here in bind and fly and plug and play:
    http://http://www.modelmaniacsonline.co.uk/products.php?CatID=7&SubCatID=573&ProductID=8645&Title=ParkZone+Extra+300+BNF&ManCode=PKZ5180.

Any Spektrum transmitter will work with the DX5 being the basic one and then you move up to the DX6i, DX7, DX8 etc etc depending on how much money you have:D. With the bind and fly version above, you;ll need a transmitter to fly. With the plug and play version, you'll need transmitter, receiver, battery and charger.

If you are experienced, I've heard she's a great plane for speed and limited aerobatics. The landing gear is a weak point and is prone to breaking on grass fields. Hard surfaces suit her better.

The model shop in Capel Street in Dublin recently started stocking Parkzone planes but it'd be cheaper to buy online. However if you want to be "patriotic/pull on the green jersey" etc and don't mind spending a bit more, then try the shop above.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

You can get one here.The are quiet a good bit dearer than the ones on uk sites but if you can collect from the store it might work out around the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Xpro

Thanks for the info lads. Im over in uk tommorow, i'll see if i can pick one there first, if not i'll get one here.

I had an rc nitro plane before, learner model, but i like the parkzone extra, just hope i dont wreck it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Thanks for the info lads. Im over in uk tommorow, i'll see if i can pick one there first, if not i'll get one here.

I had an rc nitro plane before, learner model, but i like the parkzone extra, just hope i dont wreck it

I dont believe the step up from a nitro trainer to a more aerobatic aircraft is that big a step. But the extra 300 will be very responsive and wont have any self leveling tendencies like trainers do, so you have to be constantly giving flight inputs.

If you were well able for the trainer, you should be ok. Just be prepared for sensitive controls. You could keep the control surfaces movement limits at the lower end to start with.

And dial in at least 40% expo to the sticks so that a slight twitch by you won't send the plane into the ground. Expo is quite useful on fast agile planes and allows you to fly the plane smoothly instead of jerking it round the sky.

• Advertisement

And dial in at least 40% expo to the sticks so that a slight twitch by you won't send the plane into the ground. Expo is quite useful on fast agile planes and allows you to fly the plane smoothly instead of jerking it round the sky.

I thought you might mention that alright:D.

It can be activated on the dx5e as well, if needed. I never used expo for flying, but its very useful alright to reduce over corrections, especialy for the choppers.

Ask me how I know that a twitch can send a plane down :D

At first I didn't like expo as it deadened the control response but I began to appreciate how my planes banked a lot smoother with expo when they banked too sharply without it.

Thanks for your input lads.

I have one on order, place in uk selling the B`N`F package for 135£.
    I just need a transmitter. Can you recommend me which one should i get.Im thinking spectrum dx5 or dx6i. not really sure what is the difference between those two models, but they are recommended for parkzone models
    cheers

Thanks for your input lads.

I have one on order, place in uk selling the B`N`F package for 135£.
    I just need a transmitter. Can you recommend me which one should i get.Im thinking spectrum dx5 or dx6i. not really sure what is the difference between those two models, but they are recommended for parkzone models
    cheers

Either will do for that plane. The dx6i is a far better radio though, if you have any thought of getting more aircraft. Its a programmable radio capable of flying fixed wing and helicopters. Also has 10 model memories, where as the dx5 is just for 1 aircraft at a time, and would need to be trimmed and setup for each aircraft used with it, where as the dx6i will store the settings for each aircraft you setup on it, and just pick the one your going to fly from the list you stored on it.

So if you will just have the one plane and thats it, the dx5 will do.

If you will get more, and may want to have the option of flying different ones on any given day, the dx6i is the one.

Robbie has put it in a nutshell, one plane = DX5, multiple planes = DX6i.

I have both transmitters and 12 planes. While I use the DX5 for a scratch built Focke Wulf 190 I put together myself, all my other planes are on the DX6i (except my Supercub as I had to delete it as I needed the slot for my edf). I couldn't imagine the grief of having to rebind a plane, set it up etc everytime I wanted to fly a different model. I usually bring two planes with me anyway when I go flying and its just a matter of choosing the new plane from the DX6i's model memory when I want to switch.

I might have been in a position to put my DX6i up for sale (hint hint) as I was going to buy either the DX8 or the Hitec Aurora A9 for their additional features and model memory but neither are in stock at the moment.

• Advertisement

Yea the dx8 or aurora 9 are 2 i looked at. You will need all new receivers, and possibly close off the bind and fly aircraft if you move away from spektrum. Nice radio the aurora though.

The aurora has the glider programmming. Id like that myself. It was a fair job setting up the crow braking on the dx7 for the cularis..

That's what I was thinking. The A9 is the better tx (imo) with the simplicity of the touchscreen for programming but I wouldn't fancy the expense of replacing all my existing Spektrum rxs with Hitec ones. That's why I'd keep the DX6i in all probability for most of my existing planes and use the A9 for my next phase of flying, is bigger more intricate models, most likely a large glider.

I don't want to appear superior here but I think I'm at the stage of moving past parkflyers into something more challenging

That's what I was thinking. The A9 is the better tx (imo) with the simplicity of the touchscreen for programming but I wouldn't fancy the expense of replacing all my existing Spektrum rxs with Hitec ones. That's why I'd keep the DX6i in all probability for most of my existing planes and use the A9 for my next phase of flying, is bigger more intricate models, most likely a large glider.
    Yea i was going to suggest keeping the dx6i. You might regret selling it. Very handy to have in addition to the hitec.
    I don't want to appear superior here but I think I'm at the stage of moving past parkflyers into something more challenging

There is nothing superior about that, park flyers have their place, you could of went to other aircraft much sooner, but there is plenty in the park flyer aircraft dept to keep a RC pilot interested.

The bigger more powerful aircraft are no harder to fly than park fliers, and as they get bigger, they tend to get smoother and fly more realistic, accompanied by more realistic crashes if any happen:D

Here is a an example of a nice one for petrol, and in action. That would be simple to fly.

The aurora 9 would be great for large gliders with its glider programming. Full house gliders are a third seperate aircraft to powered fixed wing and helis in terms of setting up.

I have more interest in powered gliders now than the high performance planes these days. The odd time the p51 comes out, its like a rocket from mostly flying the cularis or radians.

Gliders can actually catch a pilot out with becoming un-responsive when the airflow reduces over the control surfaces, such as when a headwind suddenly reduces etc. So learing to fly through the radian is no bad thing.

The p51 nitro mustang i have, probably has nearly as many glide landings on it, as powered ones. Its a great one to see gliding in from a good altitude.

Ok, i got my parkzone Extra a few weeks ago, and i had it out a few times since.
    Very nice plane to fly, extremly powerfull, on full throttle it climbs like crazy, probably little bit too fast for me. Battery is excellent, it last for bloody ages..
    Its quite easy to handle once in the air, i have expos and dual rates turned down for the moment, still getting used to it,its very responsive:eek:.

The only thing i find hard is landing it, this plane is defo not a floater, you constantly need to feed the power, so you need to land with a good bit of speed, otherwise she just stalls. Even in the air, it feels very tail heavy, despite the CG being in the centre and set up as per instructions.
    I also broke the landing gear on my second landing, the wheel fairings got caught in the grass, and the whole lot just ripped apart. I have fixed it since and remove the fairings, but i defo need to get bigger wheels for grass landings.

Hopefully we`ll get some nice weather soon, this wind is not helping at all:(

cheers

This little plane is great fun,it took me a while to get used to it, it travels very fast.
    I installed some 4" rubber wheels twice the size then originals, they are much better for grass landings and they give better prop clearance.

23usi6s.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭seanmcgrath48

This little plane is great fun,it took me a while to get used to it, it travels very fast.
    I installed some 4" rubber wheels twice the size then originals, they are much better for grass landings and they give better prop clearance.

23usi6s.jpg

How are you getting on with your extra now ?

Just got one myself the other week..
    002-36.jpg

001-39.jpg

Sean

How are you getting on with your extra now ?

Just got one myself the other week..

Sean

Hi,

very good plane, well worth the money, i got two battery packs now so i get more flight time.

It was tricky initally but i got used to it now, expos and rates are turned to max now and she flies very well.
    Its amazing for my first proper rc plane, i wouldnt go back to non aerobatic model again. Knife edges are so easy with this plane and especially inverted flying, rolls,etc
    Its a fast plane but it can also fly very very slow, nearly at the stall if you can prevent the wing drop and ballance it with rudder.

Im thinking of getting eflite carbon yak next for more advanced 3d aerobatics

cheers

Just fitted 70mm wheels.

001-41.jpg

Any body know where I can get a new/spare cowl (PKZ5126)

Sean..

Any body know where I can get a new/spare cowl (PKZ5126)

Sean..

Try this crowd. I bought loads from them, they are excellent to deal with and plus they carry all parkzone stock.

cheers

http://www.rc-choppers.com/index.cfm/product/extra-300-painted-cowl-351

• Advertisement

Try this crowd. I bought loads from them, they are excellent to deal with and plus they carry all parkzone stock.

cheers

http://www.rc-choppers.com/index.cfm/product/extra-300-painted-cowl-351

Out of Stock...:mad:

Haha, somebody just bought it. I checked before i posted.
    Check rc pitstop also very good.

How do you find plane now?
    Cheers

Haha, somebody just bought it. I checked before i posted.
    Check rc pitstop also very good.

How do you find plane now?
    Cheers

I haven't flown my Extra since last weekend ,
    snapped the prop on landing and cracked the cowl...:o...
    still have to get use too landing gear :rolleyes:..
    It's not like landing a glider..

Two new props arrived today from R/C PitStop(uk) they where out of stock on the cowls,but I found one at Leeds Model Center.

Just got to get out know and practice the landings :eek:

Sean
    Bandon Model Flying Club | To invent an airplane is nothing, to build one is something, to fly is everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭typera12

hi lads i have an extra 300 aswell have it about a year and a half great plane for aerobatics flys even better upside down,ive recently moved on to bigger electric models i bought this from hobbyking it does crazy aerobatics due to the large control surfaces and has plenty of power i hooked it up to my watt meter and its putting out 1200 watts great for 3D

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=20702

sbachblack-20702.jpg

Heres my Parkzone collection

typera12 wrote: »
    Heres my Parkzone collection

Nice ...

typera12 wrote: »
    hi lads i have an extra 300 aswell have it about a year and a half great plane for aerobatics flys even better upside down,ive recently moved on to bigger electric models i bought this from hobbyking it does crazy aerobatics due to the large control surfaces and has plenty of power i hooked it up to my watt meter and its putting out 1200 watts great for 3D

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=20702

sbachblack-20702.jpg

Nice plane. Can you tell me what is needed to complete this plane? as in are they BNF pr Pnp?
    I was looking at eflite carbon yak 54 to replace my extra but they redicolously expensive.
    cheers

They are PNP very easy build comes with an 80amp esc and a powerfull motor i replaced all the servos with hitec metal gear servos as the stock ones are not the best to be honest but its a great aerobatic model very easy to fly the model also comes in orange, Dave bruton will be displaying the real thing at the bray airshow this year cant wait

Advertisement