Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The hidden costs of leasing premises...

Options
  • 04-03-2012 9:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys. I've been keeping an eye out for the last while for somewhere suitable to put a small strength and conditioning facility/personal training studio in. I think I've found one - 600 sq ft, rent's about €450 a month, and it's been on the market for a few months, there's a number of similar units available.

Any idea on what sort of overheads to expect? Agent said no service charges and negligible (if any) rates. It's a nice unit, looks finished (walls painted and plastered, full lighting and toilet facility).

I'd say it would only have the doors open for 8-10 hours a week initially.

I'm thinking power/electricity, water rates... what else and a rough idea of how much?!

Just having a very early look at things, any advice re: expected costs would be savage because I litereally have NO idea :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Stillweak

Sorry I'm no help to you but are you thinking of opening northside or southside.
    Good luck with the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Pixie Chief

This is just off the top of my head but I would think public liability insurance might be a big one for the list. If you are leaving goods/equipment in there then maybe add insurance for that. Security, possibly? Incidentally, when I say 'big' I don't necessarily mean expensive but definitely important :D: Oh, don't forget to include costs of travel in your budget...I have done that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I have been looking at places too and this is the list of potential costs I have been working from:

Rent
    Council Rates (AFAIK you are looking at a very minimum of €2K per annum)
    Water Rates
    Power
    Heating
    Insurance
    Security

Also, no matter how good a place or how recently renovated it is, you are going to have to invest in things like Branding, or modifying it in some way. You'll want a sign on a few walls, and maybe you'll want to install a main door release switch, possibly move the reception desk to suit you. Pot plants, posters, notice boards, and so on. All adds up.

Best of luck with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Stillweak wrote: »
    Sorry I'm no help to you but are you thinking of opening northside or southside.
    Good luck with the place.

The unit I'm looking at right now is northside!
    This is just off the top of my head but I would think public liability insurance might be a big one for the list. If you are leaving goods/equipment in there then maybe add insurance for that. Security, possibly? Incidentally, when I say 'big' I don't necessarily mean expensive but definitely important :D: Oh, don't forget to include costs of travel in your budget...I have done that!

Did I hear someone say public liability is only around E250?? I have personal insurance already.

Security as in like manned security in the industrial estate? As far as I was advised by the agent, there's no additional costs like that but I'll double check to make sure.

Thanks for the tips :)
    prospect wrote: »
    I have been looking at places too and this is the list of potential costs I have been working from:

Rent
    Council Rates (AFAIK you are looking at a very minimum of €2K per annum)
    Water Rates
    Power
    Heating
    Insurance
    Security

Also, no matter how good a place or how recently renovated it is, you are going to have to invest in things like Branding, or modifying it in some way. You'll want a sign on a few walls, and maybe you'll want to install a main door release switch, possibly move the reception desk to suit you. Pot plants, posters, notice boards, and so on. All adds up.

Best of luck with it.

Awesome, thanks!

Is there any way to find out rates online without contacting the council?

Is anyone able to give rough estimations for the above for a 600 sq ft unit?

RE: branding and stuff - yeah I'd considerd that but was kinda budgeting for it in capital costs along with equipment and stuff :)

The Auctioneer should have an accurate figure.

• Advertisement

Phone & Broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Hanley wrote: »
    Is there any way to find out rates online without contacting the council?

I'd call the the council. They'll be able to tell you exactly and accurately, including water rates (if any).

The estate agent, in my experience, doesn't really care and will quote you any figure that pops into his/her mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭hayzer

Id be interested in this too. Viewing a place tomorrow, but would love to know what a ball park figure would be on rates.

Advertisement