Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SU Elections

• 04-03-2012 9:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering, since I can't find anything on it here, does everyone know voting for this is on tomorrow and Tuesday?

Is everyone here voting, or just not care about it?

It's been quiet enough this year with elections, next two days will be crazy on campus though

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭pirateninja

Still not entirely sure about who I'll vote for. Reckon I'll be voting to leave USI in the referendum though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Still not entirely sure about who I'll vote for. Reckon I'll be voting to leave USI in the referendum though..

Ya,voting to leave USI too.

I'm voting Sam Ryan for deputy,Lauren Costello for Comms, Danny Keane for B&L Rep, and not sure on the others. It's between Ann Marie Harte and Eoghan Healy for President though, cant decide, and probably Audrey for Welfare although still unsure

• Registered Users Posts: 15 skittlesej

Where are the elections on? I can't find info anywhere..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

Most of the stuff I've heard about it has been people posting "vote for my friend" on Facebook. That said I've barely been on campus for about 2 weeks trying doing FYP related things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MrsFlintstone

Most likey voting sam ryan and eoghan healy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I haven't heard a tap about the referendum, nor is there any information up on collegeroad about it.

Out of interest, does the referendum have to pass any rules in order to be void, i.e. they have to get 10% of the possible voters to vote on it?

skittlesej wrote: »
    Where are the elections on? I can't find info anywhere..

They're on tomorrow and Tuesday
    gubbie wrote: »
    I haven't heard a tap about the referendum, nor is there any information up on collegeroad about it.

Out of interest, does the referendum have to pass any rules in order to be void, i.e. they have to get 10% of the possible voters to vote on it?

There's very little information on it out there. Collegeroad.ie Facebook said vote yes, there's a vote yes event on Facebook, there's a vote no event, but neither contain much relevant information on it. I only heard about it yesterday off of Facebook. It's a bit of a shambles tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭johnny-fatality

titan18 wrote: »
    They're on tomorrow and Tuesday

There's very little information on it out there. Collegeroad.ie Facebook said vote yes, there's a vote yes event on Facebook, there's a vote no event, but neither contain much relevant information on it. I only heard about it yesterday off of Facebook. It's a bit of a shambles tbh

"The referendum will be the extra sheet of paper for the elections tomorrow and Monday. Vote Yes to USI Affiliation. If you have questions ask the USI Officers or UCCSU Officers out on all the campuses tomorrow."

That's laughable. Base your vote on what information an SU officer tells you (who's intrinsically biased, and I mean that technically, not insultingly) on the day of the referendum?

Essentially, they're asking students to vote without any prior discussion of the issues. I presume based on the perceived credibility of the rep instead of letting them make up their own minds after reading the information.

That's pretty much constituent of a flawed referendum. On the same weekend as a Russian election that is in the process of being condemned as flawed and corrupt by those in our own country (and, probably those taking part in this referendum), having this level of bias is a poor showing, and perhaps a little hypocritical.
    I know it's only a micro, micro system of UCC SU politics, but the principle grates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭ciaradx

I know who I'm voting for the SU but still torn by the referendum. The only decent informaton I could find in the USI referendum was on page 8 in the Express. It's an article by Greg Higgins, who explains why we should vote no and disaffiliate, and Kate Acheson, who explains why we should vote yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

Could someone please tell me why I should vote for or against leaving the USI?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭JohnyDarko

ríomhaire wrote: »

A completely unbiased pros/cons list help? ;)

Pros
    • They provide SU sabbat training
    • They provide training for LGBT officers
    • They organize protests

Cons
    • There is training orginized by non-USI institutions (such as CIT, DCU and NUIM)
    • They're protests aren't effective and they invite all non-USI members to them to boost numbers anyway
    • They take €85,000+ of UCC student money which could otherwise be spent on something worthwhile
    • They spend an inordinate amount hosting a lavish 4 day piss-up at a 4/5 star hotel for members of the various SU's plus their hangers on.
    • Their protests have had little to no effect (see the "cap" on fees)
    • There is no benefit they give us which we would miss if we disaffiliate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

ríomhaire wrote: »
    Vote yes for jobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

Campus today was LITTERED with these annoying canvassers. I was fit to kill! Every 10 seconds, literally, I was bombarded by about ten people jumping in my face telling me to vote for whoever. Lads, I know ye're doin it for a good purpose, but less of the being in my face please!

/rant

As for the candidates, gonna vote Harte for President, Ryan for Deputy, Costello for Comms, Walsh for Welfare. Anybody know why Cat dropped out of the race? I was gonna vote for her again!

As for the USI, I wish they'd given more information to us. The SU are biased towards it, therefore want it in and are not giving us the proper info to make our own mind up on it. I'm voting No. I hope the no gets passed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

As for the candidates, gonna vote Harte for President, Ryan for Deputy, Costello for Comms, Walsh for Welfare. Anybody know why Cat dropped out of the race? I was gonna vote for her again!

I hear no ones running for USI Education so she decided to step in there instead

I hear no ones running for USI Education so she decided to step in there instead

Would she even be able to when/if UCC secede from the USI after the referendum?

JohnyDarko wrote: »

Ya, if we leave, UCC are still in it for next year afaik, and then we're out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

JohnyDarko wrote: »

Is it a USI position or just the SU? Wouldnt make sense to have people running for USI positions while also having a referendum on whether or not we want/need those positions!

Aodan83 wrote: »
    Is it a USI position or just the SU? Wouldnt make sense to have people running for USI positions while also having a referendum on whether or not we want/need those positions!

Its USI. And a lot of things about it don't make a lot of sense... like them giving us such short notice that a referendum was coming up on this issue, not publicising it at all, and the SU not taking a neutral stance on it.

Also: gotta love election season :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭Nervosa

Voted there.

Voted No to staying with USI.

Voted to reopen all other positions.

I hate SU election time. Fcuking populatity contest.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

USI is a waste of money tbh. A lot of money spent protesting on education matters which never works. They have yet to achieve anything. Their campaign to get students voting Labour in the general election was a farse which back fired with Labour cutting into education and raising fees. The response was another protest surrounded in controversy with Guards making arrests for their silly occupy idea. A lot of questions about money being spent on stuff like toilets and tents. The USI President was at the Fianna Fail Ard Fheia over the weekend which was odd seeing as they caused huge problems for students!

I'd vote No if I was a UCC Student. Waste of time and your money. They serve no purpose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Saw the slogan "vote for a-hoey". WTF.

I read it as "vote for a**hole". No offence to the person but it's a rubbish slogan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Campus today was LITTERED with these annoying canvassers. I was fit to kill! Every 10 seconds, literally, I was bombarded by about ten people jumping in my face telling me to vote for whoever. Lads, I know ye're doin it for a good purpose, but less of the being in my face please!

Had to go through UCC yesterday and I was struck by the above also. I've been out of UCC for 4 years, so maybe things have changed radically, but in all the time I was there, I never remember anyone given a toss about the elections - bar those involved - and nothing like what I witnessed yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Nervosa wrote: »
    Voted there.

Voted No to staying with USI.

Voted to reopen all other positions.

Same, except I voted against the two current officers seeking re-election. Especially in Dave Carey's case it seemed like a blatant attempt to avoid hitting the "real world" by hanging on for another year.

RE the USI referendum: the tactics involved are the same as always. They notify of the referendums in an email and attach a little "SU supports all these" and leave it at that. Exactly like the national government with the recent referenda. Though this year there were USI people hanging around ... I wonder where they got the funding for the t-shirts and leaflets?

In relation to voting RON, why would ye vote for more elections when ye hate them?

That and if you think its a popularity contest, go and read the manifestos, attend Hustings and vote on who you think is the best for the job. If people did that and took responsibility, there wouldn't need to be as much on campus flyering and trying to get people to vote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

USI just re voted in. Sickened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭pirateninja

College Rep for Arts, Celtic Studies and Social Science
    Roy Sheehan 896
    Ron 193

Roy Sheehan Elected

College Rep for Business and Law
    Danny Keane 812
    Ron 163

Danny Keane Elected

College Rep for Medicine and Health Sciences
    Cillian Lineen 300 (+4) 304
    Jean Marsh 291 (+4) 295
    Ron 25 (8 to transfer)

Cillian Lineen Elected

College Rep for Science, Food Science and Engineering
    Eoin Hanrahan 510
    Kieran Birrane 242
    Ron 80

Eoin Hanrahan Elected

Equality Officer
    David Berry 3094
    Ron 278

David Berry Elected

USI Affiliation Referendum
    Total Poll 3672
    Spoilt 80

Yes 2543
    No 1049

Referendum Passed (UCC remains affiliated to USI)

Irish Officer
    Ruth Ni Riada 1490 (+168) 1658
    Ciaran O'Briain 1146 (+219) 1365
    Gabhain O'Donnabhain 588 eliminated
    Ron 166 eliminated

Non transferable 367

Ruth Ni Riada elected

Entertainments Officer
    Total poll 3861

Ash O'Hagan 3118
    Ron 403
    Spoilt 340

Ash O'Hagan elected

Welfare Officer

Total poll 3861

Dave Carey 1584 (+86) 1670
    Ben Nolan 633 (+75) 708
    Siobhan O'Neill 497 (eliminated)
    Audrey Walsh 806 (+148) 954
    Ron 72 (eliminated)

Spoilt 269
    Non transferable 260

Dave Carey Elected

Commercial & Communications Officer

Total poll 3819

Lauren Costello 1684
    James Doc O'Doherty 1820
    Ron 89

Spoilt 226

James Doc O'Doherty elected

Education Officer
    Total poll 3819

PJ O'Brien 3179
    Ron 333
    Spoilt 307

PJ O'Brien elected

Deputy President and Campaigns

Total Poll 3810

Annie Hoey 1708 (+7) 1715
    Sam Ryan 1776 (+15) 1791
    Ron 103

Spoilt 223
    Non transferable 81

Sam Ryan Elected.

President

Total poll 3810

Ronan Breen 1060 (+4) (+15) 1079
    Ann Marie Harte 698 (+1) (+27) 726 
    Eoghan Healy 1794 (+2) (+49) 1845
    Nathan Jege 136
    Ron 47

Spoilt 75

Eoghan Healy elected

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Was there any attempt at a "No" campaign on this anyway? The Facebook group appeared very late

Sully wrote: »
    Was there any attempt at a "No" campaign on this anyway? The Facebook group appeared very late

Most people didn't know there was a referendum until that late. I found out a few days before, but afaik most didn't know until last weekend.

Delighted for Sam, but Lauren not getting it was a shame. She's so far and away the best person for the job, it's a bit of a disgrace she didn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

disappointed at the result of the USI referendum, but it was run in true Irish political fashion. No Info and No Publicity.

spoiled the rest of my votes as always.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Went onto the collegeroad.ie website, no mention anywhere of the Nathan Jege lad who ran for president? Hardly fair.

Advertisement