Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

18 days,august 2012 Oz

Options
  • 04-03-2012 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

Thinking of going to Oz for 3 weeks in August.Between flying from Dublin etc we'll prob only have 18 days to explore.Wifes brother lives in Sydney so we will prob hang out with him for a week then head somewere warm and relax for a few days.Any recommendations?Thinking about flying up to Cairns for a week,see Barrier Reef etc.Is there any other cheapish sun destinations?Other suggestions on how to spend our time welcomed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Airlie Beach on the easy coast is well worth a visit. Lovely part of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Darwin would be beautiful that time of year. Pretty much guaranteed sunshine. Some beautiful national parks there. If you like the outdoors definitely worth a visit. Kayaking, swimming and lots of places to walk and see. The nightlife would be limited there though and full of backpackers. Some nice restaurants though as well. Anywhere south of and including Brisbane will be cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

How cold? Is it not just like our autumn? Was looking at Darwin but flights are cheaper to Cairns and I would love to see Barrier Reef, cape tribulation.

If you want somewhere warm you will have to go fairly far up north to be guaranteed warm weather. Again it depends on what you want to do. If you just want to relax and enjoy the warm weather I would recommend Darwin. Cairns is a backpacker young drinking spot. Sydney and Melbourne will be between 5 and 15c. Brisbane may reach 20c but not guaranteed and a fair chance of rain or heavy cloud in all of them. Flights to Darwin wouldn't be too bad if you booked in advance.
    You have 18 days. That's a good bit of time. I'd nearly fit in a few days in Melbourne if you could. It's a lovely city and even in the winter the place is a hive of activity with the footy on every weekend and lots of cafes and things on. A week in Sydney, 3 days in Melbourne and then do the rest in Darwin. Check out Litchfield and Kakadu NPs on google.
    I don't think you have enough time to do the whole east coast if you are staying in Sydney for a week. You would need 3 weeks alone to do it and that would be pushing it.
    The Barrier Reef is nice but you would need to be a good swimmer to really enjoy it.
    You need to give more info as regards what you like to do...lay on beach or sights or city person???

Basically,we're into sightseeing,city touring and lying on a beach relaxing so thats why we'd like to combine all 3.Sydney,Melbourne and somewere warm(doesn't have to roasting).The wife is leaning towards Cairns,I'm easy.Would you recommend Darwin over Cairns.Is there more to do in and around Darwin?Which has nicer beaches to relax?
    Flights from Sydney to Cairns in August are around €250,flights to Darwin are €413.Flights to Melbourne about €90.
    Flights from Dublin to Sydney,via Abu Dhabi, in August are about €1200.Seems a bit much to me,was hoping they'd be around €1000,but if thats what they normally are,so be it.

• Advertisement

If you are looking for beaches Cairns or Darwin may be no good to you. I know there is a dangerous jellyfish in their waters in the wet season, from around Nov to Apr. You wont be there then but Im not sure how safe and how good the beaches are. Darwin and Cairns have man made lagoons to make up for this.
    I recommend that you do Fraser Island and the Whitsundays. They are much better than the Barrier Reef imo. They are both north of Brisbane so they should be plenty warm enough. They are really beautiful places and Fraser is one of those unique places in the world. Lots of dingoes to spot. One of my favourite memories was around sunset. Fishermen would be along the beach with their cast rods set and the dingoes would sit behind them hoping to steal a bit of fish or bait.

OP
    Airlie Beach is the gateway to the Whitsundays. I found it to be more of a cheap drinking spot. Not a huge amount in terms of restaurants or things to do. There is a lagoon there as well.

Fraser and Whitsundays seem to be very far apart,over 12 hours driving.Whats the best way to access them from Sydney?Is there an airport near?We'll have maybe a week to explore but I don't want to be driving half that time.Then again,I'm sure its the best way to see the sights.

Have a look at this link.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71220350

It's a tough one. You could fly from Melbourne to Brisbane and then get bus. Hervey Bay (Fraser Island) is about 4 hours from Brisbane. However, you're going to be picking up the cost. The east coast is not cheap especially if you are doing it in a very short time frame and travelling on a bus for long periods is tiring. However, I don't think there are many other choices than doing the bus.
    Airlie Beach (Whitsundays) is about 12 hours up the coast from Hervey Bay (Fraser Island). Makay is about 2 hours from Airlie Beach I think. Maybe once you get to Makay you could fly onto Cairns but that would be 3 internal flights.

Might look into flying to Brisbane,then get bus or hire car.Visit Fraser,then drop car off in Whitsundays?Whats the train network like?Would it be quicker and more comfortable?

• Advertisement

From what I have read online trains are not really an option. I don't think there was any train station in Airlie Beach area. I don't remember hearing anyone getting the train up along the east coast.The buses seem to be the only real option other than car rental. Rental would be relatively expensive. It depends on your other half. Will she be happy to spend 12hrs on a bus? Some people take overnight buses.
    You really are tight on time to fit a lot of things in. Don't try to do too much. Give yourself the time to settle, have a coffee on a nice morning and enjoy watching life go by in the various places.
    It's a great place to drive a camper. I really enjoyed doing that. Choosing where to stop and going at your own pace is a great plus. If you have the cash the rental car may be the better option than a bus.

The mother in law is thinking about coming now cos we're going to be visiting the brother in law in Sydney.The 4 of us will prob head up north for a week in the sun.Both he and her are chilled people,into relaxing,nice food,few drinks and strolling around places.So,I did a bit of research-theres flights from Sydney into Hervey Bay(for Fraser) and Whitsunday Coast airport or Hamilton Island(for Whitsundays).
    So,we might choose 1 of these for a week of sun,relaxation?

I heard Hamilton/Whitsundays are expensive.Also we'd be looking at 11-18th August and theres a race week on Hamilton 17-25 Aug so it could be crazy busy leading up to that.

Another idea is to fly into Townsville and spend a week on Magnetic Island?

Again,these are only rough ideas so thats why I'm looking for opinions.Thanks so far!!

Advertisement