Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The recession fridge in Tesco.

• 04-03-2012 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

You know the fridge where the almost-mouldy food goes.

That's where I got my dinner from over the last few days, scraping coppers together and snooping around . It's actually not that bad, and I can't wait to do it again.

It really doesn't make sense to pay €10 for a fillet steak when there is one just down the aisle a bit being sold for €1. It tastes the exact same (well... maybe use a bit more salt & pepper hehe). I also got a whole sliced pan for 10c. Into the freezer with it.

So does anybody have some good tips on how to get the best deals? When can you find the cheapest items? Like 1am or what? Is there a certain day that has more discounted stuff than usual?

Come on, lets delve into the science of recessionology.

Mod Note - Re-reg Banned.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭shancoduff

I do the same sometimes, daylight robbery! That stare you get when you take something someone else at the section is eyeing up. Feelsgoodman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

it's actually called salmonella corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Did not know about this. I'll be taking a peak next weekend though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

ReVoP wrote: »

That's where I got my dinner from over the last few days, scraping coppers together and snooping around . It's actually not that bad, and I can't wait to do it again.

It really doesn't make sense to pay €10 for a fillet steak when there is one just down the aisle a bit being sold for €1. It tastes the exact same (well... maybe use a bit more salt & pepper hehe). I also got a whole sliced pan for 10c. Into the freezer with it.

So does anybody have some good tips on how to get the best deals? When can you find the cheapest items? Like 1am or what? Is there a certain day that has more discounted stuff than usual?

Have you tried Swans?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭shancoduff

phasers wrote: »
    it's actually called salmonella corner.

Hehe :) Most of the food has nothing wrong with it though, the shelf date means very little. If something in your own fridge was "out of date" but still looked good would you bin it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

There's no shame in being frugal.

Being wasteful is what's shameful imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I bought what was described as "heart" for 5 cent, and it had a free box with it. The box was lovely, but the heart tasted like sh1t.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I do it if for instance I want chicken that particular night, why would I pay 7 euro for a few fillets when I can get the same ones for 1 euro in the bargain fridge? Tastes the same and I'm eating it that day anyway. If I spot some nice bread in there, boom straight into the freezer when I get home.

I love a good bargain!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

It's actually called the tight cunts fridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

I was looking at this shelf recently, I never bothered with it before, I guess I assumed it was the returns shelf (stuff waiting to go back to its section) then I seen the labels, 5c yogurt, I was there literally 20 seconds and this woman came over with her empty trolley, she cleared the shelf! Everything, except some some prawns.. I don't think she will be leaving the bathroom much either seeing that she bought 8 yogurts that were off the same day!

That was all she bought, fair enough, but it was like she thought I was going take stuff before she got it..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

They have pheasant in LIDL now.

I are an aristycrat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

I are an aristycrat.
    Why pay for Pheasant when you can have swans for free!:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

I used to get stuff from there until one day I got yoghurts that had mould on them already - opened one when I got home

Probably depends on which tesco you go to but the one here often has stuff in it that's already too far gone off for my liking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Ah.. The Especiale Ecoli Extravaganza ..

You haven't a chance at my local Tescos..

Word has spread of the bargains that can be found..

10 past 7 every evening there is a "gang" of about 15 people all hanging around above mentioned fridge.... waiting to pounce!

You would want to be brave to jump in to get the bargain before the others..

Although sometimes I have got a few things, but more often than not the "organised gang" seem to get them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Yup, and everyone loves a tight cunt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

lividduck wrote: »
    Why pay for Pheasant when you can have swans for free!:D:D

Spot the Latvian :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

foxinsox wrote: »
    10 past 7 every evening there is a "gang" of about 15 people all hanging around above mentioned fridge.... waiting to pounce!

I read this and all I pictured were them food drops you seen on the news when theres a natural disaster or famine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

ReVoP wrote: »

I commend you. And I condemn the people who buy food and then throw it away without eating it. Anyone doing that cannot be suffering from the recession.

http://www.stopfoodwaste.ie/index.php?id=59&menu=

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RedFFWolf

Does anybody go to the Tesco in Millfield, Balbriggan? When one of the staff come to the reduced fridge food section towards the evening, people seem magnetically drawn to the spot, and suddenly the aisle is blocked off with people shoving while trying to look polite but veins are begin to pop in the foreheads.
    Baskets do be flown, there are verbal fights, and even once a family who frequented the spot threatened to sue when they were denied more.
    There was I believe, some serious trouble regarding it where some people were thrown out over fighting for the food - many take to holding on to food they know will be reduced later, and hand it to the person to reduce it for them.

The bakery is getting worse too (or better, heh!)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

foxinsox wrote: »

Although sometimes I have got a few things, but more often than not the "organised gang" seem to get them all.

Actually I'm living up in Cavan at the moment. Don't think I'd be as skilled as the locals getting a bargain. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I've had things from there that I wouldn't ordinarily try because they were poor value. For example, a Calzone is basically a folded pizza, so I'm not going to pay a premium for it. It only makes sense to me at a steep discount.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Speaking of bakers most bakeries have a "next day" bread section with some very acceptable rolls and buns, makes for a good lunch sammich. Also that 59 cent mozarella in Dunnes makes most things taste good, I've a hard time stretching it past one meal though.

The basics are so cheap that a person can easily live on €20-€30 a week I would say. Big bag of spuds for a fiver will last two weeks, two chickens for €6, oatmeal costs almost nothing and is lovely with sunflower seeds, raisins and honey, you'd have to work pretty hard to starve in this country. A bit of imagination in the kitchen goes a long way of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

Now that I actually think of it, my relatives live beside a tiny village in kildare, the local shop, in the evening give away the left over stock from the day, it's not always to the same person to be fair, but my family would get breads from them, perfectly fine, homemade not Brennans... But it's just chance if your there and buying something they will give away the stuff..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

There's no shame in being frugal.

Being wasteful is what's shameful imho.

Good to see people buying that stuff, the amount of food that goes in the bin in supermarkets is horrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

That sounds like a laugh, what time of the day does this happen, and is it ok to watch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭angry kitten

They've been around for years. I remember working in Tesco in the UK in the 90's and all the best discounted stuff was sent to the staff area. My God but there were some serious rows over stuff. Everything was brought down at a certain time and it was hilarious watching people trying to skive off to get the best stuff first.
    I don't know why Dunnes insist on putting reduced price food that should be in a fridge in with the rest of the discounted food in the veggie area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I use it all the time. Some brilliant bargains if you can freeze the stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

They've been around for years. I remember working in Tesco in the UK in the 90's and all the best discounted stuff was sent to the staff area. My God but there were some serious rows over stuff. Everything was brought down at a certain time and it was hilarious watching people trying to skive off to get the best stuff first.
    I don't know why Dunnes insist on putting reduced price food that should be in a fridge in with the rest of the discounted food in the veggie area.

I worked in Dunnes for a while and I think space was the main issue there.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭dasa29

Mackg you are right in regards the way dunnes do it as i noticed in the run up to christmas they moved all the reduced stuff to a different fridge and filled that space with hams, once christmas was over they moved them back.

Was in my local tesco earlier and i got some lamb loin chops that were marked 60c plus i got two hodgins 454g packs of pork sausages for 28c each.

the chops are dated 05:03:2012 while the sausages are dated 04:03:2012. the chops were great for dinner and the sausages are now in the freezer:D for use during march.

• Advertisement

Done it myself about 20 years or so ago, just bought a house and there was little left over after the bills, the local supermarket would start "pricing down" at about 7pm.

There were always quite a few others with the same idea, following the staff around the shop, seeing what was being reduced and getting it first!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭tempura

If you have nothing to do on a Saturday night, get yourself to a 24 hour Tesco at about 9pm. That is when most of the good stuff gets put on the recession shelf. Just put it all in the freezer when you get home and you'll be eating like a king for a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

I are an aristycrat.

There was always peasants in Lidl :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Great bargains in Tesco, salmon fillets (2) for 20c, got 4 and froze them, we are still alive! Lovely lamb cutlets too for half price, nothing wrong with them. Eat same day or sling straight into freezer.

As long as it doesn’t smack you in the mouth when you open the packet, it's fine.

If it's borderline, well, that's what curry powder was invented for. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

How have I not seen these fridges?
    Anyone know where abouts they are in bray or ballybrack tesco?
    And what time they're filled at?

I want cheap steak!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Thought this thread was going to be about alcohol :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I are an aristycrat.

:D And there have venison and springbok as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭johnner1

eth0 wrote: »
    I used to get stuff from there until one day I got yoghurts that had mould on them already - opened one when I got home

Probably depends on which tesco you go to but the one here often has stuff in it that's already too far gone off for my liking
    They must have been live yoghurts you bought:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

Freaky timing with this thread.
    I was working today so no canteen on Sunday.
    Kids are sick so didn't have time to make a lunch.
    Tesco Mallow at about 07:30, bargain shelf.
    A lovely chicken salad best before tomorrow for a euro, an even nicer pasta with pesto and pinenuts for 1.09 best before today.
    Lunch and a bit left over that I had with my supper tonight, pine nuts tasted a bit gack, that acid type taste and killed my taste buds for a bit, possibly a good thing.
    Will be browsing there again. Less than the cost of a manky sandwich from the local garage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

go shopping close to mignight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Just go round at 7 every day and eat what you want off the shelves,now thats recession for you.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

My lil bro used to work in Tesco and was giving the awesome responsibility of the yellow reduced pricing gun. Whenever my parents were in there he'd price loads of their stuff real cheap, hop on a till and give them a full trolley of food for about €30. Nice. Bringing down the Tesco corporation from the inside. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

A lot of the stuff is weird that I wouldn't eat for free. Like today there were pork meatballs in sauce that were originally on sale for €4.99 reduced to 50c.
    3 day old egg mayo ready-made sandwiches for 32c, down from €2.99. No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

It's shocking what you can buy in supermarkets these days.

If the Recession fridge is empty, then it's only one step away to the skip! :pac:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Dumpster-Dive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I commend you. And I condemn the people who buy food and then throw it away without eating it. Anyone doing that cannot be suffering from the recession.

http://www.stopfoodwaste.ie/index.php?id=59&menu=
    1. How much waste do we produce in Ireland each year?
    The average waste generated by each Irish person is about 280 kilos each year. This is the same weight as 280 kilo bags of sugar, or three well fed sportsmen. This 280 kilos of waste is made up of organics (mainly food), recyclables (plastics, cardboard, paper, metals and glass) and general wastes.

280 kilos = 280 kilo bags of sugar? Well, I'll be darnded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

lividduck wrote: »
    Have you tried Swans?:D

i prefer fresh phoenix park venison myself ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

i prefer fresh phoenix park venison myself ;)

Is that a euphemism for "rent boys"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

Is that a euphemism for "rent boys"?

I think you're thinking of youth in jism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The last time I walked past it it was stuffed full, usually the only thing that's left there on any given day I'm shopping is battered old cartons and boxes that I wouldn't even look at. But this particular day, everything was reduced to 5c, including double packs of Kievs, Microwave Meals - stuff that could be frozen, and I have tons of freezer space. Ending up getting about 12 meals worth for 50c.

• Advertisement
Advertisement