Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's that Cake?

Options
  • 04-03-2012 9:30pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey, no idea where I could ask this - this looks like the right spot.

I'm trying to buy a cake, but have no idea how it is called. It's soft and fluffy, has lots of cream in the middle. Usually have chocolate sprinkles all around the outside and little pieces of mandarin oranges in the cake. People think I'm nuts and that this does not exist but I remember it from my childhood!

All these fancy pants cakes these days look great, but don't taste as good as that cake.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

dory wrote: »
    Hey, no idea where I could ask this - this looks like the right spot.

I'm trying to buy a cake, but have no idea how it is called. It's soft and fluffy, has lots of cream in the middle. Usually have chocolate sprinkles all around the outside and little pieces of mandarin oranges in the cake. People think I'm nuts and that this does not exist but I remember it from my childhood!

All these fancy pants cakes these days look great, but don't taste as good as that cake.

Thanks!

I've definitely eaten something similar in my life. Id say the bakery in Super valu would have something like that for sale.

My guess is that it is just a sponge caked filled with cream and mandarin pieces. The chocolate sprinkles on the outside is a common way of decorating sponge cakes.

Tasty stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

That's just a standard bakery cake, probably orange flavour or something, go into any older style bakery and you'll see tons of cakes like that. The very soft and fluffy cakes are always bulk bakery cakes as they use cake mixes which are much lighter due to not using real butter, it's definitely one of their standard cakes you're looking for.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'd agree with the others, or else it could be a swiss roll type. I've definitely gotten them from the bakery in Super Value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

Mandarin Gateaux, saw them today in Super Valu as I was walking through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

phormium wrote: »
    Mandarin Gateaux, saw them today in Super Valu as I was walking through.

Something tells me I might find myself in Supervalu tomorrow....would love a slice now :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement