Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meaning of legal terms

• 04-03-2012 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey guys,

Currently applying for a Canadian visa. The application is asking me to certify my documents from the following:

a judge
    a magistrate
    a notary public
    an officer of a court of justice
    a commissioner authorized to administer oaths in Ireland

I don't really understand what exactly these terms mean.

So my questions:

1) Who are these people (in layman terms) and where can I find them?

2) which is the cheapest and easiest option?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Hey guys,

Currently applying for a Canadian visa. The application is asking me to certify my documents from the following:

a judge
    a magistrate
    a notary public
    an officer of a court of justice
    a commissioner authorized to administer oaths in Ireland

I don't really understand what exactly these terms mean.

So my questions:

1) Who are these people (in layman terms) and where can I find them?

2) which is the cheapest and easiest option?

A Judge (sometimes called a magistrate but not really anymore in Ireland) is the guy who sits at the top of the court wearing a wig and sometimes sends people to jail.

In relation to the other three, to make matters simple for you speak to a solicitor who will usually certify documents for you for €10 per document.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

>a commissioner authorized to administer oaths in Ireland
    a.k.a. Commissioner for Oaths
    Charges Euro 10 per signature
    to find one google "commissioner for oaths" AND COUNTY-NAME
    and you're sorted!

>a notary public
    like a Commissioner for Oaths but will charge Euro 30-40 or more
    in practice a Notary is only needed when a document is being sent to a non English speaking country, e.g. the UAE, or South Korea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭blueythebear

vector wrote: »
    >a commissioner authorized to administer oaths in Ireland
    a.k.a. Commissioner for Oaths
    Charges Euro 10 per signature
    to find one google "commissioner for oaths" AND COUNTY-NAME
    and you're sorted!

>a notary public
    like a Commissioner for Oaths but will charge Euro 30-40 or more
    in practice a Notary is only needed when a document is being sent to a non English speaking country, e.g. the UAE, or South Korea

All practising solicitors are Commissioners for Oaths as per S72 Solicitors Amendment Act 1994, so they're pretty easy to find! Notary Publics are more scarce and difficult to find!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Hopefully, 7 months later, the OP has found someone to certify his documents.

Advertisement