Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sewage plant

Options
  • 04-03-2012 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

My fiance and I are currently in the middle of planning to build our house on a site owned by my parents. Were concerned that a sewerage treatment plant for the town is going to be built within half a mile to the site. We are now unsure whether to proceed or look at buying a house. Could anyone advice us? does anyone live near one of the newer plants and is there a smell? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Man007

Yeah there's a smell of ****

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

What way does the prevailing wind blow?

It could be perfectly fine, and you have no impact, or it could be that the wind blows the smell your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Part of it would depend on how big a town. That needs to take into account industry as well as population.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Man007

Victor wrote: »
    Part of it would depend on how big a town. That needs to take into account industry as well as population.

It also depends if there's many Chinese takeaways or Mexican restaurants in the town if there is the smell would be a lot worse

• Registered Users Posts: 23,520 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Honestly it depends on the type plant. They upgraded the one near us. Much larger capacity but installed good scrubbers and are recycling the gas to create electricity . You wouldn't know its there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 muinteoir

Thanks for your comments. I'm not sure what exact type of plant it is except that its a wastewater treatment plant and I think it would be wind coming from the east. Its really hard to get information about it. Its in Arklow in Co. Wicklow. At the moment there is no plant for Arklow or the surrounding villages & areas like Avoca etc. The population of Arklow is over 14000 so it will have to be a big enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I lived half mile from one in Sutton for 7 years. Never even a HINT of a smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 muinteoir

Oh that's great, thanks! I am hearing such conflicting things from people that I ask so its great to hear from people who live or lived near to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Man007 wrote: »
    It also depends if there's many Chinese takeaways or Mexican restaurants in the town if there is the smell would be a lot worse
    Can we keep it constructive?

3DataModem wrote: »
    I lived half mile from one in Sutton for 7 years. Never even a HINT of a smell.
    Isn't Sutton only a pumping station?
    muinteoir wrote: »
    Thanks for your comments. I'm not sure what exact type of plant it is except that its a wastewater treatment plant and I think it would be wind coming from the east. Its really hard to get information about it. Its in Arklow in Co. Wicklow. At the moment there is no plant for Arklow or the surrounding villages & areas like Avoca etc. The population of Arklow is over 14000 so it will have to be a big enough.
    Prevailing winds in Ireland are from the south west to the north east, although that varies based on location, e.g. on-shore breezes during summer and off-shore during winter.

Advertisement