Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

single PS/2 port

Options
  • 04-03-2012 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭

Why are manufactures still including a single PS/2 port that can be used for either a keyboard or mouse on their motherboards?

Is there that many people still using PS2 keyboards & mice?

They have started to get rid of IDE connectors & PCI slots so why keep the PS2 port?

MorK.jpg

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

My MB has no PS2 ports. I could have done with one when I built it. My keyboard wasn't automatically recognized so i had to install windows and set up my internet connection using the on screen keyboard before i could download the drivers. Having a PS2 port would have made things a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Neilos wrote: »
    My MB has no PS2 ports. I could have done with one when I built it. My keyboard wasn't automatically recognized so i had to install windows and set up my internet connection using the on screen keyboard before i could download the drivers. Having a PS2 port would have made things a lot easier.

I've had issue too where a USB keyboard wasn't picked-up initially on a new build and resorted to using an old PS2 keyboard to do the OS install. Maybe that is one of the reasons Neilos?

That picture in my original post is of a MSI Z77A-GD65 'Ivy Bridge' Motherboard.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

I actually got up into the attic, dug out an old PS2 keyboard (took me about 15 mins to find it), came back down and discovered no PS2 port. I was extremely pizzed off! I just took it for granted that the board would have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

We've quite a lot of keyboards which are still PS/2 in the office.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

PS/2 keyboards are a lot better than USB ones. They support full NKRO, aren't polled but instead are interrupt based, and can't be delayed by other devices.

• Advertisement
Advertisement