Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New National Anthem needed.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

The song existed before the 1920s but the official anthem is in Irish only and has no words in English. Officially they are two different songs

Seems to be a lot of confusion about when exactly the anthem became the anthem, and what was made the anthem etc. In 'The Story of the National Anthem' Ruth Sherry wrote :
    "There is little evidence of any
    widespread use of an Irish language
    text in the 1920s. The anthem was
    however being sung in Irish at GAA
    events as early as 1931 and also in
    1932."

Was there an official change of policy that specifically adopted the Irish version? Because that article only mentions the 'The Soldier's Song' was adopted by the executive council in 1926, and that it has no constitutional basis. All a bit confusing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

RachaelVO wrote: »
    Ehhhh you couldn't be more wrong... Ireland Call is what it is, its the anthem of rugby that is all inclusive of both north and south, you can't just dismiss it cos it doesnt suit ya... it is for want of a better description, "politically correct", but it has its place and that cannot be just ignored just because you don't like it!

How do you mean "couldn't be more wrong"? It's absolute shít, sounds more like a nursery rhyme than a national anthem. It actually pains me that that bollocks is sung instead of Amhrán na bhFiann at away rugby games.
    Ricardo G wrote: »
    Irelands Call is a great anthem imo, far better than the national anthem. Makes me feel a lot more patriotic when i hear it

Makes me feel like we have the most feminine rugby team in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

baz2009 wrote: »
    sounds more like a nursery rhyme than a national anthem.

Is it a national anthem? I thought it was just a song for the rugby team since Ireland Rugby Team is not a national team it represents two countries..

That been the reason, I think it may not be liked by some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

RachaelVO wrote: »
    In English

We'll sing song, a soldier's song,
    With cheering rousing chorus,
    As round our blazing fires we throng,
    The starry heavens o'er us;
    Impatient for the coming fight,
    And as we wait the morning's light,
    Here in the silence of the night,
    We'll chant a soldier's song.

Can't help but read this with the melody of All Things Bright and Beautiful in my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Don't mind the national anthem but I cannot ****ing stand Ireland's Call. Pure ****e, no passion in it, and it's like an audio cue to go to the fridge for more beer before the match starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned already...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

How about this with the words changed and a bit more melodious?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

I could... keep sticking it to you nationalistic loons

Ditch Irish nationalist ideas about Ireland and embrace British nationalist ideas about it. What a rebel. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

TheZohanS wrote: »
    Drop Tommy Bowe????!!!!

Monaghan isn't he?

The "good" Ulster :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Probably no need to change it but its definitely a bit flat as anthems go to be honest.
    Noticeable that no Irish sporting crowd ever breaks into a spontaneous rendition of Amhrann na bhFiann. We sing along at the official time during the preliminaries, but thats it, forgotten about til the next match.
    It was especially noticeable in the Stade de France on Sunday, with 60000 people continually belting out La Marsellaise throughout the game.

Exactly... tbf they can shove irelands call where the sun dosent shine.... when sung correctly by a crowd the only thing that possibley beats it is flower of scotland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Is it a national anthem? I thought it was just a song for the rugby team since Ireland Rugby Team is not a national team it represents two countries..

That been the reason, I think it may not be liked by some people.

Whatever it is it's a pile of bollocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Red Alert wrote: »
    What's your problem with our current one?

It mentions the words Fianna Fail. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Irelands Call is a rousing anthem that everyone can sing, Unionist, Nationalist, and everybody else in Ireland, without fear of upsetting one tribe or the other, and it is for this reason that Irelands Call is sung with gusto & passion by all shades at international Rugby matches, its also in English, a language we all understand and speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

LordSutch wrote: »
    Irelands Call is a rousing anthem that everyone can sing, Unionist, Nationalist, and everybody else in Ireland, without fear of upsetting one tribe or the other, and it is for this reason that Irelands Call is sung with gusto & passion by all shades at international Rugby matches, its also in English, a language we all understand and speak.
    English is not our language though, Irish is. Is it that difficult to learn one song in Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I dunno, I'm starting to get well into that Tamil Bollywood stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

Am i the only one that constantly thinks of when Michael Schumacher ruled F1,everytime the German national anthem is played?

Anyways i love the Irish national anthem.There's nothing wrong with it and is 100 times better than that Irelands Call crap.

Although my favourite anthem is the French one.It's just class and i really don't know why

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Superbus wrote: »
    Two Father Ted references and neither of them 'Ghost Town'. Not impressed.

So let me just thank you all now for coming along and ask you to stand for our national anthem...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

I’m sick to death of Irish people bashing Irelands call. I’ve said this before but I remember a time going to away games where the home teams anthem was played and then the game started with nothing played for the Irish team or supporters and believe me Irelands call is a vast improvement on this. Even the psychological impact of having nothing played for your country or sung by your fans while the national anthem of your opposition has just been sung by every one of theirs is a huge thing. The song itself is not bad at all and in reality the only time I ever hear anyone outside of Ireland comment on it was to say how much they liked it. I know of one team in South Africa with no Irish connection that uses the song themselves.
    As to the actual Irish national anthem it is stupid to suggest that it should be changed. It is actually a very good anthem compared with most. In my opinion the best national anthems are ones that sound good with no musical accompaniment are rousing and passionate. I like the fact that it is sung in Irish and I love the fact it comes to a crescendo at the end. If anyone was at the first Ireland v’s England rugby game in Croke park or even saw it on TV and first heard the English anthem sung and then the Irish I don’t think you could ever want it changed.
    It’s very easy to say something is crap and we should change it but not one person who has said that so far in this tread has suggested a viable alternative for either the anthem or Irelands call.

Rud wrote: »
    Although my favourite anthem is the French one.It's just class and i really don't know why

Don't forget the Italian national anthem, another great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Traonach wrote: »
    English is not our language though, Irish is.

I think you'll find that in prcatice English is our national spoken language, even the Irish anthem itself was composed in English, then translated into Irish.
    Traonach wrote: »
    Is it that difficult to learn one song in Irish.

I think its fair to say that many Irish people can't even get past the first couple of sentences in Irish before breaking into mumble mode, and anyway the current anthem just isnt embraced by all, and its probably hated by some. Time for a new anthem, 'Ireland's call' fits the bill for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭mikeyboy

If we were to change the National Anthem then surely it should be something that suggests the history of the country and who got us where we are today. With that in mind might I suggest a remixed version of Sandi Thom's "Merchants and Thieves"?
    Originally Posted by LordSutch
    I think its fair to say that many Irish people can't even get past the first couple of sentinces in Irish before breaking into mumble mode

Isn't that true of lots of anthems though? So perhaps we should try adapting this. Listen to the second verse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

tempura wrote: »
    I think this would make a good one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE8Ngk_Yrus

No it wouldn't, **** off Bob.

and anyway the current anthem just isnt embraced by all, and its probably hated by some. Time for a new anthem I think, and I think 'Ireland's call' fits the bill.

No point in making that change as the exact same can be said for 'Ireland's Call', not embraced by all and definitely hated by some.

Perhaps the day when/if there is a unified 32 county Irish state, then a new national anthem can be commissioned to include and celebrate a new era for the country which can be embraced by all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I think you'll find that in prcatice English is our national spoken language, even the Irish anthem itself was composed in English, then translated into Irish.

I think its fair to say that many Irish people can't even get past the first couple of sentences in Irish before breaking into mumble mode, and anyway the current anthem just isnt embraced by all, and its probably hated by some. Time for a new anthem, 'Ireland's call' fits the bill for me.

Quelle suprise.

Cad a iontas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Hardly Phil Coulter finest work, lyrics are lame and the music worse.

This one is currently free

Or this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

A national anthem should be unique to that country. There's nothing unique about using a different nations language. Like it or not Irish is the official first language of this country and it should be used in the national anthem.
    The only reasons why somebody couldn't learn the Irish national anthem is either there borderline retarded or just too fúckin' lazy......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

"Go sábhála Dia an bhanríon."

Advertisement