Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

regional work

Options
  • 04-03-2012 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Myself and the missus and another couple are heading over to perth the beginning of april, im a carpenter and my girlfriendis an accountant, the other guy is a plumber and his missus is in retail.If all goes well,we hope to stay for the second year. The question is, should we go and do our regency work first and come back and settle in perth with the intentions of taking out a lease etc etc or stay around perth in hostels etc for a few months before doing our regency work???? :confused:
    Any suggestionson good areas for regency work around perth?I've heard bumbury is a good area for work etc???

Any info or advice would be greatly appriciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

You mean regional work so you can apply for a second year?

From you thread title I thought you wanted to work in a hotel called the Regent.

Yes do the regional work first

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Nick Diamond

Defo do it first, early as possible - takes the stress out've it at a later date..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I was thinking the same, sweat it out for 3 months and then the second year visa is granted, that would be nice. Is it hard to get regional work lets say around May in WA?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Personally id head up to the NT. Dry session starts to kickin in another month or 2. All the construction work kicks off again, just beat the avalanche of back packers the weather brings.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭andyh85

thanks for the info, lookin foward to gettin over their but dont want to get settled in before having to uproot to do the regency work, what sort of work is their in the northern territory? is it just wineries and farms or would their be construction work up their too??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

andyh85 wrote: »
    thanks for the info, lookin foward to gettin over their but dont want to get settled in before having to uproot to do the regency work, what sort of work is their in the northern territory? is it just wineries and farms or would their be construction work up their too??

Regency = hotel in perth
    Regional = place outside city in australia

It depends what you want to do. Northern territory would probably be good for construction work. Your missus is an accountant so don't think construction work would be her first choice. Grapes wouldn't grow very well in NT so there probably aren't very many wineries. I've never heard of anyone going fruit picking there at all. Its more or less a huge desert. There may be some farmwork on the cattle stations there. If you go south of perth you may have a good chance of getting some fruit picking work depending on what fruits are in season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

All sorts of construction. With the dry session comes the building work. Maybe ur miss's should look into traffic controll. I know a load of irish girls who have done it up there. Moneys not to bad either.

Advertisement