Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealing with a "GET YOUR DOG AWAY FROM MY CHILD!" *Read post #117*

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

They are in a back garden, the children and the dogs are playing, there is no intention to hurt. That is an accident and the supervision of both dogs and children could be called to account. No nastiness here at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Any news from the OP - have you bumped into this woman again?

Fuelled on by this thread bumped into somebody I don't particularly like yesterday (they're a crap owner and their dog cost me €170 in vet bills for my guy) - normally I'd take a detour or avoid them but yesterday I decided NO - I have a right to walk here as well so had my guy focus on me with a treat as they passed - the other muppet dog lunging at my guy the whole time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

tk123 wrote: »
    Any news from the OP - have you bumped into this woman again?

Fuelled on by this thread bumped into somebody I don't particularly like yesterday (they're a crap owner and their dog cost me €170 in vet bills for my guy) - normally I'd take a detour or avoid them but yesterday I decided NO - I have a right to walk here as well so had my guy focus on me with a treat as they passed - the other muppet dog lunging at my guy the whole time.

No contact last few days but per advices here I see no advantage in confrontation. I'll look after my own kids & dog; I won't be forced off the footpath, will keep to myself. And thanks again to all posters for the info and advice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

barbiegirl wrote: »
    They are in a back garden, the children and the dogs are playing, there is no intention to hurt. That is an accident and the supervision of both dogs and children could be called to account. No nastiness here at all.

No but point made.

Rarely there is any nastiness with dogs. Dogs are not capable of being nasty. Vicious maybe but that's down mostly to how they are raised. Dogs are for the most part wonderful animals but they get carried away with the moment. Oblivious to anything else around them. If this child was walking in a park and this happened. What then?

I can't imagine "No nastiness" would wash with the parents in that instance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Injury doesn't have to involve nastiness or viciousness. My neighbours were playing with their children, on the beach. My dogs were on a lead. My youngster was play barking because he wanted their ball & my neighbour said "Let him off". He then crouched down & called the dog.

The little fella hurtled across the beach, jumped & hit my neighbour where it hurts. It hurt so much that he was rolling on the sand groaning with his wife & kids in stitches. He could of easily knocked a child over & it would of been ok because they understand that he is playing but I would not of let him off lead if anyone else had been on the beach.

Excited, friendly, young dogs can jump up unexpectedly & it can be misinterpreted. My Greyhound hadn't done it for about a year but she nearly gave a friend a black eye last week. Especially outside a school, where there are loads of distractions it is easy for any dog owner to not notice something that happens with their dog.

Dogs & children are both integral parts of society. Both should be taught how to interact with each other. If the OP's dog is always well behaved then the majority will see that the complainant is wrong.

How about setting up an after hours dog training class, with a local trainer, for the parents & children ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Thread closed by request.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement