Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortising

Options
  • 05-03-2012 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

Any one in the Midlands that could mortise 4 legs for me for a woodworking bench?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

woodturner wrote: »
    Any one in the Midlands that could mortise 4 legs for me for a woodworking bench?

What size mortice do you require?

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

15mm in width and 130mm and 60mm long.

15mm in width and 130mm and 60mm long.

Where are you based?

Near Tullamore.

Near Tullamore.

I'd do it for you but I'm based near roscommon. Would your local joinery do it for you?

• Advertisement

Don't know. I might just use my pillar drill and drill them out and tidy them up with a chisel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

Don't know. I might just use my pillar drill and drill them out and tidy them up with a chisel.

You know... I was going to suggest that you might try this yourself, but then thinking you may not have the tools or the skills..... but now I read you have a pillar drill and chisels and a clear know how, think maybe you could have the lot done in the time you spent on the internet trying to farm it out???????????????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 49 zebrano.96

have u access to a good router .drill hole to start and plunge down with a side fence work from both sides if its deep .this would work.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

earpiece wrote: »
    You know... I was going to suggest that you might try this yourself, but then thinking you may not have the tools or the skills..... but now I read you have a pillar drill and chisels and a clear know how, think maybe you could have the lot done in the time you spent on the internet trying to farm it out???????????????????????
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Seeing as you have the pillar drill, get one of these and a suitable chisel bit.

• Advertisement

earpiece wrote: »

There are a good few mortises to cut and I just wanted to lighten the load.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Drilling out the bulk of the waste with a good bit, and cleaning up the remainder with a well sharpened chisel or two, is not only faster than you would expect, it's also quite pleasant and satisfying work.
    I have yet to see a mortice cut with a morticing machine which hasn't needed tidying with a chisel (in high end work, that is).
    :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Try Willie, you muppet:D

I,d do it for you but my morticer is out of action at the moment.

kadman

kadman wrote: »
    Try Willie, you muppet:D

I,d do it for you but my morticer is out of action at the moment.

kadman

God he'd keep me there for ages chatting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I usually use a 15 mm mortice bit as standard, but i'm probably too far away from you, although my wife is from near you...;)

Advertisement