Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spiritual teachers, who are yours?

Options
  • 05-03-2012 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

There's thousands of spiritual teachers out there. Where does one begin to look? Who would you recommend and why? Also if you could suggest a particular book or piece of work that would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭gillad

anthony de mello is very easy to understand and listen to.
    http://awareness.tk/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Joseph Ratzinger :I enjoyed reading his book, Jesus of Nazareth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

John Moriarty is good to listen to,I have his box set,Anthony De Mello is good, stay away from the Bible thumpers they will only suggest you only read one book.

If you want some gentle reading Louise L Hay is a good start.

12 step Daily Reflection books are good too for people getting over rock bottom or co-dependent relationships,addictions etc.....

Sufism is good too as there is a lot of wisdom in Sufism which we here in the west don't hear much about..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

http://www.amazon.com/Smile-Your-Heart-Meditations-Practices/dp/1569758158/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1331067461&sr=1-1

Heres a nice book by Irmansyah Effendi,Beautiful meditations from the Heart just finished a retreat in Jakarta with Him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

There is a lot of good stuff to listen to on youtube.

Anthony DeMello
    Eckhart Tolle
    Abraham Hicks
    Osho
    Wayne Dyer

Loads more....seek and you will find

As for books Byron Katies Book A thousand names for joy is absolutely beautiful and based the Tao Te Ching. The power of now by Eckhart Tolle. Wayne Dyers books are good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

Manach wrote: »
    Joseph Ratzinger :I enjoyed reading his book, Jesus of Nazareth.

It's a shame that he is subjected to such ridicule and abuse on internet fora such as these because he holds the position of pope, because I have read a few of his books recently and realised he is a hell of a philosopher and intellectual. In debate, his exchange with atheist philosopher Jurgen Habermas in a book called The Dialectics Of Secularisation is very good.

The first Jesus Of Nazareth book I picked up for next to nothing on Amazon, but haven't read it yet, although reviews are good.

Personally, I found some Buddhist philosophers very interesting, and also Chinese philosopher Lin Yutang's book The Importance Of Living.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Corkgirl210

James Redfield - celestine prophecy.. great book for starting out your journey..

Neale Donald Walsche - books channelled from god
    Diana Cooper - 2012 ascencion etc.
    Edgcar Cayce - best known psychic - past life and future lives detailing lifes secrets
    Marianne Williamson - spiritual journey back to love
    Barbara Marx Hubbard - delves more indepth into micro and macro
    Delores Cannon - past life and future lives detailing lifes secrets - ascension
    Dan Millman - pathways to enlightenment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 outabout

Krishnamurti & David Bohm The Future of Humanity. their dialogue strikes at the heart of issues. A classic series of videos

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Kenneth Wapnick interprets "A course in Miracles" in a way that will be valid for a hundred years.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Must say that "Edgar Cayce" made it all meaningful to me when I first began my search, his book "There is a River" was and is so powerful.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

Barbara Marcinak has some excellent books

Bringers of the Dawn, Earth & Path to Empowerment are three of the best books I have ever read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

Tolle
    De Mello
    Krishnamurti
    It's funny how Tolle always seems to be nodding his head in agreement while Krishnamurti always seems to be shaking his head saying "no Sir", but for me they both seem to say the same thing.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

i say listen to as many of them as you possibly can so as to get as many perspectives as possible

in my opinion if you follow and accept only one teaching there is a danger of becoming a fundamentalist

i find that i absorb the bits that resonate with me from anything i listen to or read, without any effort!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Joni23

Thanks for all the suggestions. Many of them I have come across and others ill have to research. May I throw my own hat in the ring and add Ken Wilber, anyone associated with his integral life community is usually pretty good. I recognise many of the suggestions are contributors on there.

Advertisement