Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eSecurity

Options
  • 05-03-2012 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭

Hi,

For the past 4 or 5 years, I have constantly been getting emails from "do_not_reply@eircom.net", thanking me for signing up to Eircom eSecurity and asking me to reconfirm my email address. Is this spam email? I have never been a customer of Eircom, and I haven't even lived in Ireland for 5 years. Friends with Eircom email addresses have contacted me but that's my only connection to Eircom.

The email reads like Spam. Sending an email address to someone, and then asking them to confirm their email address just seems bizarre. I've pasted what I can below. I have tried to contact Eircom before about this but didn't get a reply.

I'm not sure how often it arrives at present, but in the past, before I created a rule to mark it as junk, I was getting it every week. Now, as my spam folder is set to empty automatically I can't say how often it's happening. I just came across it again this evening when looking for something in my spam folder, and was surprised to see that, 5 years later, it is still being delivered to me.

Can you advise if this is an official Eircom email? I think it is, because the link brings me to an Eircom site. And, if it is officially Eircom, why am I being sent this? I'm happy to give whatever details regarding the message header that you require.
    Thank you for signing up to eircom eSecurity powered by Norton Internet Security, one of the leading providers of PC protection software in the world.

We hope that you enjoy using your new security service which provides simple-to-use internet protection for your computer. However, you must confirm your e-mail address in order to start using the service!
    Just click on the button below to re-enter your details

Regards
    eircom eSecurity team

Use of the eSecurity service is subject to terms and conditions which are available here, and use is deemed to be acceptance of these terms and conditions.

eircom Limited. Registered in Dublin. Registration Number 98789.
    Registered Office 1 HSQ, St Johns Road, Dublin 8.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

SoulTrader wrote: »
    Hi,

For the past 4 or 5 years, I have constantly been getting emails from "do_not_reply@eircom.net", thanking me for signing up to Eircom eSecurity and asking me to reconfirm my email address. Is this spam email? I have never been a customer of Eircom, and I haven't even lived in Ireland for 5 years. Friends with Eircom email addresses have contacted me but that's my only connection to Eircom.

The email reads like Spam. Sending an email address to someone, and then asking them to confirm their email address just seems bizarre. I've pasted what I can below. I have tried to contact Eircom before about this but didn't get a reply.

I'm not sure how often it arrives at present, but in the past, before I created a rule to mark it as junk, I was getting it every week. Now, as my spam folder is set to empty automatically I can't say how often it's happening. I just came across it again this evening when looking for something in my spam folder, and was surprised to see that, 5 years later, it is still being delivered to me.

Can you advise if this is an official Eircom email? I think it is, because the link brings me to an Eircom site. And, if it is officially Eircom, why am I being sent this? I'm happy to give whatever details regarding the message header that you require.

i would not click on the link anyway. i hope its not a scam. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Hi,

Hi SoulTrader,

Thanks for posting on the eircom Forum on Boards.ie

Can you PM the email you have received from e-Security, if possible, for further investigation. It does sound legitimate, though I have checked this with e-Security Technical Support and it could be spam. I appreciate that you are not an eircom customer and you should not have received an email from eircom in this respect.

Appreciate also if you could provide me with your home telephone number and email address. If necessary I can check if this relates to a marketing data base, and have your details removed. If you are on another 'national' database, belonging to your own provider or some other service, you may need to contact them if you need to remove your details from their database.

Officially:
    eircom disclaimer
    eircom will NEVER send an unsolicited e-mail asking for your password or any of your account details. If you receive an e-mail asking for any of your account details, please DO NOT ENTER ANY DETAILS and delete it immediately!

Best regards,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

Thanks Ant for the reply, I sent you a PM with the details.

Hi,

Just to let you know - one year later, I am still receiving these emails from Eircom, despite never having been an Eircom customer. At the time I opened this thread, I was told to phone Eircom but they wouldn't speak to me without an account number. As I don't have an account number I couldn't speak to anyone, and this morning I received the latest of these emails. Would appreciate if someone could switch them off and remove me from the database.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Hi,

Just to let you know - one year later, I am still receiving these emails from Eircom, despite never having been an Eircom customer. At the time I opened this thread, I was told to phone Eircom but they wouldn't speak to me without an account number. As I don't have an account number I couldn't speak to anyone, and this morning I received the latest of these emails. Would appreciate if someone could switch them off and remove me from the database.

Hi SoulTrader,

I have been looking at your previous case with us. I have verified the - do_not_reply@eircom.net is not an official eircom address.

It seems to be spam mail. I have advised broadband technical support. What is the body of text on the mail?

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your attention to my post.

The body text of the email is as follows:

"Thank you for signing up to eircom eSecurity powered by Norton Internet Security, one of the leading providers of PC protection software in the world.
    We hope that you enjoy using your new security service which provides simple-to-use internet protection for your computer. However, you must confirm your e-mail address in order to start using the service!

Regards
    eircom eSecurity team
    Use of the eSecurity service is subject to terms and conditions which are available here, and use is deemed to be acceptance of these terms and conditions.
    Registered Office 1 HSQ, St Johns Road, Dublin 8. "

The link that is embedded in the image (which I can't paste) takes me to the following address:

https://secure.eircom.net/esecurity/provisioning/reconfirm

Thanks

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your attention to my post.

The body text of the email is as follows:

"Thank you for signing up to eircom eSecurity powered by Norton Internet Security, one of the leading providers of PC protection software in the world.

Regards
    eircom eSecurity team
    Registered Office 1 HSQ, St Johns Road, Dublin 8. "

The link that is embedded in the image (which I can't paste) takes me to the following address:

https://secure.eircom.net/esecurity/provisioning/reconfirm

Thanks

Hi SoulTrader,

I can confirm that although the e-mail does outline the eircom e-mail protector and links to it correctly.

This is not an official e-mail from eircom.

eircom will NEVER send unsolicited e-mails asking for your password or any of your account details.

I have sent on this post with other examples to managers in mail support.

Thanks, Mark

Thanks for your help Mark.

No problem,

If you can delete as many of those mails as possible in the mean time.

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement