Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul McKenna: I Can Make You Smarter...

Options
  • 05-03-2012 1:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

Turns out he couldnt...

Anybody else read this.. I found it to be very simplistic and not very helpful.. I've read a few books on improving your memory and the like, and some have been extremely helpful.. For example, using the method in one of the memory books (I cant remember the name of it :pac:) I learned off the American Presidents and Best Picture Oscar Winners with relative ease... So I do believe in the self help/self improvement books at least to some degree.. But I was very disappointed in this one..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Turns out he couldnt...

Anybody else read this.. I found it to be very simplistic and not very helpful.. I've read a few books on improving your memory and the like, and some have been extremely helpful.. For example, using the method in one of the memory books (I cant remember the name of it :pac:) I learned off the American Presidents and Best Picture Oscar Winners with relative ease... So I do believe in the self help/self improvement books at least to some degree.. But I was very disappointed in this one..

Brilliant!
    I found the memory section in Derren Brown's book to be quite good too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Brilliant! I found the memory section in Derren Brown's book to be quite good too

Funny that EXACTLY the same one that I learned about the loci method... Tricks Of The Mind... very interesting read.. Another book that added to this was Jonathan Hancock's Memory Training... He goes in to further details about method for learning long lists of stuff, numbers etc etc..

But I found the Paul McKenna book to be like an Ann And Barry book after reading the two books above.. It good very good reviews on Amazon and other websites, I'm just wondering is there something I'm missing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Memory isn't so important. The ability to think critically and an innate natural curiosity are essential to what we deem being 'smart'.

Computers can process much faster than we can and they are a tremendous store of knowledge. Realistically 'memory' hasn't been a terribly important element to human intelligence since the discovery of writing, since anything that is truly important can always be looked up at a moments notice. People thinking outside the box and challenging the assumptions of their generation, thats how we invented the steam engine and figured out that we rotate around the sun.

Its in the interest of the self help hucksters to convince you that memorising trivial information somehow makes you intelligent, but the truth is very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭sxt

His next book may as well be called..

Paul McKenna : I can make you part with whatever amount of money it costs to buy my book...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Paul McKenna - Hand over the cash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Denerick wrote: »
    Its in the interest of the self help hucksters to convince you that memorising trivial information somehow makes you intelligent, but the truth is very different.

It doesn't make you more intelligent but it is very useful if you can remember your PIN numbers and where you left the car keys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Well the way I look at it, Paul McKenna has made me smarter... The next time I walk in to a book store I'll be smart enough not to buy any of his damned books.. :mad:

Advertisement