Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ladies A Question

• 05-03-2012 2:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭

Ladies of AH, I have a question for you.

I was wondering have you ever felt, say in your occupation or in general, marginalized by men? I'm not saying intentionally by men but do you feel it happens and have you ever felt you're included maybe because of men flirting with you? Or is your normal interaction with male friends or colleagues usually revolve around subtle flirting?

Have you ever felt your conduct or behaviour is appraised differently than to mens?

Are your opinions, sometimes flippantly, rejected out of hand by men?

And have you ever felt it was maybe because you were a woman? Or for another reason?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Nigga you gay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Nigga you gay

How eloquent, dear sir. I can see literary accolades in store for you in the near future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I am a strong independent black woman and I don't need no man! Mmm Hmmmm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Keno 92 wrote: »
    I am a strong independent black woman and I don't need no man! Mmm Hmmmm.
    Chandler? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Nigga you gay
    Nearly choked when I read that, brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Sindri wrote: »

No
    I was wondering have you ever felt, say in your occupation or in general, marginalized by men? I'm not saying intentionally by men but do you feel it happens and have you ever felt you're included maybe because of men flirting with you? Or is your normal interaction with male friends or colleagues usually revolve around subtle flirting?

No
    Have you ever felt your conduct or behaviour is appraised differently than to mens?
    No
    No
    And have you ever felt it was maybe because you were a woman? Or for another reason?
    No

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Yes, is the short answer. Started a college course last year and was the only girl.. At the beginning I had to be quite assertive and confident, but I earned their respect over time, eventually came out with some of the highest masks in the class.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Or is your normal interaction with male friends or colleagues usually revolve around subtle flirting?
    No. But I'm the manager, so it wouldn't be too appropriate!
    "It's obviously because I'm a woman, the b@stards!!" wouldn't generally be first thing I'd think if someone disagreed with me at work anyway. There's usually a reason to back up if an idea is rejected or disagreed with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

In my personal experience, marginalisation at work for me has been by women - that was just in one job. Otherwise, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Too many questions in one post- I'd answer if I had the time to write an essay.

• Advertisement

Nearly choked when I read that, brilliant

It's not brilliant. What uncouth oaf of a peasant are you?

There was absolutely no subtlety, it's only merit is that of shock and racial stereotyping.

I expected more from the illustrious dilettante that is Deux Es Machina, but I shouldn't have been surprised. If he couldn't come up with an original username then I probably have too high of an estimation of him. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Relax Sindri, this is AH. What did you think would happen?

Sauve wrote: »
    Relax Sindri, this is AH. What did you think would happen?

I was only messing. :)

It's because Deux Ex Machina is a writer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭SugarCoat

Dudess wrote: »
    In my personal experience, marginalisation at work for me has been by women - that was just in one job. Otherwise, no.
    agree 100% people seem to forget about the female misogynists :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

It's not brilliant. What uncouth oaf of a peasant are you?

There was absolutely no subtlety, it's only merit is that of shock and racial stereotyping.

I expected more from the illustrious dilettante that is Deux Es Machina, but I shouldn't have been surprised. If he couldn't come up with an original username then I probably have too high of an estimation of him. :)
    The unexpected can be hilarious.

Get a sense of humor for gods sake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

equally by both genders if I'm honest. I do have one male friend who does make life kind of miserable though but I'm convinced he's slightly mentally retarded at this point.

edit: I just realised it's actually because I wouldn't consider him an attractive man and I probably don't feed his ego enough for him to feel better about himself. he's one of those needy types. Grand so, nothing to see here.

I was just wondering because in the handbook given to all teachers on how to manage a class room it states that the teacher should allow the male students to dominate discussion, as in this is normal and the intended purpose I suppose is that it is more constructive and for the female students to contribute a bit passively and I was wondering if this continued on in later life.

Or if women ever felt this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Bullchomper

You will always have strong characters in groups, whether they are female or male is irrelevant. A dominant personality is not dependent on what they're packing.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭travelledpengy

I like lamp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Yes but it might also have been down to the fact that i am a bit of an asshole because no one understood my hilarious jokes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

I was just wondering because in the handbook given to all teachers on how to manage a class room it states that the teacher should allow the male students to dominate discussion, as in this is normal and the intended purpose I suppose is that it is more constructive and for the female students to contribute a bit passively and I was wondering if this continued on in later life.

Or if women ever felt this way.

what handbook is this?

The only time I've ever experienced it is things like clients donating rugby tickets and the girls not even being considered. However working in sales is pretty straightforward - if you're top of the sales board you are flavour of the month and vice versa. I've never experienced gender discrimination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Stop trying to intimidate peeple with your big wurds Sindri. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Why are you bored and why do you cry after sex?
    Do you think the ladies of AH can answer these questions?
    Maybe bedtime. . .

Stop trying to intimidate peeple with your big wurds Sindri. :pac:

But my upper body muscle mass is puny. :(

Did you see my reply to you yesterday where I said:
    Sindri wrote:
    WTF's with your face? Oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

That was funjy and you were proper owned.:P

policarp wrote: »
    Why are you bored and why do you cry after sex?
    Do you think the ladies of AH can answer these questions?
    Maybe bedtime. . .

Oi! I will kick you in the vajoina.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

in the handbook given to all teachers on how to manage a class room it states that the teacher should allow the male students to dominate discussion, as in this is normal and the intended purpose I suppose is that it is more constructive and for the female students to contribute a bit passively.

Where's the problem?

Why?
    I only mentioned what you posted earlier. . .

mickrock wrote: »
    Where's the problem?

It's not a problem.

I'm just pondering the differences between the sexes in social interaction, and in courtship, men tend to lead or dominate a conversation for example and I was wondering if women ever felt perturbed by this. Or do they notice the social dynamics and their role within, that may appear to be grossly normal, and ingrained.

Why?
    I only mentioned what you posted earlier. . .

They were taken out of context! I abjure!

Now where may I find the present location of your vajoina?

Is it....a landmark?:confused:

• Advertisement

It's not a problem.

I'm just pondering the differences between the sexes in social interaction, and in courtship, men tend to lead or dominate a conversation for example and I was wondering if women ever felt perturbed by this. Or do they notice the social dynamics and their role within, that may appear to be grossly normal, and ingrained.
    are you female?
    I'm sure there will be plenty of other women around at a reasonable hour to ponder your question. Doubt many of them give a feck though, most women I know like being dominated by men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

For real? :confused:

Babybuff wrote: »
    are you female?
    I'm sure there will be plenty of other women around at a reasonable hour to ponder your question. Doubt many of them give a feck though, most women I know like being dominated by men.

Possibly one of the points I'm trying to consider for intellectual stimulation. :)

Possibly one of the points I'm trying to consider for intellectual stimulation. :)
    I believe ya, millions wouldn't.
    Does it not fall under the category of the replication of the daddy figure theory myth thing?

You sure are borded. . .(sic). . .

I believe ya, millions wouldn't.
    Does it not fall under the category of the replication of the daddy figure theory myth thing?

No just pondering the workings of the female mind and their contribution towards social interaction between the sexes.

• Advertisement

You sure are borded. . .(sic). . .

Yeah, so what if I'm (sic)? I won't take the medication as it only makes things worse and it numbs me.

No just pondering the workings of the female mind and their contribution towards social interaction between the sexes.
    Not sure it would be wise to generalise but most straight women seek to be validated by men, the easiest way for them to do that is to give them what they want. Would you agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭NoHornJan

Where is the vajoina?

NoHornJan wrote: »
    Where is the vajoina?

It's a mysterious location out in the nether regions.

It is said once one enters it, one may never leave...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭VagnerLove

ahahaha the first reply was funny!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

It's a mysterious location out in the nether regions.

It is said once one enters it, one may never leave...:eek:

You're mixing it up with the Hotel California.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

It's not a problem.

men mostly dominate a conversation. Not in my house or social circle anyway. Pretty much equal. I don't think you can put any percentages or values on that anymore, OP, there is no such thing imo of vast differences in social dynamics and the role of women/men anymore. You choose where you fit in and how effective your role is. For example, with the issue of dominating a conversation; it'll only happen if you allow it to. It's not a case of anymore of a woman being the put up and shut up role anymore and not being the decisive figure in a household.

The only area where there are differences in dynamics is the law and workplace for women in terms of pay and possibly career progression in some countries in politics and business, men tend to be the higher majority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

Not sure it would be wise to generalise but most straight women seek to be validated by men, the easiest way for them to do that is to give them what they want. Would you agree?

Definately not wise :D I'm not throwing a feminist spanner into the works here. But does your reading list come from the early 1900's? No independent woman seeks to be validated by a man. I could easily throw it back that men seek to be validated by women too by the way they dress, speak, impress. People do seek validation on some points but there is no clear point that states a woman needs and seeks to be validated by men to feel whole.

What's your argument for that point anyway. why does a woman seek validation from men in your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Yes, is the short answer. Started a college course last year and was the only girl.. At the beginning I had to be quite assertive and confident, but I earned their respect over time, eventually came out with some of the highest masks in the class.

They let women in college now?

mconigol wrote: »

They let women in college now?

They do... Although not a lot of them apply for Computer Systems and Networking Technology apparently..

I don't think it was just because I was a girl, I'm 25 now, was 24 at the time, they were mostly 19/20/21.. I wasn't the only mature, but the only girl. Plus I was coming into the second year of it so they already had their cliques formed. they turned out to be really sweet though!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I would have thought mask-making would attract a more even demographic split.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

They do... Although not a lot of them apply for Computer Systems and Networking Technology apparently..

I don't think it was just because I was a girl, I'm 25 now, was 24 at the time, they were mostly 19/20/21.. I wasn't the only mature, but the only girl. Plus I was coming into the second year of it so they already had their cliques formed. they turned out to be really sweet though!

Could have saved yourself a whole lot of time by throwing on one of these

They would have treated you like a God from the beginning :cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

hondasam wrote: »
    No

No

No

No

No

:cool::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

What has one got to do with the other?

What does being popular or accepted by your classmates have anything to do with your grades?

(I'm assuming that was a typo and you meant marks)

I would have thought mask-making would attract a more even demographic split.
    Damnit, autocorrect!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement