Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ladies A Question

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

mconigol wrote: »
    They do... Although not a lot of them apply for Computer Systems and Networking Technology apparently..

I don't think it was just because I was a girl, I'm 25 now, was 24 at the time, they were mostly 19/20/21.. I wasn't the only mature, but the only girl. Plus I was coming into the second year of it so they already had their cliques formed. they turned out to be really sweet though!

Could have saved yourself a whole lot of time by throwing on one of these

They would have treated you like a God from the beginning :cool:

That t-shirt is awesome!! I had a Hello Kitty mouse! I can nerd it out with the best of them, though.. Fear not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

AeoNGriM wrote: »
    Yes, is the short answer. Started a college course last year and was the only girl.. At the beginning I had to be quite assertive and confident, but I earned their respect over time, eventually came out with some of the highest masks in the class.

What has one got to do with the other?

What does being popular or accepted by your classmates have anything to do with your grades?

(I'm assuming that was a typo and you meant marks)

It was more because I had never studied networking before.. My course before that had been more structured around web design and database methods.. I got a lot of jokes in the beginning and some scorn because I hadn't a clue what I was doing, and everyone thought I'd gotten in to get female numbers in IT up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

No to everything in the OP.
    Although in my current job, the MD is a woman as are well over half of the managers. It's like Beyonce runs this company :o (all da wimmin, who independent, throw your hands up at me)

In my last job the wimmin folks were sat at the desks doing the paper work while the manly men men were doing business lunches and saturdays on the golf course. It was just that kind of place.
    Even though it's the same industry, the attitude of management has made all the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Yes, is the short answer. Started a college course last year and was the only girl.. At the beginning I had to be quite assertive and confident, but I earned their respect over time, eventually came out with some of the highest masks in the class.
    I think you had a chip on your shoulder not them , assertive in a college classroom? Earning their respect ? They werent grading your papers were they?Typical woman thinks gaining her peers respect is more important than the results. Were you not popular at the start of the year and then got a make over then became the most popular girl in the school and gott a date off the quaterback
    Katgurl wrote: »
    what handbook is this?

The only time I've ever experienced it is things like clients donating rugby tickets and the girls not even being considered. However working in sales is pretty straightforward - if you're top of the sales board you are flavour of the month and vice versa. I've never experienced gender discrimination.

Why would girls be considered for sport tickets, this was agreed upon a long time before you and me , it was around the time frenchmen stoped wearing makeup and women stopped going to sports.
    Jim Corr reckons the illuminati made a deal to keep men and women apart they would give men sport and women make-up so they can look good for the men who might bring them for sunday lunch in the off-season if the weathers nice.
    This will help the illuminati inslave the human race by keeping birth rates down .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

No OP.

I work in a mostly male dominated sector and they certainly don't marginalise me or talk town to me because of my gender. I have never in fact (that I know of) been discriminated against because I'm a girl. And it's not because I spend my life flirting with my male colleagues. It's because they admire me because I'm d&mn good at my job.

Either that or they like the short skirts and the low cut tops I wear to get my own way and coast through life.

No OP.

I work in a mostly male dominated sector and they certainly don't marginalise me or talk town to me because of my gender. I have never in fact (that I know of) been discriminated against because I'm a girl. And it's not because I spend my life flirting with my male colleagues. It's because they admire me because I'm d&mn good at my job.

Either that or they like the short skirts and the low cut tops I wear to get my own way and coast through life.

Its so tiring women saying they are damn good T THEIR JOB , iN NEARLY EVERY FILM A WOMAN HAS A JOB IN THEY SAY SOMETHING LIKE THIS, its a job your hardly liberating the israelites get on with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Sindri wrote: »
    It's not brilliant. What uncouth oaf of a peasant are you?

There was absolutely no subtlety, it's only merit is that of shock and racial stereotyping.

I expected more from the illustrious dilettante that is Deux Es Machina, but I shouldn't have been surprised. If he couldn't come up with an original username then I probably have too high of an estimation of him. :)

Come at me bro!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

cloptrop wrote: »
    Its so tiring women saying they are damn good T THEIR JOB , iN NEARLY EVERY FILM A WOMAN HAS A JOB IN THEY SAY SOMETHING LIKE THIS, its a job your hardly liberating the israelites get on with it.

Quote four films where a woman says this.

Devil wears prada is one about the whole thing,
    any film where a woman is a cop/ police woman / forensic detective.
    A woman said it on the american secret millionaire the other night , she took phonecalls for a living ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Bullchomper

List the films - good idea - considering how accurate a reflection they give on reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

cloptrop wrote: »

I agree, and that comment of mine was firmly tongue in cheek. Boards doesn't have an emoticon for that though! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

men mostly dominate a conversation. Not in my house or social circle anyway. Pretty much equal. I don't think you can put any percentages or values on that anymore, OP, there is no such thing imo of vast differences in social dynamics and the role of women/men anymore. You choose where you fit in and how effective your role is. For example, with the issue of dominating a conversation; it'll only happen if you allow it to. It's not a case of anymore of a woman being the put up and shut up role anymore and not being the decisive figure in a household.

The only area where there are differences in dynamics is the law and workplace for women in terms of pay and possibly career progression in some countries in politics and business, men tend to be the higher majority.
    well.no not 19th century but I see women who require male validation all the time: ie only a man can make them feel like a woman. If that weren't the case there would probably be a lot more lesbians out there to choose from. I'm not generalising in that respect, these are the women I am familiar with. The generalisation remark was in response to Sindri's objective which was to understand the "hive mind" mentality of the female brain, which is kind of moot in itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Most people generalise nearly all the time about the vast majority of things

Advertisement