Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Other forums?

• 05-03-2012 8:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭

Just looking at that locked sticky it seems this forum is done if people cant paste articles and clips. What other forums do people frequent?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

Depends on what your looking for in a forum, ye this place is overly strict, but the few others I've frequented don't seem to have any modding at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

Just read the thread in question, I don't get it, it's not a huge deal, we can't copy and paste articles, so what, just link it.

Would have been annoying if we couldn't post YouTube videos though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I think Boards.ie tend to err on the side of extreme paranoia when it comes to copyright infringement. Their reaction smacks a little bit of trying to make a statement about the law than what they necessarily have to do to avoid being taken offline. Expecting Boards.ie to moderate the behavour of 10's of thousands of posters is ridiculous. Of course they were threatened with legal action before by those who shall not be named so maybe the reaction is justified.

I say relocate the server to Hong Kong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

I say relocate the server to Mogadishu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Would have been annoying if we couldn't post YouTube videos though.
    very true, i wouldnt think id post as often here if that was the case.

but the whole copying links etc will take some time to get use too, its just easier to reply etc to the thread or post when its there right in front of you.

is this new rule just for boards or is it some sort of internet crackdown? because i remember glancing through various articles/videos saying how the internet is going to change drastically in terms of what your allowed to do etc in the next few years... probally to combat piracy and all that.:confused:

anyone know or hear anything about that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

I'd hate for the record companies to get the better of this, I don't want to have to pay €21 for a 10-track CD anymore.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

So far this is just in Ireland and the 'SOPA', it's an aim to crack down on copyright infringement on the internet in Ireland.

There is also some other stuff in the act which is quite vague, and the motives of what is to be cracked down on is vague.
    So essentially they can pick a target, take aim and 'police' what they want to.
    The initial thing that I gather they are going after in sharing of music, movies and articles.

As far as YouTube goes, that has it's on copyright policies. You'll notice how certain video's cant be viewed in certain regions, or embedded or that have been removed for violation.

But I dont think that it's going to have much of an effect here, except for linking articles, rather than quoting.

I'd hate for the record companies to get the better of this, I don't want to have to pay €21 for a 10-track CD anymore.

to get the better of what man? no one really charges over 15 euro for a cd these days i dont think...

if its an album i desperatly want il buy the cd, but if theres only a few songs i want il download them via itunes or if im feeling bold the odd time il put on my pirate hat and patch lol:D.

but im with eircom now and they are absolute cu*ts for downloading music, even free material which i cant understand...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Basically C.R.E.A.M, they don't get money for you reading a qouted article.
    even free material which i cant understand...

UPC if you can get it, much faster and better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

What if i quote an article and add something of my own in and then say it's written by me? they can't call that copyright can they?

• Advertisement

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    What if i quote an article and add something of my own in and then say it's written by me? they can't call that copyright can they?

No they could do much worse than call copyright, as you would essentially be stealing their content and claiming it as your own.

(I am not a journalist but to do that legally you would probably have to reference them and it would have to be significantly changed to add something new. Yeah it seems qouting large passages is not legal in journalism. So you would need to write a new article that discusses that article and gives it credit. So on this forum you would have to link back no matter what anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Yo! MTV SUCKS

HYPEBEAST WE IN DIS!!!!!

Basically C.R.E.A.M, they don't get money for you reading a qouted article.

UPC if you can get it, much faster and better.

ye they do great speeds alright, only i want to keep sky digital in the house and dont want the tv from upc. Iv had UPC before in my old flat and had loads of trouble with them, think i was paying for 15 meg and only getting speeds of around 3 to 7 megs most times as there was a lot of traffic on the exchange point.

the speed i have is grand anyway at around 8 megs consistently with the NGB broadband, its just the downloading thats really starting to get at me lately.

Do you know what your usage cap is?

I was told it would be 30GB so that's why we left them for UPC, you don't have to buy TV to get UPC Broadband.

UPC have their share of problems too, I am convinced they warp my connection when watching streaming video (as it streamed faster under a proxy…) but all in all it is miles ahead of Eircom even with so called NGB.

Do you know what your usage cap is?

I was told it would be 30GB so that's why we left them for UPC, you don't have to buy TV to get UPC Broadband.

UPC have their share of problems too, I am convinced they warp my connection when watching streaming video (as it streamed faster under a proxy…) but all in all it is miles ahead of Eircom even with so called NGB.

i cant remember what it was man, but i recently switched from vodafone to eircom because of the usuage cap, i now have unlimited usage per month for roughly the same price which is great because i stream a lot too especially with the sky player on the xbox etc.

they have an awful reputation down here where im from, their cheap alright and do great deals but it seems there service is just unreliable and i know il get a reliable service from sky and eircom so i just fork out the extra few quid, i think its worth it.

but ye as far as speeds their light years ahead alright but in terms of reliability and consistency there far behind imo.

Huh it seems they upped there cap to 250GB same as UPC.

I have no problem with UPC, faster and cheaper. (actually you can get 100Meg for €50/m) Depends on where you are though, I don't know how reliable they are outside of Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I lurk SOHH forums, some damn funny posters there and you always hear about some good up and coming MCs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Orizio wrote: »
    I lurk SOHH forums, some damn funny posters there and you always hear about some good up and coming MCs.

That forum looks like the kind of thing I'd actually use.

Bloody hard to register for though. Won't send registration e-mails to gmail accounts. My college e-mail address doesn't do the trick either. We don't have .edu domains here..

Advertisement