Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bit of a panic - can any one advise

Options
  • 05-03-2012 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭

I have just moved house and got the phone line activated on the 1st march, the modem for the broadband was to be delivered on the 29th Feb (but we obviously missed the delivery) and it was sent back to sender by an post.

I know that it will take a few days to get another one sent out, but the reality is I need broadband tomorrow (my wife works from home and I have a college assignment due at the end of the week) ......

One option I was thinking was .. my mother has an eircom modem (she rarely uses) .. can I borrow that modem or is that a non-runner? do the modems have settings pre-registered for the phone line it is to be on?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Any of them will work, same settings username and password. Make sure it it is set up for WPA wireless not WEP like a lot of the older ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

whippet wrote: »
    I have just moved house and got the phone line activated on the 1st march, the modem for the broadband was to be delivered on the 29th Feb (but we obviously missed the delivery) and it was sent back to sender by an post.

I know that it will take a few days to get another one sent out, but the reality is I need broadband tomorrow (my wife works from home and I have a college assignment due at the end of the week) ......

One option I was thinking was .. my mother has an eircom modem (she rarely uses) .. can I borrow that modem or is that a non-runner? do the modems have settings pre-registered for the phone line it is to be on?

Hi whippet,

Thanks for your post. While you are waiting on your modem being re-sent, you are welcome to use any router that is Adsl compatible.

If you borrow your mother's modem then just see the following guideline steps :

Set up your Modem

If you have any problems, remember you can always call directly into Broadband Support :

*Technical Support: 1890260260 -8:am-10pm (7 days)

Best wishes,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

cheers for the response Ant.

Unfortunately i've had no joy.

The borrowed modem wouldn't work, it seems like there is a fault somewhere.

I was on to tech support, they could see the line has been activated and whatever test they can do in-house the line seems fine, however the modem keeps flashing on the DSL light (netopia modem).

In the control panel on the modem it has the line status a DSL Line down.

I was told I'd have to wait a few days for an engineer to call out .. which is frankly not good enough as this wouldn't have been a problem if the modem was delivered when it was supposed to be.

The original modem was supposed to be delivered not he 29th Feb, line activated on the 1st March. We were told there was an attempted delivery on the 29th by An Post, and I thought it might have happened when I was out the back garden, however when I rang an post it turns out they never even attempted deliver as they decided that there was no one by that name living at that address .... considering we only moved in on the 29th that isn't a surprise.

An Post didn't hold on to the package and it was sent back to eircom via Kilbarrack and Ballymount depots yesterday, so I could't even pick it up.

I called customer service yesterday evening and got the usual 'i totally understand your problem but we can't do anything' line.

the reality is I need to have my broadband that I am paying for since the 1st active today .. my wife works from home and I am doing a masters.

Is there anything that can be done or do I just have to cancel and go with someone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

whippet wrote: »
    cheers for the response Ant.

Unfortunately i've had no joy.

The borrowed modem wouldn't work, it seems like there is a fault somewhere.

I was on to tech support, they could see the line has been activated and whatever test they can do in-house the line seems fine, however the modem keeps flashing on the DSL light (netopia modem).

In the control panel on the modem it has the line status a DSL Line down.

I was told I'd have to wait a few days for an engineer to call out .. which is frankly not good enough as this wouldn't have been a problem if the modem was delivered when it was supposed to be.

The original modem was supposed to be delivered not he 29th Feb, line activated on the 1st March. We were told there was an attempted delivery on the 29th by An Post, and I thought it might have happened when I was out the back garden, however when I rang an post it turns out they never even attempted deliver as they decided that there was no one by that name living at that address .... considering we only moved in on the 29th that isn't a surprise.

An Post didn't hold on to the package and it was sent back to eircom via Kilbarrack and Ballymount depots yesterday, so I could't even pick it up.

I called customer service yesterday evening and got the usual 'i totally understand your problem but we can't do anything' line.

the reality is I need to have my broadband that I am paying for since the 1st active today .. my wife works from home and I am doing a masters.

Is there anything that can be done or do I just have to cancel and go with someone else?

As you say yourself, it's unfortunate that you didn't receive your modem from the courier when it was dispatched to you.

If using an older, borrowed modem and it's not working, it's probably best to wait until you receive your correct modem and equipment (rj11 and rj45 leads, Adsl splitter /filters etc.) that are supplied along with your broadband order.

Don't worry about the dsl light flashing, as this might even delay matters if you call in a broadband fault. If the issue turns out to be a faulty older, borrowed modem it may even confuse matters. My advise would be to wait until you receive your modem (and router equipment). Ensure that you use all the new equipment supplied, and do not use older leads and equipment supplied with your borrowed, older modem.

It may be helpful too, to advise the post office that you are living at your new premises and that you require all you post delivered.

As you say, eircom Technical Support have confirmed that your broadband is fully activated. While, Customer Care are now re-sending another modem. It's unfortuate that the courier didn't deliver your modem in the first place. It would appear clear that it was not eircom's fault that you didn't receive your dispatched modem. The courier appears to have taken a decision not to deliver your post on the possible grounds they didn't know you had moved into your new premises.

Once you receive your new modem, please follow the setup guidelines already advised in my previous post. If you've any problems with setting up your modem contact Technical Support straight away.

If you need me to check if your modem is already sent to you, just PM me with your home phone number or eircom Account number.

Alternatively, I can also check on the status of any fault you have reported with Technical Support.

Note, if you need to contact Technical Support directly on this, please call -

*Technical Support: 1890260260 -8:am-10pm (7 days)

Best wishes,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

cheers for that Ant,

The modem I borrowed was actually in use when I borrowed it, to eliminate any issues I used a new RJ11 cable (that came with the new phone) and used it with and with out the splitter and in a couple of phone ports in the house

I will PM you my phone number, if you can advise the status of the delivery of the new modem it would be great

• Advertisement
Advertisement