Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baikal IZH-27EМ-1C "SPORTING"

Options
  • 05-03-2012 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭

Has anyone any experience of these?

I'm looking at getting a beginners clay gun and I'm thinking a cheaper model may be the way to go as a beginner instead of shelling out money on a gold e or the likes.

This seem reasonable enough

Mulit choke
    29.5 in barrels
    shock-absorbing butt plate ( i imagine this does nothing at this price :P )

just looking for peoples views on the gun.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Baikal are good guns from what I hear, just make sure it fits you well or you won't be happy with it long term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Blay wrote: »
    Baikal are good guns from what I hear, just make sure it fits you well or you won't be happy with it long term.

That was my next question...Stocks...

When i was shooting some clays last weekend i used two guns...one had and adjustable stock and the other hadn't so how do i know if the stocks a good fit and what are my options if they dont?

I assume id have to go and try the gun for fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I won't pretend I can fit someone for a shotgun but when I got mine I made sure it fit into the pocket of my shoulder well, my arm didn't feel over-stretched when reaching to the trigger or the fore end and the rib and bead lined up well with my eye.

Read an article recently where the person suggested mounting the gun with your eyes closed, get in your stance then open your eyes, if your not looking straight down the rib, its not a good fit. I don't know how true that is so take that with a pinch of salt.

Always try and see the gun and shoulder it before you buy it would be my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Wind and Wave

I asked the same question early January this year. I presume you are talking about the Baikal clay gun with the ported barrels. I sought advice from alot of quarters and I am only talking from my experience but the information I got from an owner of a local clay pigeon club was that he had seen them break alot of firing pins. You are better off with a branded name secondhand. In addition it is all about the fit as other have said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Has anyone any experience of these?
    I'm looking at getting a beginners clay gun and I'm thinking a cheaper model may be the way to go as a beginner instead of shelling out money on a gold e or the likes.
    This seem reasonable enough
    Mulit choke
    29.5 in barrels
    shock-absorbing butt plate ( i imagine this does nothing at this price :P )
    just looking for peoples views on the gun.

Drifter,
    I have the IZH-27 and she's a no frills shooter. She breaks clay better than I and is great in the field.

You'll find that the Baikals are workhorses, can take a beating, but are not pretty. Which is not to say that they are ugly.

In general, these Russian guns are not going to have the fit and finish of the higher end models. However, couple that with the price and you have a trade off.

Chances are you'll have to fit the wood a bit, if you are a perfectionist. However, I shot mine right out of the box and she's grand.

Chokes are available in many different varieties: flush, extended, ported, skeet, turkey... Thus, she is well supported.

My fore-end cracked and I had a problem with the ejectors - a cartridge slipped under the ejector. I sent it back to Baikal and even though it was out of warranty, they fixed the ejector and put on a new fore-end. Thus, I appreciate their service and would recommend them. Keep in mind though that I am in the States so things may be different on your side of the pond.

Finally, the IZH is a field gun [or at least my model is] - two shots and you'll have to break her open. In doing so, the safety will always reset. On a trap gun, you can set the safety to off and shoot away. No big deal, my 27 has never seen a field, only clay. If the firearm you're looking at is sporting, you may not have the auto reset. In any case, it doesn't bother me.

The barrel selector single trigger is nice, I like to shoot the top barrel first.

If she's the right price, go for it.

As for fit, I suppose every firearm should be fitted. At the very least, shoulder the firearm and see if you can see the rail slope up, or determine if it is sloping down. Get the rail flat with your ideal shoulder using a shim. Just about everything else I will adjust to.

Here's a link to some chokes, not sure if they export. Get the extended ones, not having to always have a wrench around is worth the extra cash. Extended and ported if you want to splurge and look cool :cool:
    http://www.colonialarms.com/ct13.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Baikal are very sturdy no frills guns. They might not be as good looking as a Beretta or Browning that costs 4 times as much but they are solid. If the odd firing pin breaks ( that also happens with guns that cost a multiple of a Baikal ) so what, they're easily fixed at a very small cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

As Fisma and Stevie said, hefty, solid guns.
    They are by not wands, by any stretch of the imagination.:rolleyes:

Parts breakdown of the IZH-27 but it is in cyrilic script. :D

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/3362/85362.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Thanks for the replies guys...been putting this on the long figure past week as i was busy with work. Will get back onto it this week. Have contacts for two local gun shops i'm going to give a call and see if i can get out to one of them.

Advertisement