Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Network?

Options
  • 05-03-2012 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Just got a brand new Samsung Galaxy S Plus for Free!!

I've been on Vodafone pay as you go with an ould Nokia for the past few years, and this is my first jump into the world of Android / Internet / Smart Phones.

I'm looking to switch networks, and get data included on my plan, although, if it's possible to get ready to go and data I'd prefer it.

Any suggestions of what deals are good out there? I really am confused with the amount of choice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

look up the network's sim only plans. there was a very popular meteor offer in bargain alerts not too long ago - found the offer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Hi

if you look at the Signature from Fungus you can a guide with details on plans for Prepay and Sim Only plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

There is no best network, you would be better getting a prepaid sim with each of the networks, try it out for a week and see who gives you the best network coverage, data quality etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

kenobrien wrote: »
    Just got a brand new Samsung Galaxy S Plus for Free!!

I've been on Vodafone pay as you go with an ould Nokia for the past few years, and this is my first jump into the world of Android / Internet / Smart Phones.

I'm looking to switch networks, and get data included on my plan, although, if it's possible to get ready to go and data I'd prefer it.

Any suggestions of what deals are good out there? I really am confused with the amount of choice.

It seems you want to be (1) prepay (2) want data and (3) want a network other than Vodafone.

In that case, one of the best offers is the 20 EUR top up offer with 3. With each 20 EUR top up you get: 20 EUR phone credit, unlimited data, 3,000 any network texts and 3,000 3 to 3 minutes and 3,000 any network weekend call minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

I was under the impression that 02's data rates were considered comparatively expensive.

I may be completely wrong on that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭ArtOfEscape

Fungus wrote: »
    It seems you want to be (1) prepay (2) want data and (3) want a network other than Vodafone.

In that case, one of the best offers is the 20 EUR top up offer with 3. With each 20 EUR top up you get: 20 EUR phone credit, unlimited data, 3,000 any network texts and 3,000 3 to 3 minutes and 3,000 any network weekend call minutes.
    This! I did quite a bit of research before upgrading to my iPhone 4S and this was the deal I went for. It's great not having to worry about my data limit.

This! I did quite a bit of research before upgrading to my iPhone 4S and this was the deal I went for. It's great not having to worry about my data limit.

Great, glad to hear that you got a good prepay deal.
    wernstrom! wrote: »
    I was under the impression that 02's data rates were considered comparatively expensive.

I may be completely wrong on that one.

You are right on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,303 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The problem with the 3 offering though is that it expires sometime in march or april... whereas meteor, tesco and O2 all offer free calls/texts for life with €20 top-ups and allow you to buy data bundles for various prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

The problem with the 3 offering though is that it expires sometime in march or april... whereas meteor, tesco and O2 all offer free calls/texts for life with €20 top-ups and allow you to buy data bundles for various prices

It'll be extended or else people will go elsewhere.

Thanks for the heads up on that - they kept that very quiet when I signed up!

• Advertisement

mikom wrote: »
    It'll be extended or else people will go elsewhere.

They could technically cut it whenever they want though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

They could technically cut it whenever they want though

Like they were supposed to after Christmas.

They could also technically have a lot of PAYG users migrate away from them as well.

Thanks for the heads up on that - they kept that very quiet when I signed up!

Almost all PAYG offers have an expiry date. Nothing new.

Duly noted. I spent the last four years on a deal with Meteor that had no expiry date, so I wans't sure what the norm was. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Sham Courtney

My girlfriend and I are changing over to the 3 Network from Meteor. I don't always get 3G on mobile internet and she doesn't much coverage in his house up in Louth. I was talking to 3 and they didn't know what deals would come after the current prepay deals but they can't go backwards, they are not that thick! :)

My girlfriend and I are changing over to the 3 Network from Meteor. I don't always get 3G on mobile internet and she doesn't much coverage in his house up in Louth. I was talking to 3 and they didn't know what deals would come after the current prepay deals but they can't go backwards, they are not that thick! :)

You'd be surprised what the phone companies are thinking... Meteor had an offer there over the summer of €20 for free meteor calls and texts and 1GB of data... They changed it to require a €30 top up in September :o

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭gazzaman22

Metoer in the sticks

Any one know what meteor coverage is like in the sticks...Louth, Monaghan, it says on website 99% coverage but i've heard rubbish reports about coverage
    I'm currently with 3 and thinking of switching,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

You'd be surprised what the phone companies are thinking... Meteor had an offer there over the summer of €20 for free meteor calls and texts and 1GB of data... They changed it to require a €30 top up in September :o

That was part of the terms and conditions of the offer. Wasn't a surprise if you read the full details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I'm finding e-mobile's 30/30 prepay package fantastic value for my usage anyway.

30 quid gets you:
    • Unlimited Landline Calls! (I dial into Blueface VoIP for international and stuff using an 01 number!)
    • 350 minutes to any network
    • 350 texts (can be supplemented by webtext, viber etc)
    • 1GB data.
    Coverage's identical to Meteor, it's the same infrastructure and I've found their data really good where there's 3G coverage.

Their customer care's a bit ropey, but they get the job done.

I think their marketing's a bit off putting as you'd think it was the mobile network for 'awl wans' or something based on the very patronising ads. But, it's actually just Meteor with different price plans and an eircom brand stuck on.

54 quid on a monthly 30-day notice contract gets you:
    • Unlimited Talk (Irish networks & landlines)
    • Unlimited Text
    • 15 GB Data

Advertisement