Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should Bertie Ahern and Brian Cowen be put on trial?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭aquaman

Its a hard one, we voted them in and most of us loved that we could borrow endless amounts of money

Fools voted them in!
    People who justified voting for a party with numerous links to corruption with the warped logic "sure if they're able to make it (cash) for themselves they're the best men to run the country"??

Bertie sheds a few crocodile tears in the dail and the fools (electorate) forget the fact (documented in tribunal) that he'd been handed cash left right and centre for years!

Seriously? The mind boggles.
    I could never get my head around why people were voting for a crooked party. (I can't get my head around why they vote FG either mind you but thats another rant)

On the statement that we loved that we could borrow loads.. some did some didn't but people need to realise that the Irish people "going crazy" as enda recently put it and borrowing while rates were low is not the reason our economy has fallen down the jacksie.

The reasons are that 1. a negligent, corrupt government, decided to cut income (and other) tax to buy off the fools who repeatedly re elected them, and instead relied on fair weather construction related taxes to run the country (how wastefully this money was spent at the time is also another rant).

This coupled with 2. lax regulation of construction (resulting in too many poorly built buildings) in order to keep their builder mates building, unhampered and keep the fair weather taxes coming in.

And 3. lax regulation in finance. Ultimately ending with the fiasco that the banks had so overstretched themselves that they needed to and had the political connections to get the state (us) to take on their debts. Thereby adding to an impending huge deficit due to points 1 and 2..

It was not the builders fault, nor the bankers, nor the borrowers,in fact not even the unions. They all just lobbied to get what they could but they didn't make the decisions that ruined our domestic economy.

It was the fault of the power mad government (and to a certain extent the voters who thought that although corrupt FF were still fit to run the country).... so don't blame "us all" that is exactly what they want you to do.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Anyone wrote: »
    Is stupidity and incompetence a crime now?
    Reckless trading is a crime.

Those people had a job description and duties that they failed to carry out.

Didn't Bertie take an oath ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

RoverJames wrote: »
    He qualified as a solicitor, not exactly genius material surely?
    As minister for finance and than Taoiseach I reckon he was out of his depth :)

I'm not even a solicitor. Even I knew that bailing Anglo in a recession would bankrupt the state. Anyway as I said previously, he had many well paid advisers he chose to ignore.

Either a madman or a bad man did what he did.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

squod wrote: »
    I'm not even a solicitor. Even I knew that bailing Anglo in a recession would bankrupt the state. Anyway as I said previously, he had many well paid advisers he chose to ignore.

Amen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

does a bear poo poo in the woods?

Sometimes not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

cournioni wrote: »
    This is Ireland.

This case is thought to be the first of its kind in the world. Ireland are by no means unique in its inability\failure to prosecute its politicians

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Didn't Bertie take an oath ?

Course he did.

The FF induction oath involves pricking ones finger and burning a picture of a saint whilst reciting a vow of loyalty to the family.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

squod wrote: »

Sure didn't Anglo loan Treasury holdings another 300 million euro in 2009 (after the bank g'tee)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Sure didn't Anglo loan Treasury holdings another 300 million euro in 2009 (after the bank g'tee)

Probably. The interest rate was 7% AFAIR for loans like that back then. Double the return you'd get on a house mortgage and guaranteed by the government. Another total win for those in the loop and a total loss to the taxpayer.

Advertisement