Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At 28, I don't know where to start!

Options
  • 05-03-2012 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping that someone might be able to shed some light on a few questions, as (as the title suggests!) I don't know where to start. Here's my little story...

I fell into my current job/industry after school. It's an industry that you typically need a degree to get a foot in the door, but a combination of lucky breaks, hard work and I suppose a natural aptitude for the work meant that I bypassed college and worked my own way up. I'm now at a high level in terms of the company I work for, although not earning as much as I'd have hoped for. But these days, I find myself less and less enthused by the job I'm doing. It just seems more and more like a trudge, it's hugely unstable, long-term prospects aren't great and I really feel like I need a change.

Over the years, the only other job I could see myself being happy at, or enjoying long-term, is teaching. Specifically, primary school teaching. I love kids and I love the idea of having a hand in their education. But at this point (I'm 28 now), I've ruled that out, because I simply can't afford to go back to college full-time for the next four+ years. It's out of the question due to finances, I'm afraid.

Lately, I've been thinking more and more about Montessori teaching as an alternative. But any colleges I've looked up don't have any information about fees, etc., or how long the courses are, or whether they're actually good enough to get me a decent Montessori job at the end of it.

I'm stuck in a major rut with this and feel really ignorant about my options. I have no idea who to talk to. Just scrolling down this forum, I have no idea what some of the terminology used is - what a FETAC qualification is, whether I could apply for a grant of some sort, whether I could study part-time/at night, etc.

Bear in mind I don't have a degree of any sort, so this whole thread could be pointless due to that fact alone.

I'd be really grateful if ANYONE has any experience to share, advice to impart or words of wisdom to steer me in the right direction! Thanks for reading. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hi OP,

Re primary teaching the B.Ed degree is three years fulltime ;):)

The level of Montessori qualification you need can depend on what you want to do with it. There are a good few providers offering courses that would allow you to work in Montessori schools /playschools with pre-school or junior primary age children up to the age of about six.

If you do the part-time degree with St Nicholas College you can work as a Special Needs/ Resource teacher in Primary Schools

This is just some general info but there is more available on Career Directions: http://www.careerdirections.ie/ShowJobFull.aspx?job_id=615

and Careers Portal: http://http://www.careersportal.ie/careers/detail.php?job_id=302

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Don't St. Pats have an intense 18 month teaching course? not sure if you need a degree before applying but i heard competition is fierce and you need a high standard if Irish. Could be worth looking in to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Don't St. Pats have an intense 18 month teaching course? not sure if you need a degree before applying but i heard competition is fierce and you need a high standard if Irish. Could be worth looking in to.

Yeah you need an initial degree to do that course. Its a Graduate Diploma in Primary Ed.

St Pats Drumcondra info: http://www.spd.dcu.ie/main/administration/admissions/documents/EntryRequirements-PostGrad201205Dec2011.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Hi OP.
    You will need to get a degree first but 28 is still young to go back to college as a mature student. As you have not been in college before, you are eligible for free fees, and if your income is low enough (which it might not be) you could be eligible for a grant to pay the registration fee.
    If you are not working by the time you start college, you may or may not be able to collect Back to Education Allowance - this may help if money is a problem in attending college.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

I went back to do to primary school teaching at 28 and am not even close to the oldest of the mature students in my year. In St Pats, 10% of the students are mature.

Unfortunatley, for you, the 3 year B.Ed is no longer. Starting from next autumn, all B.Eds are going to be 4 years long in line with the international norm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

OP, if you consider the degree, I went back at 28 and it's absolutely flying in, and by the time i'm in very early 30's I could have my masters done and have this monkey off my back for good. I was similar position to you, got very good job, was very good at it, but education was always something that I felt was holding me back, as I didn't have a degree, but I have excellent experience, so now I said feck it, not only am i going to bang out my degree, but I want to go on to do masters and turn a monkey on my back into a strength to back up everything else i worked for.

It's a daunting task, I couldn't imagine what going back would be like at 28, but it's the best thing I ever did and extremely liberating from that feeling of rut that you talk about and I also experienced, and I'd really say to reconsider about doing you degree, it might be something you always wanted to do, something you might always regret not doing, but there's no time like the present, and it really really is worth it, trust me, and it flies by.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 InNeedofChange

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice and the links, definitely given me some food for thought.

Going back to do a degree would definitely be the ideal scenario, but unfortunately it's just not possible - even if the course fees were free, I have various debts to pay off, rent, etc. (not in a position to move home at the moment, either) and I can't afford not to work at least part-time/freelance. It sucks.

What's also really annoying is looking at that St. Pat's link posted above for the 18 month primary teaching course - I have all of the minimum requirements - a honour in Irish, English, Maths, etc. I know my oral Irish could be brought up to scratch, too. I just don't have the degree. It's so frustrating! I should have just gone and done a bloody generic Arts degree straight after school. Oh well....

Thanks again for your help, guys, much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 InNeedofChange

PS - Thanks Paperclip2 for the advice about St. Nicholas - remedial/special needs teaching is definitely something I'd like to do, so that might be an option, especially if it's part-time...

Advertisement