Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live Aquarium Plants

Options
  • 05-03-2012 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Hey all, would anyone here have advice on buying live plants for an aquarium, I've been intending to buy some for ages! Ive had some java moss and elodea in the tank for the last few months, both of which have been floating about the tank, quote messily, but I bought a new bunch of Elodea and anchored it right this time, I aslo have the java moss at the top in a mes net.

I was just wondering if anyone would have info on other plants to get (I have a coldwater set up, but I'm going to be getting some for my sisters tank which is tropical). And where would be the best place to but them, I've seen on here that aquaworld.ie seem quite good, I've come across another site called plantsalive.co.uk, but I'm not sure if they'd deliver to Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Things I've found do well in cold water:

Cabomba, anubias, java fern.

Check out tropica.com. They supply most petshops and give good info on growing conditions on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

ive java fern if interested

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭irishjay

do they grow in cold and hot water these java fern

Grow, thrive, and make lots of little java ferns in any water. I got some from Fungun a while ago for my goldie tank and now there's something of an epidemic :D

really look forward to growing this stuff..

• Advertisement

by cold water kylith means indoor unheated water in a lighted aquarium
    I do not know whether they thrive outdoors in a pond - some googling suggests they might be ok, but I really dont know how they cope with ice/frost

fungun wrote: »
    by cold water kylith means indoor unheated water in a lighted aquarium
    I do not know whether they thrive outdoors in a pond - some googling suggests they might be ok, but I really dont know how they cope with ice/frost
    I wouldn't recommend putting them in a pond at all. If they can survive frost then they'd be a potential nightmare if they got into Irish waterways.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

ive java fern if interested

I wouldnt have anyhting to trade with ya, well nothing worth while anyways!

Ive ordered from that aquaworld place, but that was on Wednesday. STILL havent heard anything back from them yet! might email them tomorrow :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

fintastic aquatics in dunlaoighaire have tropica plants, and will order any plant in for you they dont have

I'm afraid Dun Laoighaire (had to look at how to spell that!) would be a bit of a trek to though!
    Ive ordered from that aquaworld place, but that was on Wednesday. STILL havent heard anything back from them yet! might email them tomorrow :confused:

The guy (or some guy) rang me to tell me that he had a problem with my order, Fastway had damaged the order, so he wanted to call me to say he wanted to see what happened with it and when he sorted it out They'd redeliver them, seems like a nice fella! I didnt even know it was damaged until he rang! Think he gets them in through Tropica aswell!

• Advertisement

well, whenever these plants arrive, would I need to upgrade my lighting? its the default lighting system I've got from my Boyu tl-550, so its a pair of PL-24w bulbs, both are white/blue. I think the tank was intended to be a marine tank

your java fern will be grand even with iffy lighting.

er...i havent posted it yet though, need to get me some bags

you just saved me a pm . dont forget me too pal.... il fix you up on paypal if need be for post.

er...i havent posted it yet though

Oh, I didnt mean from you! I was on about the croud at aquaworld.ie.. its been about 3 weeks now, still waitin:confused:

Ok, so the order finally came in last Friday, so i took the plants out of their containers and plopped them in the tank as is. I opened up some time to properly plant the tank on saturday but im not quite sure I've done it right. My order contained:

• Alternanthera reineckii 'pink' (glass fiber) x3
    • Egeria densa x3
    • erect moss x2
    • Hemianthus callitrichoides "cuba" (glass fiber) x2
    • Monosolenium tenerum
    • Java moss
    • Vallisneria americana x 3
    • Willow moss
    Now the ones I've mentioned with "(glass fiber)" came in a pot with glass fibre in them, which the roots run through. I tried to take off as much of it off the roots as possible and push the roots into the gravel. I'm just wondering whats the best way to permanently plant these?. I had no problem with planting them in my sisters tank, as its only small, with no fish that like digging. But it's another story to keep them at the bottom with them f€ckin goldies constantly vacuuming up the floor... the other plants are doing fine, I've tied them to stones or other tank ornaments and the Vallisneria and Egeria came in ceramic rings.

Advertisement