Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

braces/jaw surgery... experience, advice, opinion appreciated

Options
  • 05-03-2012 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi everyone, just looking for some advice to help me weigh up my options...

Basically ive decided to get some work done on my teeth which ive been unhappy with due to their crookedness, overlapping teeth, gaps in my bite..

2 weeks ago, i had an appointment with a very good local orthodontist and was fairly happy with the treatment plan set out and the price quoted (just under 4000 euro for an estimated 12 months of train tracks on the top set and 18 months and 2 extractions on the bottom)

However, the ortho told me that although i could straighten my top and bottom teeth, there would always be a gap between them when i bite due to a jaw problem...

i was told that this could be corrected by jaw surgery...but the ortho was dismissive of it as a costly snd serious procedure

just to make the most informed decision i could, i asked for an appointment with the surgeon to discuss the procedure and im waiting on a call back

so im wondering does anyone have any thoughts on jaw surgey or had it done in the past?

it seems serious enough alright but id hate to spend that much money on braces and be unhappy at the end of it

also is there any way of closing the gap between top and bottom without surgery, maybe by building up some of my bottom teeth or something?

in the picture you can see how my teeth are, the main problem being the gap between bottom and top left hand side...i always thought my bottom teeth were worn down but have been told now that its all due to a jaw problem

anyway, any comments, help, info will be greatly appreciated...thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Vinzilla

heres the picture, forgot to add it in the original post...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Talk to an orthodontist.

You will not get medical advice on boards, and I imagine this thread to be closed very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Vinzilla

thanks for the advice but as stated in the original post ive already talked to an ortho...just looking for anyones experience with orthodontic treatment and/or jaw surgery or their opinion on it...it would really help me make a more informed decision, so i want any moderators reading this to know that im not soley seeking medical advice on boards but rather educating myself on the subject so i can decide for myself the best course of action to take instead of jumping to conclusions based on one orthodontsts opinion, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭day dreamer

Hi there

as has been said you cannot get the appropriate advice without seeing somebody, usually an orthodontist.

If your bite is very far out of line sometimes the only way to correct is with orthodontic treatment combined with jaw or orthognathic surgery. All his treatment is elective, you dont have to get it done, but you may not
    get the ideal result without it.

Speak with the orthodontist before starting treatment and get a 2nd opinion with the surgeon involved. there are often risks with this type of procedure so you would have to be very unhappy or aware of your teeth and bite and jaws beforehaving it done.

good luck

Advertisement