Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moyglare Hall, Maynooth

Options
  • 05-03-2012 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

Myself and my boyfriend have been looking at a house that's for sale here and just wondering abut the general area.

Is there anyone who lives here who could advise us re traffic situation? We both drive and will have to get onto the n4 to get to work in the mornings. I leave pretty early; around 6.40, so should be fine re traffic but boyfriend leaves around half 8ish, which I would imagine is peak time for traffic. Around how long would it take to get onto the n4 from here at this time?

We really only use bus or train for the odd night out if we were going into town so not really that relevant but I've heard there is a plan to extend the 67 bus up to Moyglare Hall, does anyone have any idea of a time frame or whether or not this is still going ahead? We have also heard about plans for a walkway from the rear of the estate onto the Moyglare Rd, is this something that's happening soon?

Is the estate mostly owner occupied or rentals? Are there many students living in the area and have there been any problems with students-i.e. noise or any messing going on? Is it over run with children as soon as school finishes/at weekends?

Any thought on the area from someone who lives there would be appreciated!

Thanks! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

I have a couple of friends living there and there seems to be a fair few settled families there. Given its distance to the college however, there are a few rented houses, but you will get that anywhere in Maynooth. It can just be hit and miss as to whether you get considerate students or inconsiderate ones, there's no avoiding it.

Regarding traffic- Maynooth town is reasonably fine coming through most of the time, but schools do play HAVOC with the main street at peak times. You'll fly through the town at the hour you are leaving, and I would imagine your partner will be fine as he is going against the flow of traffic, but it won't be as quick as if he were to leave a few mins earlier. You might only need to give 5 minutes to get to the N4, whereas he would prob need to give 10/15 mins.

The plans to extend the 67 bus route are in the pipeline, but have been for ages. There are no guarantees, and no set date at all. It's fine when it's bright to walk up the road, but there are conflicting reports about whether to walk or get a taxi at night. Personally, I'd walk if I was with someone, but I wouldn't alone.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I live beside the Straffan Road so have a great view of the traffic situation.Maynooth Traffic is a disaster but you will be going against the worst of it.
    Moyglare is gorgeous but very mixed with regards to rentals/students/etc I would suggest you drive around it at different hours of the day and night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Lived in Moyglare Hall for almost 4 years now.
    Estate is mostly owner-occupied, but some roads have more (obvious) rentals than others. Not too many students around though that I've noticed.

A fair few kids around, but the place isn't overrun - they'd be playing football on the greens etc.

The bus extension probably won't happen any time soon - after the council spending months deciding if they had money to replace the ramps at the school, Dublin Bus decided they had no money to extend the route (even though it was always in the plan).
    The walkway relies on the houses on the road behind the Green being built. So it's several years away, at least.
    It's a grand walk to the town, but I've never done it at night - a taxi is €6.

The others covered traffic - but if you work northside you might be quicker heading toward Dunboyne and the N3, and cutting out the drive through Maynooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

To get the the N4 from Moyglare Hall and avoiding the village, just turn right on coming out of the estate, right again, and then right again onto the Dunboyne Road and you'll come out on the Leixlip Road and you can join the N4 from there without hitting traffic. It should take 10-12 minutes at 8.30am to get to the N4 at the Leixlip/Celbridge interchange.

The latest update (2 weeks ago) on the 67 extension I received from a local councillor was that: We have been advised by Dublin Bus that they had a meeting with residents in Moyglare Hall recently and that "the residents indicated no desire from the community to have the 67 services extended." which both he and I found hard to believe.

If the bus were coming any time soon, the first sign of it would be work on the speed bumps outside the school on Moyglare Road, as these need to be adapted for double decker buses to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    The latest update (2 weeks ago) on the 67 extension I received from a local councillor was that: We have been advised by Dublin Bus that they had a meeting with residents in Moyglare Hall recently and that "the residents indicated no desire from the community to have the 67 services extended." which both he and I found hard to believe.

Me too. Most people were looking forward to it being extended.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 ismisekatie

i would be weary of school traffic. sometimes its desperate

• Registered Users Posts: 68,812 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Further on the 67 extension:

"The lengthening of route 67 to Moyglare allied to the significant levels of traffic congestion in the area would have an adverse impact on Dublin Bus operating costs. Given the above and the projected demand for this extension, Dublin Bus will not be applying to the NTA to extend the services at this time."

Traffic will get significantly worse when the new schools start construction and then open.

Advertisement