Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards falling in line with SOPA, this forum affected?

Options
  • 05-03-2012 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭

I couldn't help notice a few of the other forums have announcements on changes to fall in line with SOPA.

Are any such directions/guidance going to be put in place in this forum?

The law and what it is is stupidly open, broad and vague so I guess some guidance on what we can and cannot do now would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Policy is still being formulated, as for now at least no one is sure whats kosher or not. There'll be a site wide announcement later in the week once that's done.

Edit: Might as well put the current standing here - this is sbject to change either for better or worse once policy is established, but is what we need to do for now.
    1) we will no longer be allowing links to streams of copyrighted or licenced content such as sports events. Youtube videos are not affected as YouTube has revenue sharing arrangements in place with copyright holders and they monitor these things themselves.

2) copy and pasting a full piece of an article from a newspaper or blog etc will not be allowed. You may copy a paragraph of the piece and must provide a link to the source under what we hope will be seen as a common sense and fair use approach.

The first shouldn't affect this forum, as I believe it doesn't cover game streaming (think I saw it said by Dav somewhere, can't remember where), but the second is something to be aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Raphael wrote: »
    Policy is still being formulated, as for now at least no one is sure whats kosher or not. There'll be a site wide announcement later in the week once that's done.

Edit: Might as well put the current standing here - this is sbject to change either for better or worse once policy is established, but is what we need to do for now.

The first shouldn't affect this forum, as I believe it doesn't cover game streaming (think I saw it said by Dav somewhere, can't remember where), but the second is something to be aware of.

Copying and pasting something like MMO champ/Blues posts is something that would fall under this remit.

I would imagine simply referencing the author in the quote is enough to bypass this, as referencing is standard practice and referencing written material covers any potential copyright infringement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

That's what's being looked into at the moment, but until they have a clear answer from a lawyer, no more than a paragraph quoted and a link to the rest of the article is the rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 NinjaNinja

Firstly SOPA is a US bill, secondly it never actually was passed as an act... so why would it affect us?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

He means SOPA Ireland, the name given to the Irish copyright law that was recently passed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭oxo_

If you want to input your thoughts on copyright in Ireland, there's a Copyrights consultancy going on at the moment (not long left) for input from the public, you can get info from #crc12 via Twitter.
    It's a long winded form to fill in but, if you want to speak your mind, that is probably the place to do it via filling in that form and saying what you have to say.

A lot of the restrictions and stupidity I feel is down to big business/companies refusing to embrace technology, instead preferring to round the wagons and protect their own personal interests and pockets, criminalising kids in the process who just wanted easy access, not necessarily piracy (Look at Steam for example, I haven't pirated a game in years and years because of the convenience of Steam, not to mention the sales).

Personally, if it were me who owned Boards, I'd up sticks and move the whole lot to another country with less stupid industry led laws (corrupt lobbyists and stupid incompetent ministers) and tell the Irish government to FO. They'd soon realise how much they're losing when more started doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

oxo_ wrote: »
    Personally, if it were me who owned Boards, I'd up sticks and move the whole lot to another country with less stupid industry led laws (corrupt lobbyists and stupid incompetent ministers) and tell the Irish government to FO. They'd soon realise how much they're losing when more started doing the same.

Agreed,

A number of community sites I'm part of have just taking up hosting elsewhere, to which they fall out of the remit of this new legislation

And an added factor that its simply cheaper.

I've moved two of my community sites, relatively small and private, but just as a matter of principle.

Its unfortunate the irish providers will be taking the hits, been waiting long enough for decent providers to come along, and now its just a massive step backwards

Advertisement