Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AVB for Spurs??

Options
  • 05-03-2012 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

With Harry pretty much an england certainty - who next for us? How about AVB? He surely wouldnt cost much, wouldnt have the same interference by players/directors etc, highly thought of, tactically v good (chelsea aside) - maybe he could just be the "special one" for us going forward. He might revel in a secure working environment, like he did in portugal...

its a risk but not as massive risk - dont want moyes!!!

anyways just a thought!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

are you joking ? no way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

I wouldnt judge him solely on his Chelsea debacle, he was excellent at Porto, remember he is only 34.
    I wouldnt mind seeing him at the lane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

I'd win Porto the league.

No just no

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Any decent manager needs demands respect from his players, AVB just didnt get that at chelsea and therefore its highly unlikely he would get it from any other decent PL team.

I'm sure he's a very good manager, but he needs to cut his losses in the EPL and go back to Portugal, Spain or France for a few years and hopefully he will return a stronger manager one day

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

^ this.

He could be the next brian clough but he'll go down as a farce for some time. He needs to spend a few years doing some decent business in France/Italy and he'll turn it around.

Keep him away from us IHPMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Bit harsh to start such a thread considering we have a manager doing a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Bit harsh to start such a thread considering we have a manager doing a good job.

Totally agree Hatch, people bang on about Harry being affected by the England job yet their are Spurs fans discussing his replacement constantly. IMO we should concentrate on the rest of season and then what will be will be.

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Totally agree Hatch, people bang on about Harry being affected by the England job yet their are Spurs fans discussing his replacement constantly. IMO we should concentrate on the rest of season and then what will be will be.

why shouldnt we discuss his replacement?:rolleyes: i was at the game yday and the united fans were chanting "harry for england" throughout getting a great kick out of it. You telling me thats not affecting our players.

Dear old harry needs to concentrate on keeping us in the top 4 rather than thinking bout england because should we not finish in the top 4 we fcuked next season , bye bye luka etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

the funny thing about it is that if chelsea kept ancolotti and AVB stayed with porto and given the redknapp for england situation he would be exactly the type of manager we would be looking to come in and replace harry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

BERBA wrote: »
    why shouldnt we discuss his replacement?:rolleyes: i was at the game yday and the united fans were chanting "harry for england" throughout getting a great kick out of it. You telling me thats not affecting our players.

Dear old harry needs to concentrate on keeping us in the top 4 rather than thinking bout england because should we not finish in the top 4 we fcuked next season , bye bye luka etc.

I was there too, and that is football banter for you. I believe Harry is fully committed to getting us top 4, fair enough we have lost two games but remember one was a local derby away from home and the other was against United without 3 star players. I am going to hold judgement on the England talk affecting the team until after our next few fixtures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Would much rather see AVB than Moyes/O' Neil/Benitez. Would take very few managers, most of which are out of our reach, ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I'd take him if 'Arry leaves. He did a great job at Porto and didn't get a fair crack of the whip at Chelsea.

KingdomYid wrote: »
    I am going to hold judgement on the England talk affecting the team until after our next few fixtures.

You still holding judgement Kingdom? This England talk has really fcuked us the last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭eoinola

when will people realise that man management (which Harry has in abundance) will get us only so far, Jol had it too and that only got us so far too.... if we harbour any hope of really challenging we now a rich owner to buy us a title ala Chelski or we (and i would prefer this) NEED a manager whose has a very good tactical base, who can get us those wins against teams such as everton based on tactics on not just a simple lads get out there, do your best and win!!!!

The tactics v Everton, Man Utd, Arsenal - SHOCKING and has meant that 3rd place is going to be a tough spot to hold on to!!!!

AVB - worth a punt!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

eoinola wrote: »
    when will people realise that man management (which Harry has in abundance) will get us only so far, Jol had it too and that only got us so far too....!

You can hardly compare Jol's team and Redknapp's team. Jol at that point could only dream of having the talent Harry has at the moment. Two 5th positions with that squad was amazing.

Whereas Spurs have (arguably) the third best squad in the EPL. So if we finish below 3rd it would be an underachievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭eoinola

not comparing as such - just stating that both jol & harry brought their teams as far as they could and that what was lacking in terms of cutting edge was a tactical one... we have lost some crucial games in the last two three years where everyone has questioned the thought process behind selection, positions, dead ball strategy etc etc etc - would just like to see a tactical guy in now to improve what we have...

eoinola wrote: »
    not comparing as such - just stating that both jol & harry brought their teams as far as they could and that what was lacking in terms of cutting edge was a tactical one... we have lost some crucial games in the last two three years where everyone has questioned the thought process behind selection, positions, dead ball strategy etc etc etc - would just like to see a tactical guy in now to improve what we have...

I never agreed about Jol's sacking and still don't. I think he still had alot more to give to the club.

It needs to be alot of things and Tactics is certainly important. I've seen alot of people discussing it on other forums and AVB (as this thread is about) is not it at the moment.

I'd love to see Deschamps in charge that guy does seem to have all the ingredients (age, drive, awareness of talent, ability to manage at a high level, tactical ability and strong history in the game) and his contract is due to expire in the summer.
    On the 29 June 2010 Deschamps signed a contract extension that will keep him at Marseille until June 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

irishmover wrote: »
    I never agreed about Jol's sacking and still don't. I think he still had alot more to give to the club.

could not agree with this more.

i hated the whole jol saga. personally i think he done a brilliant job and i feel ramos undone all his good work.

keane=cock wrote: »
    could not agree with this more.

i hated the whole jol saga. personally i think he done a brilliant job and i feel ramos undone all his good work.

I was on holiday in Gran Canaries while this saga both started and ended.. Ruined my holiday to say the least!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I'm not going to start talking up Jol but I think if he had the squad that HR does then he'd be doing ever bit as well too.

He's had some great results at fulham.

• Advertisement
Advertisement