Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead or Alive 5

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Kuro Tao

Fergus_ wrote: »
    My Kokoro is too much for you guys sry.

After I go through Patrick I'm coming after you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Welp, better get a copy of the game now.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

Looks like a couple of shops broke the street date for Ultimate

http://shoryuken.com/2013/09/02/dead-or-alive-5-ultimate-day-0-video-round-up/

Is anybody getting this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

J0hnick wrote: »
    Looks like a couple of shops broke the street date for Ultimate

http://shoryuken.com/2013/09/02/dead-or-alive-5-ultimate-day-0-video-round-up/

Is anybody getting this ?
    I'm on the fence; most likely will try out the F2P version first.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Bento Sento

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I'm on the fence; most likely will try out the F2P version first.

Is the F2P version actually coming to the European PS store? I have only heard of it being released in North America and Asia.

Edit: Never mind I found out that it is being released in Europe. http://shoryuken.com/2013/06/05/free-to-play-dead-or-alive-5-ultimate-core-fighters-confirmed-for-united-states-and-europe/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Do like a bit of DoA on the side, but I've barely got any play out of vanilla yet. :pac:

Is the F2P version actually coming to the European PS store? I have only heard of it being released in North America and Asia.

Think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

If you have a US account, you can grab it now from the US PSN Store.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

My sis and her friends all play DOA5 while I'm left to my own devices on TTT2 :(. I want to get into this game (the free core fighters one on PSN) but I'd like some tips from any DOA5/Tekken players. What should I understand that's mainly different about this game compared to TTT2. What's the punish system like, the grab escapes, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Chris IWS

EMPEROR COW's series of tutorial vids are a good place to start. Works from beginner up to advanced.
    These were made before Ultimate came out, but he has a couple of Ultimate specific combo videos that will cover some of the things that are newly introduced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Bento Sento

DOA5 has a built in tutorial as well which is pretty good.

I have started playing DOA5U an awful lot lately, I would love to see more people pick it up. It is a really solid fighter but it gets a bad name because of..... well.... boobies. :D

Hey thanks, I had a look at some of the videos. I think I'll try the game's tutorial next time I fire it up. I find it kind of overwhelming to learn new games, but I suppose i have it easy coming from tekken given how much there is to learn in that game.

I'm guessing learning the frame data is going to be the thing that will take the most time. Blocking system seems a little strange. Whenever I want to block I end up doing a 'hold', quite annoying. The unblockable grabs are frustrating, I'm used to always being given a chance to escape. All the 'core fighters' are the the fancy ass ninjas, their moves are so quick and they flip around all the time. Wish I had bayman or something, just want a simpler, slower character.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Kuro Tao

Think of DoA as Tekken meets Killer Instinct.
    Unlike Tekken, and similar to VF, it's easier to sidestep moves with one tap of a button, but this also adds to the meta game because homing moves are used a lot more.

There's a rock-paper-scissors feel to DoA at all times.
    Hold>Strike>Throw>Hold.

Think of Hold's as combo breakers, learn to read your opponents combos and try to guess their next attacks by knowing their optimal damage etc etc.

Also, you get about 2-3 guesses before you potentially get "locked out" for lack of a better term, and then you'll eat some big damage.

There are also strikes that are unholdable, but most are unsafe on block anyway. (Except for Jann Lee's flying kick which is unholdable and unblockable lol)

The game itself feels rather frantic, and though I only spent a short while playing it, it was fun, bar the fact that everyone I fought didn't seem to know what the hell they were doing but still like 10th Dan ranks etc, but I guess that's just the spirit of the game...

Oh, and strings FTW because nobody knows how to deal with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

I'm guessing learning the frame data is going to be the thing that will take the most time.

Do not do this. If you're still struggling with holds and blocks you have absolutely no need to know anything about the frame data.

That's not supposed to be insulting, it's just a waste of time to learn that stuff before you understand and are more proficient with the game mechanics.

Had some local play with me sis. She kicked my ass, she plays this about as much as I play tekken. Think I'm starting to get a feel for it, especially that rock paper scissors feel you mentioned Kuro. I think I can get into this. Will probably pick up the full game eventually if I can find it cheap enough online. Don't like being limited to the 4 'core' fighters. I need to find someone I feel comfortable with and stick with em'. I'm thinking bayman since he's who I used to play in DOA2 but things have changed a lot since then.

I was surprised at the amount of unblockable, inescapable crap there is in this game. My sis just taught me about kasumi's running grab move. I asked what's the defence to the move, she said there is none. I just looked at her with a confused look. "But... how do you fight against it?" You don't, she explained, there's just some **** you're gonna eat in DOA.

She's probably wrong ;)

If it's a grab you should be able to mash out literally any strike move and be throw invincible IIRC.

I see. So can anyone explain what the defense is to that Kasumi move I mentioned? I think it's just the grab button from a full run to do it. I couldn't seem to escape it while practicing. Thanks

I see. So can anyone explain what the defense is to that Kasumi move I mentioned? I think it's just the grab button from a full run to do it. I couldn't seem to escape it while practicing. Thanks

If it's some kind of "unbreakable" grab?
    Jab her.

All grabs are unbreakable except neutral grabs (as in no directions or extra commands whatsoever) and the connections between chaingrabs.

You just have to throw out a move to stuff it, or just duck - I don't think there are any grabs that connect on standing AND crouching - but there might be now, I've hardy played 5.

• Advertisement

So you just interrupt everything? Bit chaotic but I think I can work with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Vorpal Laugh

I think it is also labeled as a counter-strike or some such in the game. In the DOA series work into a throw first The thing is a throw is good versus blocking trying for counter holds. One of the things I LOVE about DoA is how you can have throw, reversal, reversal, reversal. Its feels very kung fu movie Which goes to my next point. When your sister does that running grab does it say combo throw? If so you hitting the throw button can counter it. A lot of throws especially the more crazy or brutal are multithrows. sometimes the the 1st "throw does little or no damage but sets up for mean throw.

In 5 can you go to sparring and tell the computer to only do a certain move? If so use that to figure out how to beat that move.

Advertisement