Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

glass bedding

Options
  • 05-03-2012 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

i was looking to bed in the action of my cz 17hmr american
    is this wise or a waste of time and money
    who does it and where
    any suggestions

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Its not a waste of time or money as there will be a significant improvement in the rifle's performance as a result.

Glass bedding helps prevent movement of the action in the stock by providing a larger solid surface custom made to suit your action. It prevents over tightening of the action meaning you can take of the barreled action, and replace with little to no loss of zero. Sometimes it is done jointly with pillar beding whereby two metal "pillars" are installed and the epoxy moulded around them. All of it helps free float the barrel which prevents any diruption in the barrel harmonics thus giving you improved accruacy, and repeatability.

It can be done by yourself, but you would want a decent understanding of epoxy, small bit of DIY experience would also help. Best bet is to have a qualified gunsmith do it for you. Unlike threading a barrel, etc bedding is a job that when done right can be great, but if done wrong will make a mess of your rifle.

Contact Fergal White. Take to him for price, and benefits.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Did this to my CZ .22lr varmint custom stock. It did tighten up the groups a little but then they were good to start with.

452customstockbedding06.jpg

452customstockbedding03.jpg

452customstockbedding02.jpg

And fitted a Timney trigger

Timneytrigger.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭davekangoo

dropped my 17 down to dominic byrne today
    bed in the action properly float the barrel and do a trigger job it will be ready friday or saturday roll on the weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

How much he chargin ya?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

davekangoo wrote: »
    dropped my 17 down to dominic byrne today
    bed in the action properly float the barrel and do a trigger job it will be ready friday or saturday roll on the weekend
    Thats a quick turn around :cool:
    Should post up photos after ya get it back .
    Best of luck .

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭davekangoo

the beauty of it is hes coming up to dublin fri or sat so he said he would save me the drive.
    he has agood set up down there

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

How much would it cost to bed in a rifle? I'd like to get my 455 done.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭iTom

Can this be done to a syntenic stock as I was thinking of getting this done to my 10/22.

Advertisement