Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Varadkar to Irish Electorate: Vote Yes or else...

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Anyone else posting in this thread beside you guys?

*looks around*

*leaves*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Anyone else posting in this thread beside you guys?

*looks around*

*leaves*

Ah it is indeed AH.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭daltonmd

dvpower wrote: »
    No point arguing the toss with you.

@K9 - I remain undecided and your arguments (Like most yes ones) are not swinging me.

daltonmd wrote: »

@K9 - I remain undecided and your arguments (Like most yes ones) are not swinging me.

What No ones are swinging you?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

daltonmd wrote: »

My work here is done :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Like everything else, we're going to be borrowing for it or selling assets:mad:

If the sh1t hits the fan, its likely that we will be the sh1t, not the fan.

What happens if the sh1t hits the fan and we're not in the ESM? I don't hear a reasonable explanation from anyone on the No side on this question.

there will be another referendum , or some sort of eu bailout.
    eu has to do that

If this treaty is rejected, just how likely is it that we will be asked to vote again ala Nice?

A certainty imho. Which is one of the reasons i'm voting no

The problem here is that the government are having to play both sides: on the one hand, publicly talk up the economy for the benefit of citizens and the markets, and on the other hand deal with our economic situation (which they know well will probably entail a second bailout). If they admit that the second bailout may be required, then it certainly will be. If they try to bluff it out, there's a chance we won't need the second bailout but if (and likely, when) we do, they look like fools or liars.
    I think this idea "publicly talk up the economy for the benefit of citizens and the markets," is a complete nonense. If anything "talking up" the economy is proof when a country is in real sh***.
    I don't know why pols don't see this - I think they just feel they should do "something" and sadly its the only thing they can do..

InReality wrote: »
    there will be another referendum , or some sort of eu bailout.
    eu has to do that
    And the cost of that money will likely be a lot higher than money coming from the ESM.

Why the hell would we reject cheap money now, for the possibility of more expensive money later?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

It's. Time to bring down our PS. Service cost big time and SW as well go for the jugular.

Hootanany wrote: »
    It's. Time to bring down our PS. Service cost big time and SW as well go for the jugular.
    I don't see one political party advocating that.

Some people on boards sure, but no one willing to put that idea to the electorate.

Some people on boards sure, but no one willing to put that idea to the electorate.
    it's got to be done one way or the other. SimPle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

If we vote no can we get some leverage and wipe off some billions by haggling and then vote yes the next time? :)

Indeed, I think it has started to dawn on them that even the IMF aren't the saviors they thought they were going to be.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    If we vote no can we get some leverage and wipe off some billions by haggling and then vote yes the next time? :)

Just vote no PS will have to be sorted then only way afraid
    I have nothing afaist them but we can't afford this level of pay anymore more.
    It's not the pay it's the perks that have to go.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    Indeed, I think it has started to dawn on them that even the IMF aren't the saviors they thought they were going to be.
    I suppose theres always self flagellation to fall back on.

And the cost of that money will likely be a lot higher than money coming from the ESM.

Why the hell would we reject cheap money now, for the possibility of more expensive money later?

Maybe it will.
    There is so much going on I don't think paying even 1 or 2 billion more in interest is that important.

My view would be that a NO vote could / might / may

1. Mean that the Govt would neg harder to get the EU/Germans to pay for a share of the banking debt.
    2. That the Germans may ease up their hardline no deficit position.

I think this weeks economist leader article has a good middle way forward.

Like I said I'd hope a NO vote could trigger the above.
    Realistically I think all it will mean is another referendum.

I don't see a downside to a NO vote mind - I think the "lack of confidence" talk from the YES side is either misinformed or just scare tactics.

Maybe it will.
    There is so much going on I don't think paying even 1 or 2 billion more in interest is that important.
    I'd say that paying 1 - 2 billion more is very important.
    What would you be getting for this €1-2bn?
    My view would be that a NO vote could / might / may

1. Mean that the Govt would neg harder to get the EU/Germans to pay for a share of the banking debt.
    2. That the Germans may ease up their hardline no deficit position.
    Some vague hopes for the small price of €1-2bn? No thanks.
    I think this weeks economist leader article has a good middle way forward.
    It was calling for a "limited version of federalism" which implies more shared fiscal responsibility and oversight - something the treaty contains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'm going to vote no purely because if the No vote wins they'll make us vote again anyway and maybe next time we might have a clearer idea on what the fúck were voting for and then i may vote yes.

CJC999 wrote: »
    I'm going to vote no purely because if the No vote wins they'll make us vote again anyway and maybe next time we might have a clearer idea on what the fúck were voting for and then i may vote yes.
    If that was ever a possibility, it was ruled out definitively last week after Richard Bruton's gaffe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

I'm still undecided as to what I'll vote, leaning towards no, but just to the people voting no on the premise that we can negotiate some deal and vote again- This is an opt-in treaty. If we vote no, the rest of the countries which have ratified it can just go straight ahead without us. They don't need us to vote yes for it to go ahead (Like they did for Lisbon) so we have absolutely no leverage.

Really pissed me off the contempt some Irish people have for the big privilege we have here to be able to vote on each treaty. I will respect any vote, whether it's yes or no, as long as you ****ing are voting on the treaty text and not some vague notion we can be bribed or just succumbing to party slogans "Yes to jobs", "Voting yes means permanent austerity" blah blah blah.

I'd say that paying 1 - 2 billion more is very important.
    What would you be getting for this €1-2bn?

Some vague hopes for the small price of €1-2bn? No thanks.

It was calling for a "limited version of federalism" which implies more shared fiscal responsibility and oversight - something the treaty contains.

When the Bank Debt is 10's of billions ...

Is there another way to reduce it ?

If that was ever a possibility, it was ruled out definitively last week after Richard Bruton's gaffe.

How did Bruton's gaffe make another referendum less likely ?

Anita Blow wrote: »
    I'm still undecided as to what I'll vote, leaning towards no, but just to the people voting no on the premise that we can negotiate some deal and vote again- This is an opt-in treaty. If we vote no, the rest of the countries which have ratified it can just go straight ahead without us. They don't need us to vote yes for it to go ahead (Like they did for Lisbon) so we have absolutely no leverage.

Really pissed me off the contempt some Irish people have for the big privilege we have here to be able to vote on each treaty. I will respect any vote, whether it's yes or no, as long as you ****ing are voting on the treaty text and not some vague notion we can be bribed or just succumbing to party slogans "Yes to jobs", "Voting yes means permanent austerity" blah blah blah.

I see a NO vote more as encourging our govt to be more aggressive in its negotions (sp) , than anything else.
    We have quite a lot leverage as a member of the Euro, its just that almost all the goverment pols are almost brainwashed to be pro-EU even when France and Germany are running the ECB to suit their own interests.

I have a lot of regard for the fact we can vote and that we , along with the Greece voters , the only public / democratic response to the current EU planners.

How did Bruton's gaffe make another referendum less likely ?
    Because after it, various Government ministers including Bruton and the Taoiseach publicly stated that there would be no second referendum.

When the Bank Debt is 10's of billions ...

Is there another way to reduce it ?
    Probably not. We might be able to get some of it federalized down the line, but I think we are just going to have to grow and inflate our way through it.

Because after it, various Government ministers including Bruton and the Taoiseach publicly stated that there would be no second referendum.

Ah I hadn't see them. Will have to find this thread next year :)

Will have to check if paddy power are giving odds on another referendum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Probably not. We might be able to get some of it federalized down the line, but I think we are just going to have to grow and inflate our way through it.

From what I have taken about this referendum is that it will lead to further austerity, and I gather a lot more people think this, not just me.

If there is further austerity after a yes vote, how would it be possible to grow and inflate our way out of it?

mishkalucy wrote: »
    [/B]

From what I have taken about this referendum is that it will lead to further austerity, and I gather a lot more people think this, not just me.

If there is further austerity after a yes vote, how would it be possible to grow and inflate our way out of it?
    There will be further austerity no matter how we vote, but more after a No vote because that shuts us off from the ESM and results in probable downgrades by the rating agencies leading to higher bond prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

There will be further austerity no matter how we vote, but more after a No vote because that shuts us off from the ESM and results in probable downgrades by the rating agencies leading to higher bond prices.

I am not trying to be argumentative as sometimes happens in these posts :rolleyes: but genuinely trying to make an informed choice.

So we borrow more money even after austerity?

Doesn't make sense to me

• Advertisement

mishkalucy wrote: »
    I am not trying to be argumentative as sometimes happens in these posts :rolleyes: but genuinely trying to make an informed choice.

So we borrow more money even after austerity?

Doesn't make sense to me
    This isn't a vote on austerity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

borrow money at low interest - yes

borrow money at high interest - no

make ur vote

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Austerity either way it seems .

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭i8mancs

I see a NO vote more as encourging our govt to be more aggressive in its negotions (sp) ,

Im on the floor here with laughter, teachers aggressive :D

Advertisement